Confessions may be good for the soul, but they are bad for the reputation. -- Lord Thomas Dewar

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

SubjectAuthor
* Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - QuestionGillian Mckenna
`* Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - QuestionJohnny Brananas
 `* Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Questionlancast...@gmail.com
  `* Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - QuestionJohnny Brananas
   `* Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - QuestionGillian Mckenna
    `- Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - QuestionGillian Mckenna

1
Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<112d1153-0dd8-4a7c-9acc-67040d4e1d19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5479&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5479

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question
From: gillianm...@gmail.com (Gillian Mckenna)
 by: Gillian Mckenna - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:20 UTC

Hi All,

According to Sussex Archaeological Collections vol III, Sir Roger Lewknor and Eleanor Camoys (first wife) had a son Roger the elder. Sir Roger also had a second son Roger the younger described as Sir Roger of West Dean. Looking at many trees on line, Roger the younger was the son of Sir Roger and Mary West.

Sir Roger the father wrote a will in 1478 which mentions both sons Roger, described as younger and elder. All sons mentioned are: Richard, Roger the elder, Roger the younger, Edward, George, Thomas, Reynold and William.

Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere had a will dated 1509 which mentions his father Sir Roger Lewknor, his brother William, sons Roger & Edmund and 4 daughters.

Now my question, in all online trees, the younger Roger son is described as of Tangmere with a death in 1509 corresponding to the above will. Why would he describe himself as Roger the elder in his will?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Gillian

Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<07fa1f6b-6907-47f6-ba8f-52369e10178bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5480&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5480

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:48 UTC

On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 1:20:38 PM UTC-4, gillianm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> According to Sussex Archaeological Collections vol III, Sir Roger Lewknor and Eleanor Camoys (first wife) had a son Roger the elder. Sir Roger also had a second son Roger the younger described as Sir Roger of West Dean. Looking at many trees on line, Roger the younger was the son of Sir Roger and Mary West.
>
> Sir Roger the father wrote a will in 1478 which mentions both sons Roger, described as younger and elder. All sons mentioned are: Richard, Roger the elder, Roger the younger, Edward, George, Thomas, Reynold and William.
>
> Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere had a will dated 1509 which mentions his father Sir Roger Lewknor, his brother William, sons Roger & Edmund and 4 daughters.
>
> Now my question, in all online trees, the younger Roger son is described as of Tangmere with a death in 1509 corresponding to the above will. Why would he describe himself as Roger the elder in his will?
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts
>
> Gillian

Possibly because his own son Roger would now be considered "Roger the younger." But there could be a mix-up between the brothers in those online trees.

Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<7781ceee-499a-4c27-87a6-301fbdc317dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5481&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5481

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: lancaste...@gmail.com (lancast...@gmail.com)
 by: lancast...@gmail.com - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:04 UTC

On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 7:48:10 PM UTC+2, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 1:20:38 PM UTC-4, gillianm...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > According to Sussex Archaeological Collections vol III, Sir Roger Lewknor and Eleanor Camoys (first wife) had a son Roger the elder. Sir Roger also had a second son Roger the younger described as Sir Roger of West Dean. Looking at many trees on line, Roger the younger was the son of Sir Roger and Mary West.
> >
> > Sir Roger the father wrote a will in 1478 which mentions both sons Roger, described as younger and elder. All sons mentioned are: Richard, Roger the elder, Roger the younger, Edward, George, Thomas, Reynold and William.
> >
> > Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere had a will dated 1509 which mentions his father Sir Roger Lewknor, his brother William, sons Roger & Edmund and 4 daughters.
> >
> > Now my question, in all online trees, the younger Roger son is described as of Tangmere with a death in 1509 corresponding to the above will. Why would he describe himself as Roger the elder in his will?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your thoughts
> >
> > Gillian
> Possibly because his own son Roger would now be considered "Roger the younger." But there could be a mix-up between the brothers in those online trees.

I think in this period you could have two sons with the same name, so that option needs to be ruled out as well?

Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<10fe1186-9a03-4828-bd88-b7b06ebefe68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5482&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5482

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:35 UTC

On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 3:04:14 PM UTC-4, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 7:48:10 PM UTC+2, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 1:20:38 PM UTC-4, gillianm...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > According to Sussex Archaeological Collections vol III, Sir Roger Lewknor and Eleanor Camoys (first wife) had a son Roger the elder. Sir Roger also had a second son Roger the younger described as Sir Roger of West Dean. Looking at many trees on line, Roger the younger was the son of Sir Roger and Mary West.
> > >
> > > Sir Roger the father wrote a will in 1478 which mentions both sons Roger, described as younger and elder. All sons mentioned are: Richard, Roger the elder, Roger the younger, Edward, George, Thomas, Reynold and William.
> > >
> > > Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere had a will dated 1509 which mentions his father Sir Roger Lewknor, his brother William, sons Roger & Edmund and 4 daughters.
> > >
> > > Now my question, in all online trees, the younger Roger son is described as of Tangmere with a death in 1509 corresponding to the above will. Why would he describe himself as Roger the elder in his will?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your thoughts
> > >
> > > Gillian
> > Possibly because his own son Roger would now be considered "Roger the younger." But there could be a mix-up between the brothers in those online trees.
> I think in this period you could have two sons with the same name, so that option needs to be ruled out as well?

She's clearly stating that there were two sons both named Roger. But wondering why, when "Roger the younger" died, he called himself "Roger the elder" in his will.

It's due to the passage of time and new additions to the family: if the brother "Roger the Elder" has died, then brother "Roger the Younger" may call himself "Roger the Elder" if he himself now has a son called Roger.

Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<569fe897-d614-4873-ba87-4feda3b6184dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5483&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5483

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 23:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: gillianm...@gmail.com (Gillian Mckenna)
 by: Gillian Mckenna - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 06:22 UTC

On Thursday, 11 August 2022 at 21:35:52 UTC+2, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 3:04:14 PM UTC-4, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Possibly because his own son Roger would now be considered "Roger the younger." But there could be a mix-up between the brothers in those online trees.
> > I think in this period you could have two sons with the same name, so that option needs to be ruled out as well?
> She's clearly stating that there were two sons both named Roger. But wondering why, when "Roger the younger" died, he called himself "Roger the elder" in his will.
>
> It's due to the passage of time and new additions to the family: if the brother "Roger the Elder" has died, then brother "Roger the Younger" may call himself "Roger the Elder" if he himself now has a son called Roger.

Hi
Yes there are definitely two sons called Roger. The father's (Sir Roger Lewknor)will refers to both the younger and elder.

Sir Roger Lewknor's eldest son Sir Thomas Lewknor had a son Sir Roger Lewknor. Maybe the Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere will dated 1509 was to distinguish himself from his cousin Sir Roger?

Re: Two sons called Roger of Sir Roger Lewknor d1478 - Question

<9d047a5b-df01-4ce4-a25c-c70486e9c8dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5484&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#5484

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 23:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: gillianm...@gmail.com (Gillian Mckenna)
 by: Gillian Mckenna - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 06:31 UTC

On Friday, 12 August 2022 at 08:22:37 UTC+2, Gillian Mckenna wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 August 2022 at 21:35:52 UTC+2, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > I think in this period you could have two sons with the same name, so that option needs to be ruled out as well?
> > She's clearly stating that there were two sons both named Roger. But wondering why, when "Roger the younger" died, he called himself "Roger the elder" in his will.
> >
> > It's due to the passage of time and new additions to the family: if the brother "Roger the Elder" has died, then brother "Roger the Younger" may call himself "Roger the Elder" if he himself now has a son called Roger.
> Hi
> Yes there are definitely two sons called Roger. The father's (Sir Roger Lewknor)will refers to both the younger and elder.
>
> Sir Roger Lewknor's eldest son Sir Thomas Lewknor had a son Sir Roger Lewknor. Maybe the Roger Lewknor the elder of Tangmere will dated 1509 was to distinguish himself from his cousin Sir Roger?

Correction nephew not cousin.