Just remember, wherever you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Bonzai

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekenddalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekendMark Lipton
 `- Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekenddalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend

<9884af51-8242-4c5f-8077-9ebbc9c9014dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=544&group=alt.food.wine#544

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:51 UTC

With oysters 2021 Pepiere "Gras Moutons" Muscadet. Pear and white flowers, bright acids, more fruit driven than a Briords but still a good mineral/oystershell finish. Could age but tasty right now. B+

Chicken thighs with zucchini and cherry tomatoes, with the 1996 Dehlinger “Octagon Vineyard” Pinot Noir. Listed as 14.5% but tastes hotter, decaying black plum with a cola accent. C+

Teriyaki salmon, collards in a coconut milk sauce (told Betsy “do again”), haiga rice with furikake and nori
2021 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly
Another tasty bright 2021 Beaujolais, Black and red cherries, smoke, a little cocoa. B+

Up to Croton for a tasting. Theme was N. Rhone, John had a nice spread of cheese and charcuterie and some bubbles waiting

NV Vix-Bara Blanc de Blancs Champagne
New producer to me, but John says it is made by Grongnet, whose wines I enjoy. Snappy green apple fruit, almond/hazelnit, a little oak. I like more than some others. B+/B

NV (2005) Charles Heidsieck Special Edition Brut Rose.
Bottled 2006, disgorged 2019.
Complex, red fruit with rye bread and citrus zest, excellent value, Dan says he loves it because it’s “winey.” B+

1999 Allemand Chaillot Cornas
Sweet blackberry, hint of feral/animal, black olives. Lovely and complex. B+/A-

1999 Texier Hermitage
Red fruits, bacon/smoked meats, violets. Balanced, long, lovely, classy. A-

1999 Delas “Les Bessards” Hermitage
Some people liked more than I did, a little funky and oxidative, there’s a soy note under the black fruits. Unsure if representative bottle. B-

Dan’s blind bottles. I whiffed, said Cornas, once we knew Hermitage my vintage guesses were 1990 and 1996 (wrong wine for the 1990). We made it to Chapoutier by oak notes, but I think this is restrained compared to recent Chapoutier (and “bigger” bottlings)

Dan’s Left Bottle- tight, opens in glass, a dark fruit with some nice smoke notes, but a little soft and tired. 1989 Chapoutier “Sizeranne”Hermitage B/B-

Dan’s Right Bottle- black fruits and black pepper, an almost Bordeaux-like pencil shaving note, drinking well. 1990 Chapoutier “Sizeranne”Hermitage B+

About here John served a great beef stew.

1998 Ogier Cote-Rotie
Black and blue berries, some olive and meat, lovely nose and nice flavors but on palate a bit caught up in its structure, hopefully will blossom a bit.. B/B+

1991 Ogier Cote-Rotie
Lovely complex nose, bacon fat and pepper, balanced mouthfeel, long. A-

1985 Guigal Hermitage
Porty, roasted notes, clipped finish, not fun. C+

1970 Chapoutier “Sizeranne”Hermitage
Snappy berries, green leaves, white pepper. Holding well, delicious. B+/A-

John had a backup for the ‘70, not needed, but he poured blind as replacement for the 85 Guigal. He said Rhone, we were puzzled till we realized he didn’t say Northern. Once we were in CdP still took while to get vintage, and he had to tell us producer. Raspberry, garrigue, coffee, bacon, Divided group, I liked. 1981 Vieux Telegraph Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+/B

John was blinding group with a Bdx when I left, sorry to miss 70 Chasse Spleen.

About 5 inches of rain Fri, stressful but sump pump prevailed (others were not so lucky, lots of flooding) Dinner was black cod in miso, umeboshi rice balls, and ohitashi spinach.

1993 Michel Gaunoux Beaune
‘93 acids, cranberry and raspberry, earth, tasty but rather straightforward with complexity I’d hope with age. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend

<ufei83$2vhok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=545&group=alt.food.wine#545

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 09:57:23 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:57 UTC

On 9/30/23 3:51 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Chicken thighs with zucchini and cherry tomatoes, with the 1996 Dehlinger “Octagon Vineyard” Pinot Noir. Listed as 14.5% but tastes hotter, decaying black plum with a cola accent. C+

Sigh. A Pinot Noir from Tom Dehlinger (78? 79?) set me on the path of
wine appreciation. Haven't had one in 25+ years, though.

> Teriyaki salmon, collards in a coconut milk sauce (told Betsy “do again”), haiga rice with furikake and nori
> 2021 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly
> Another tasty bright 2021 Beaujolais, Black and red cherries, smoke, a little cocoa. B+

How were the tannins on this? I've got some in the cellar but am leery
of the backwardness of Cote de Brouilly.

> Up to Croton for a tasting. Theme was N. Rhone, John had a nice spread of cheese and charcuterie and some bubbles waiting
<SNIP> What a great tasting! You lucky dog.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: Rhones, PN, Gamay, Melon on a rainy weekend

<66084afe-39e1-43a0-989f-53803f36d2c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=547&group=alt.food.wine#547

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:02:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 9:57:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 9/30/23 3:51 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> > 2021 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly
> > Another tasty bright 2021 Beaujolais, Black and red cherries, smoke, a little cocoa. B+
> How were the tannins on this? I've got some in the cellar but am leery
> of the backwardness of Cote de Brouilly.
Some tannin, but at moment I found pretty approachable, but I'd expect that there's a shutdown acoming!