From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: 1998 wines at Balvanera (Rhone, Bdx, Burg, Lebanon)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:27:54 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:27 UTC

On 10/5/23 3:47 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> 1998 # 1 -clearly Burgundy, but I was guessing Volnay. Sweet fruit, lighter body, surprised when heard it’s Gevrey and especially CSJ. Gary says he gets from his wife so I guessed producer, but didn’t really have the big oak signature I’d expect from DL. 1998 Dominique Laurent Clos St Jacques Gevrey Chambertin 1er. B/B+

I'd heard that he'd dialed back the "200% oak" treatment, but I have no
idea when that shift was supposed to have occurred or to what extent.
I'm always a bit distrustful of people who tell me that "the oak doesn't
show" as I'm pretty quercophobic (though as you know I do love Dujac).

> Next 2 were tasted together and we got to CdP fast, but struggled on producers.
> 1998 # 3 -some brett, but within my tolerance, bright with pretty cherry fruit, on lighter weight side of CdP, nice.
> 1998 Pegau Reservees Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+
>
> 1998 # 4 roasted and ponderous, light cheesy note, not a fan. Very disappointed when revealed.
> 1998 Ch. Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape C+

I had that Pegau on release and have gone through my stash of 3 bottles.
It started out life big, thick and tannic, almost like drinking black
coffee. The bottles I've opened have ranged from pristine to Brett
bombs. Shame about that Beaucastel. My bottles have been superb.

Sounds like a fun night. Thanks for posting those notes, Dale!

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: 1998 wines at Balvanera (Rhone, Bdx, Burg, Lebanon)

<ff6ccc9b-98f4-44af-89c7-50cb526f1476n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=550&group=alt.food.wine#550

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:45 UTC

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 4:27:57 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 10/5/23 3:47 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > 1998 # 1 -clearly Burgundy, but I was guessing Volnay. Sweet fruit, lighter body, surprised when heard it’s Gevrey and especially CSJ. Gary says he gets from his wife so I guessed producer, but didn’t really have the big oak signature I’d expect from DL. 1998 Dominique Laurent Clos St Jacques Gevrey Chambertin 1er. B/B+
> I'd heard that he'd dialed back the "200% oak" treatment, but I have no
> idea when that shift was supposed to have occurred or to what extent.
> I'm always a bit distrustful of people who tell me that "the oak doesn't
> show" as I'm pretty quercophobic (though as you know I do love Dujac).

I think this was in the 200% era, but unsure if he did every wine. I didn't get a lot of oak, but I certainly have on some other DL wines

> I had that Pegau on release and have gone through my stash of 3 bottles.
> It started out life big, thick and tannic, almost like drinking black
> coffee. The bottles I've opened have ranged from pristine to Brett
> bombs. Shame about that Beaucastel. My bottles have been superb.

Happy surprise re Pegau, sad surprise re Beaucastel for me. But drank my lone bottle years ago