Delta: We never make the same mistake three times. -- David Letterman

interests / alt.food.wine / 2008 Gouges

SubjectAuthor
* 2008 GougesGraham
`* Re: 2008 GougesMark Lipton
 `* Re: 2008 Gougesdalewilli...@gmail.com
  `* Re: 2008 GougesGraham
   `- Re: 2008 GougesMark Lipton

1
2008 Gouges

<94zXM.76814$8fO.7128@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=555&group=alt.food.wine#555

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Subject: 2008 Gouges
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:59:49 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:59 UTC

I opened the 2008 Gouges "Les Chaignots" to serve with pork tenderloin
(NYT recipe).
Far from being the usual big wines that Gouges produces, this was
surprisingly light and delicate. Faint cherry and raspberry on the
nose as well as the palate. A bit of a disappointment but B/B+ on the
DaleScale.

Re: 2008 Gouges

<ugp065$3o5ct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=557&group=alt.food.wine#557

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: 2008 Gouges
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:12:52 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:12 UTC

On 10/17/23 12:59 PM, Graham wrote:
> I opened the 2008 Gouges "Les Chaignots" to serve with pork tenderloin
> (NYT recipe).
> Far from being the usual big wines that Gouges produces, this was
> surprisingly light and delicate. Faint cherry and raspberry on the
> nose as well as the palate. A bit of a disappointment but B/B+ on the
> DaleScale.

As you may know, '08 was a really difficult vintage in the Cote d'Or.
Lots of mold and mildew and producers had to be very vigilant to produce
a good wine. I've had really mixed results with the wines from that
vintage. It sounds as if Gouges picked before the rains, producing a
lighter body but clean wine.

Mark Lipton

Re: 2008 Gouges

<54ca4adf-39a9-42ff-991a-f3730e4addfdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=558&group=alt.food.wine#558

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:19 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:12:56 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 10/17/23 12:59 PM, Graham wrote:
> > I opened the 2008 Gouges "Les Chaignots" to serve with pork tenderloin
> > (NYT recipe).
> > Far from being the usual big wines that Gouges produces, this was
> > surprisingly light and delicate. Faint cherry and raspberry on the
> > nose as well as the palate. A bit of a disappointment but B/B+ on the
> > DaleScale.
> As you may know, '08 was a really difficult vintage in the Cote d'Or.
> Lots of mold and mildew and producers had to be very vigilant to produce
> a good wine. I've had really mixed results with the wines from that
> vintage. It sounds as if Gouges picked before the rains, producing a
> lighter body but clean wine.
>
> Mark Lipton
Good points. I'll also note the new (4th?) generation took over in 2007, and wines are generally a bit less structured than in past (though certainly still more structured than most)

Re: 2008 Gouges

<ukYXM.59690$HwD9.24519@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=560&group=alt.food.wine#560

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:43:54 -0600
 by: Graham - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:43 UTC

On 2023-10-18 2:19 p.m., dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:12:56 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 10/17/23 12:59 PM, Graham wrote:
>>> I opened the 2008 Gouges "Les Chaignots" to serve with pork tenderloin
>>> (NYT recipe).
>>> Far from being the usual big wines that Gouges produces, this was
>>> surprisingly light and delicate. Faint cherry and raspberry on the
>>> nose as well as the palate. A bit of a disappointment but B/B+ on the
>>> DaleScale.
>> As you may know, '08 was a really difficult vintage in the Cote d'Or.
>> Lots of mold and mildew and producers had to be very vigilant to produce
>> a good wine. I've had really mixed results with the wines from that
>> vintage. It sounds as if Gouges picked before the rains, producing a
>> lighter body but clean wine.
>>
>> Mark Lipton
> Good points. I'll also note the new (4th?) generation took over in 2007, and wines are generally a bit less structured than in past (though certainly still more structured than most)

Mark & Dale
Many thanks for your thoughts. I have very little Burgundy left, just
2011 and 2012 Gouges (Vaucrains) and a 2014 Mugnier (Marechale). Over
the years I have concentrated on Bordeaux and am gradually reducing
my holdings of those. At my age, it is pointless buying wines to lay
down and I think Dale would consider my drinking some of my older
clarets as infanticide:-)

Re: 2008 Gouges

<ugrkhg$ed89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=562&group=alt.food.wine#562

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:12:32 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:12 UTC

On 10/18/23 5:43 PM, Graham wrote:

> Mark & Dale
> Many thanks for your thoughts. I have very little Burgundy left, just
> 2011 and 2012 Gouges (Vaucrains) and a 2014 Mugnier (Marechale). Over
> the years I have concentrated on Bordeaux and am gradually reducing
> my holdings of those. At my age, it is pointless buying wines to lay
> down and I think Dale would consider my drinking some of my older
> clarets as infanticide:-)

Graham,
I certainly sympathize. At age 64, I am buying very few vins de
garde these days as I have a cellar full of wines that will need 15-20
more years to reach maturity and, as much as I love my son, I don't
intend to leave a full cellar as part of my estate ;-)

My trends are a mirror-image of your own. Our supply of Bordeaux has
dwindled to next to nothing. We just don't drink many these days, and
the stylistic and climatic shift in the region as well as skyrocketing
prices have also led to a diminution of our claret purchases.
Meanwhile, our supply of Pinot Noir from Burgundy and other regions has
continued to grow. We now have Pinot Noirs from there, the Jura,
Germany, Oregon and New Zealand. Pinot Noir, Gamay and the lighter
expressions of Nebbiolo now fit our food preferences better (not to
mention white wines and rosés).

As they say, horses for courses ;-)

Mark Lipton