Most people will listen to your unreasonable demands, if you'll consider their unacceptable offer.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: tomato harvest coming in

SubjectAuthor
* tomato harvest coming insongbird
`* Re: tomato harvest coming inT
 `* Re: tomato harvest coming insongbird
  `* Re: tomato harvest coming inT
   `* Re: tomato harvest coming insongbird
    `* Re: tomato harvest coming inT
     `* Re: tomato harvest coming insongbird
      `- Re: tomato harvest coming inT

1
tomato harvest coming in

<s1spti-0d8.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=545&group=rec.gardens.edible#545

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: tomato harvest coming in
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:06:52 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:06 UTC

went out yesterday morning expecting to pick 6-8 buckets of
tomatoes and ended up picking between 11-13 buckets instead.
which meant for a busy day of tomato canning. i'm happy for
it though as we really enjoy having our own grown and canned
tomatoes.

some of the tomatoes were "brain" shaped. very irregular
surface and a lot of inclusions. i suspect this is from very
hot weather we had during pollination, but i don't know for
sure.

another issue was that there was some animal that had chewed
on many fruits (probably raccoons). i picked everything that
was ripe enough so i can finish up getting things canned for
us. don't know how many more will be damaged. i did hear
noises from the garden late last night. the garden is fenced
but there is no certain way to keep raccoons out with the kind
of fence we currently have and i don't have any funds at the
moment for replacing any of that anyways. an eventual goal
of mine will be to upgrade some fences and to add more but
that won't be happening anytime soon.

songbird

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<tfml1u$26uok$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=550&group=rec.gardens.edible#550

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: tomato harvest coming in
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 23:53:50 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 06:53 UTC

On 8/27/22 09:06, songbird wrote:
> went out yesterday morning expecting to pick 6-8 buckets of
> tomatoes and ended up picking between 11-13 buckets instead.

I might be a bit envious. Maybe. I ain't saying.

Did you ever bet over your tomato allergy?

> which meant for a busy day of tomato canning. i'm happy for
> it though as we really enjoy having our own grown and canned
> tomatoes.
>
> some of the tomatoes were "brain" shaped. very irregular
> surface and a lot of inclusions. i suspect this is from very
> hot weather we had during pollination, but i don't know for
> sure.
>
> another issue was that there was some animal that had chewed
> on many fruits (probably raccoons). i picked everything that
> was ripe enough so i can finish up getting things canned for
> us. don't know how many more will be damaged. i did hear
> noises from the garden late last night. the garden is fenced
> but there is no certain way to keep raccoons out with the kind
> of fence we currently have and i don't have any funds at the
> moment for replacing any of that anyways. an eventual goal
> of mine will be to upgrade some fences and to add more but
> that won't be happening anytime soon.
>

> songbird

An electric fence perpahs?

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<3d44vi-oja.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=551&group=rec.gardens.edible#551

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:46:59 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:46 UTC

T wrote:
> On 8/27/22 09:06, songbird wrote:
>> went out yesterday morning expecting to pick 6-8 buckets of
>> tomatoes and ended up picking between 11-13 buckets instead.
>
> I might be a bit envious. Maybe. I ain't saying.
>
> Did you ever bet over your tomato allergy?

yes, i found out it was something else that we commonly
added to tomato dishes. since then i've moderated my
intake of that spice and things are ok. plain tomatoes
don't bother me at all.

> An electric fence perpahs?

a decent fence would probably help instead of the one we
have but i'm out of time and money this season so i won't
be doing anything for a while.

as of the other day i've picked about 50 lbs per plant
which is above our normal high of the range amount of 40
lbs. i'm all done canning for the season. we still have
some tomatoes out there on the plants that we can pick and
eat when needed, but otherwise i'm happy with leaving
things be.

busy picking dry beans instead and trying to finish up
some projects before winter.

songbird

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<tfoh03$2cihq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=552&group=rec.gardens.edible#552

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:56:51 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 23:56 UTC

On 9/12/22 09:46, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> On 8/27/22 09:06, songbird wrote:
>>> went out yesterday morning expecting to pick 6-8 buckets of
>>> tomatoes and ended up picking between 11-13 buckets instead.
>>
>> I might be a bit envious. Maybe. I ain't saying.
>>
>> Did you ever bet over your tomato allergy?
>
> yes, i found out it was something else that we commonly
> added to tomato dishes. since then i've moderated my
> intake of that spice and things are ok. plain tomatoes
> don't bother me at all.

