From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: OR, Oc, Oz, Bdx, Burg, Bojo, Champagne, CA
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:06:07 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 20:06 UTC

On 9/25/23 2:54 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2022 de Negoce OG 347 Sauvignon Blanc (Limestone Coast)
> I had watched with fascination (amazement? Horror? ) the de Negoce fanboi culture. So opted to try this. Oh well. Supertropical, sweet edged, big- not what I am looking for in SB. B-/C+

Heh. I guess I'm far enough out of the loop now that I'd never heard of
this label. Just finished reading up on Cameron Hughes and de Negoce.
Fascinating, I suppose.

> 2020 Maurice Ecard “Serpentieres” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
> I used to love Ecard (02 Narbantons was great recently) , haven’t seen in a while. This has some nice crunchy black cherry and pomegranate fruit, but seems a little less structured and more glossy than the Ecards of old. But still pleasant after the 2 loser whites. B

So Maurice Ecard must have retired about 15-20 years ago now? This wine
would have been made by Francois Martenot, about whom I know almost
nothing except that it's a very large operation with many labels.
There's such a wealth of good options in SLB these days (Pavelot, CdB,
Rollin). I do have fond memories of the old Ecard wines, including that
'02 Narbantons (CT tells me that we consumed it 11 years ago)

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: OR, Oc, Oz, Bdx, Burg, Bojo, Champagne, CA

<f5fa9cd1-2ae9-4e2b-949b-b33e44302b7fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=538&group=alt.food.wine#538

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:21 UTC

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 4:06:12 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 9/25/23 2:54 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > 2022 de Negoce OG 347 Sauvignon Blanc (Limestone Coast)
> Heh. I guess I'm far enough out of the loop now that I'd never heard of
> this label. Just finished reading up on Cameron Hughes and de Negoce.
> Fascinating, I suppose.

I used to have a friend who loved the CH wines. Decently made, but always in a riper vein. It was bizarre on wine boards last couple years as the de Negoce wines came out, people buying huge numbers of cases of wines they hadn't tasted, because they were "following the clues." Even if you THINK you know it's XYZ winery, it's the wine they chose not to sell under their name!

> > 2020 Maurice Ecard “Serpentieres” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
So Maurice Ecard must have retired about 15-20 years ago now? This wine
> would have been made by Francois Martenot, about whom I know almost
> nothing except that it's a very large operation with many labels.
> There's such a wealth of good options in SLB these days (Pavelot, CdB,
> Rollin). I do have fond memories of the old Ecard wines, including that
> '02 Narbantons (CT tells me that we consumed it 11 years ago)

Aha, I forgot, he retired, but his son opened own label right? So this is Ecard in name only. Thanks for jogging my memory