If you try to please everyone, somebody is not going to like it.

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etcdalewilli...@gmail.com
+- Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etcGraham
`- Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etcMark Lipton

1
TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc

<f87b5b54-6675-43a1-a2a5-6ae9831501e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=527&group=alt.food.wine#527

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:25 UTC

Most of the week off recuperating from a procedure. Ready for a glass by Sat.

With swordfish, lentils, sourdough discard pancake, salad, the 2022 Tiberio Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo Herby, crunchy, rich strawberry/cherry fruit, lemon zest. Pairs well with the swordfish. B+

With grilled halibut (how did I ever grill fish without a thermopro?), Israeli couscous, and salad
2021 Baudry Le Domaine Chinon Blanc. Sweet apple, orange zest, saline/mineral finish, quite good. B+

I wasn’t up for usual 30-50 person Labor Day party (too much cooler and table moving), but felt we could handle 8 friends. I made salsa and grilled leeks with mustard vinaigrette, Betsy made potato salad and smashed cucumber salad. I grilled clams, pork Andouille, chicken sausage, Tbone and top round (I’m doing low fat) marinated in fish sauce, and a nice Flannery hanger that Mark brought. Others brought cheese/salami hors d’oeuvres, cabbage/pepper/onion pie, pasta salad, and a plum tart.

2022 Baudry Chinon Rose
Classic, easy, ripe year but still some zip. B+/B

2018 de Vodanis Vouvray
Sec tendre, good acids but some surprising heat on finish makes me less a fan. B-/C+

2012 Mt Eden Chardonnay Reserve
White fruits, citrus zest, floral, just a hint of butterscotch. Not my usual clam wine but it works. B+

1998 Ch. la Gaffeliere
Opened a 98 for sentimental reasons. The great ‘98 vintage gives this a bit more oomph than usual Gaffeliere, this is in a nice spot - herbal, elegant, and surprisingly complex with a cigarbox profile that is totally ready. Not really very long, but a very good showing. B++
..

2005 Vieux Chateau Certan
This is VERY young, but this is going to a great great wine. Cassis, black plum, cocoa powder and a touch of vanilla. Very pure fruit, smooth tannins, an acidic backbone that is totally integrated. Even though you can tell it is coiled it’s pretty tasty, but in 15 years I expect this will be utterly brilliant. B+ with solid A future

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc

<KnLJM.800592$TCKc.336050@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=528&group=alt.food.wine#528

Subject: Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 13:32:57 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:32 UTC

On 2023-09-05 12:25 p.m., dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Most of the week off recuperating from a procedure. Ready for a glass by Sat.
>
> With swordfish, lentils, sourdough discard pancake, salad, the 2022 Tiberio Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo Herby, crunchy, rich strawberry/cherry fruit, lemon zest. Pairs well with the swordfish. B+
>
> With grilled halibut (how did I ever grill fish without a thermopro?), Israeli couscous, and salad
> 2021 Baudry Le Domaine Chinon Blanc. Sweet apple, orange zest, saline/mineral finish, quite good. B+
>
> I wasn’t up for usual 30-50 person Labor Day party (too much cooler and table moving), but felt we could handle 8 friends. I made salsa and grilled leeks with mustard vinaigrette, Betsy made potato salad and smashed cucumber salad. I grilled clams, pork Andouille, chicken sausage, Tbone and top round (I’m doing low fat) marinated in fish sauce, and a nice Flannery hanger that Mark brought. Others brought cheese/salami hors d’oeuvres, cabbage/pepper/onion pie, pasta salad, and a plum tart.
>
> 2022 Baudry Chinon Rose
> Classic, easy, ripe year but still some zip. B+/B
>
> 2018 de Vodanis Vouvray
> Sec tendre, good acids but some surprising heat on finish makes me less a fan. B-/C+
>
> 2012 Mt Eden Chardonnay Reserve
> White fruits, citrus zest, floral, just a hint of butterscotch. Not my usual clam wine but it works. B+
>
> 1998 Ch. la Gaffeliere
> Opened a 98 for sentimental reasons. The great ‘98 vintage gives this a bit more oomph than usual Gaffeliere, this is in a nice spot - herbal, elegant, and surprisingly complex with a cigarbox profile that is totally ready. Not really very long, but a very good showing. B++
> .
>
> 2005 Vieux Chateau Certan
> This is VERY young, but this is going to a great great wine. Cassis, black plum, cocoa powder and a touch of vanilla. Very pure fruit, smooth tannins, an acidic backbone that is totally integrated. Even though you can tell it is coiled it’s pretty tasty, but in 15 years I expect this will be utterly brilliant. B+ with solid A future
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Great to see you back on form!
Graham

Re: TN: Bdx, Loire, Santa Cruz, etc

<udacoj$2j9ld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=529&group=alt.food.wine#529

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 13:26:43 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:26 UTC

On 9/5/23 2:25 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Most of the week off recuperating from a procedure. Ready for a glass by Sat.

Welcome back, Dale! Nice lineup of wines, too (NHO that Vouvray
producer, though)

Mark Lipton