>> An electric fence perpahs?
>
> a decent fence would probably help instead of the one we
> have but i'm out of time and money this season so i won't
> be doing anything for a while.
>
> as of the other day i've picked about 50 lbs per plant
> which is above our normal high of the range amount of 40
> lbs. i'm all done canning for the season. we still have
> some tomatoes out there on the plants that we can pick and
> eat when needed, but otherwise i'm happy with leaving
> things be.
>
> busy picking dry beans instead and trying to finish up
> some projects before winter.
>

> songbird

YIPPEE !!!!!!!!!!

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<kir6vi-ao7.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=553&group=rec.gardens.edible#553

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:34:44 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:34 UTC

T wrote:
> YIPPEE !!!!!!!!!!

yep. also tired this past week enough that i've enjoyed
some days of resting up and not doing too much of anything.
when the forecast for some rainy days came along i was quite
happy to say ok, bring it on, as i'd finished whatever bean
picking i needed to get done.

i can go out there now and do some weeding but i think
i'll just enjoy today as it is and shell some more beans
later. i'm caught up on all the odd stuff so now i just
have these large bags of Purple Dove beans to go through
and get shelled out. i can do them any time through this
winter, but to have them done now means i have less space
taken up in here for later harvesting.

it's a production line and i enjoy it all so that is why
i keep on doing it each year. always interesting to see
what nature can get up to. :)

songbird

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<tfr7a4$2n1f9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=554&group=rec.gardens.edible#554

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:29:56 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:29 UTC

On 9/13/22 10:34, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> YIPPEE !!!!!!!!!!
>
> yep. also tired this past week enough that i've enjoyed
> some days of resting up and not doing too much of anything.
> when the forecast for some rainy days came along i was quite
> happy to say ok, bring it on, as i'd finished whatever bean
> picking i needed to get done.
>
> i can go out there now and do some weeding but i think
> i'll just enjoy today as it is and shell some more beans
> later. i'm caught up on all the odd stuff so now i just
> have these large bags of Purple Dove beans to go through
> and get shelled out. i can do them any time through this
> winter, but to have them done now means i have less space
> taken up in here for later harvesting.
>
> it's a production line and i enjoy it all so that is why
> i keep on doing it each year. always interesting to see
> what nature can get up to. :)
>

> songbird

Have any of those gorgeous bean pictures to post of
this years pickin's?

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<bma8vi-62p.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=555&group=rec.gardens.edible#555

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 02:58:51 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 06:58 UTC

T wrote:
> Have any of those gorgeous bean pictures to post of
> this years pickin's?

i don't always remember to link pictures to this usenet
group but you can watch the anthive.com/projects/beans page:

https://www.anthive.com/project/beans/#chapter-3

i seem to be just putting them in at the end of chapter-2
so going to the above link and going up should get you at
the more recent pictures without having to scroll down. i've
no idea if an RSS feed would work for this or not (i've never
tried using it or setting it up myself so it is whatever the
static website generator produces)...

in most recent findings the latest bean pictures posted
were the pink and gray ones which are ending up to dry down
looking more like a watermelon seed than a bean, but i now
have 25 seeds to work with and know the likely parents so
that is good and fun, with the seeds refreshed i can now
put them on my future plans tor growing out again sometime
in the next few years. there's always more projects than
i have space and time for growing. i also found another
almost all pink bean that i'm wondering how it will work
out since it does have some tan markings on it and i wonder
if it will age towards tan like many other pink beans - if
it does i probably won't work much with it.

songbird

Re: tomato harvest coming in

<tfrvs4$2rmbr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=556&group=rec.gardens.edible#556

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:29:06 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:29 UTC

On 9/13/22 23:58, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Have any of those gorgeous bean pictures to post of
>> this years pickin's?
>
> i don't always remember to link pictures to this usenet
> group but you can watch the anthive.com/projects/beans page:
>
> https://www.anthive.com/project/beans/#chapter-3
>
> i seem to be just putting them in at the end of chapter-2
> so going to the above link and going up should get you at
> the more recent pictures without having to scroll down. i've
> no idea if an RSS feed would work for this or not (i've never
> tried using it or setting it up myself so it is whatever the
> static website generator produces)...
>
> in most recent findings the latest bean pictures posted
> were the pink and gray ones which are ending up to dry down
> looking more like a watermelon seed than a bean, but i now
> have 25 seeds to work with and know the likely parents so
> that is good and fun, with the seeds refreshed i can now
> put them on my future plans tor growing out again sometime
> in the next few years. there's always more projects than
> i have space and time for growing. i also found another
> almost all pink bean that i'm wondering how it will work
> out since it does have some tan markings on it and i wonder
> if it will age towards tan like many other pink beans - if
> it does i probably won't work much with it.
>

> songbird

Gorgeous!

Since I can not longer eat them (too many carbs)
I will have to live vicariously though you!

:-)