From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess,rec.games.chess.misc
Subject: Re: Arthur Feuerstein dies at 86.
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:07:46 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 16:07 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:20:26 -0500, crufty@example.org wrote:

>Very sad. I knew him.
>
>Arthur Feuerstein, Chess Player With a Comeback Gambit, Dies at 86
>
>Once one of the country's best young players, he became a top player
>again after a car crash left him slipping in and out of consciousness.
>
>By Dylan Loeb McClain
>Feb. 22, 2022
>
>Arthur Feuerstein, who was once one of the best young chess players in
>the United States, even managing to hold his own against Bobby
>Fischer, and who survived a horrific head injury to once again become
>a top player, died on Feb. 2 in Mahwah, N.J. He was 86.
>
>His wife, Alice Feuerstein, said the cause was pancreatic and liver
>cancer.

Yes, very sad. I've known this for several days.

I also knew him, and played against him many times. But as far as I
know, after the car crash, although he still played, he was far from
being a top player. I never played against him again after the crash,
but another close friend of both of us did, and said he was much
weaker.

Re: Arthur Feuerstein dies at 86.

<ae8c31da-b4c2-4c5a-b20b-283a13435405n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=547&group=rec.games.chess.misc#547

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:05:54 -0800 (PST)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:05 UTC

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 11:07:51 AM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:20:26 -0500, cru...@example.org wrote:
>
> >Very sad. I knew him.
> >
> >Arthur Feuerstein, Chess Player With a Comeback Gambit, Dies at 86
> >
> >Once one of the country's best young players, he became a top player
> >again after a car crash left him slipping in and out of consciousness.
> >
> >By Dylan Loeb McClain
> >Feb. 22, 2022
> >
> >Arthur Feuerstein, who was once one of the best young chess players in
> >the United States, even managing to hold his own against Bobby
> >Fischer, and who survived a horrific head injury to once again become
> >a top player, died on Feb. 2 in Mahwah, N.J. He was 86.
> >
> >His wife, Alice Feuerstein, said the cause was pancreatic and liver
> >cancer.
>

> Yes, very sad. I've known this for several days.
>
> I also knew him, and played against him many times. But as far as I
> know, after the car crash, although he still played, he was far from
> being a top player. I never played against him again after the crash,
> but another close friend of both of us did, and said he was much
> weaker.

I didn't know him at all, but I was in one tournament with him, the 1971 CNE open in Toronto,
an event with six grandmasters (back when there were only 100 in the world).

I was weak, and playing even weaker than that, so there was no chance
we would be paired. I seem to recall watching his game against a
local IM, probably Larry Day.

Benko and R Byrne won with scores of 6-0, ahead of Spassky who could
only draw with Day. Feuerstein wrote it up with a very complimentary
article in CL&R in which among other things he complimented Toronto on
having classical music on AM radio (no more, though it lasted another
twelve years or so).

Great player and a gentleman.

William Hyde

Re: Arthur Feuerstein dies at 86.

<d5uh1h50r4qkjcfefcqethf7qnmp2tf5u9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=555&group=rec.games.chess.misc#555

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 08:42:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:42 UTC

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:05:54 -0800 (PST), William Hyde
<wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 11:07:51 AM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:20:26 -0500, cru...@example.org wrote:
>>
>> >Very sad. I knew him.
>> >
>> >Arthur Feuerstein, Chess Player With a Comeback Gambit, Dies at 86
>> >
>> >Once one of the country's best young players, he became a top player
>> >again after a car crash left him slipping in and out of consciousness.
>> >
>> >By Dylan Loeb McClain
>> >Feb. 22, 2022
>> >
>> >Arthur Feuerstein, who was once one of the best young chess players in
>> >the United States, even managing to hold his own against Bobby
>> >Fischer, and who survived a horrific head injury to once again become
>> >a top player, died on Feb. 2 in Mahwah, N.J. He was 86.
>> >
>> >His wife, Alice Feuerstein, said the cause was pancreatic and liver
>> >cancer.
>>

>> Yes, very sad. I've known this for several days.
>>
>> I also knew him, and played against him many times. But as far as I
>> know, after the car crash, although he still played, he was far from
>> being a top player. I never played against him again after the crash,
>> but another close friend of both of us did, and said he was much
>> weaker.
>
>I didn't know him at all, but I was in one tournament with him, the 1971 CNE open in Toronto,
>an event with six grandmasters (back when there were only 100 in the world).

I played against him many times. Oddly enough, although he was
considerably stronger than me, we almost always drew.