Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Matthew Howard of MD Ancestry
From: mcjilton...@gmail.com (M. B. McJilton)
 by: M. B. McJilton - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:13 UTC

On Monday, August 5, 2002 at 1:28:08 PM UTC-4, Rick Toothman wrote:
> "Shawn Potter" <shp...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Rick Toothman" <r.too...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > "Rick Toothman" <r.too...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > H W Newman, in AA Gentry 2:301 (2nd edition), citing the land records
> > > (Provincial Court Deeds, TP5:467, TP6:17), shows that "Kilkenny" was
> > > patented 2 Sept 1713, for 100 acres, to Richard Fowler. Fowler, cooper
> of
> > > Balto Co, with his wife Priscilla, assigned the tract to Joseph Howard,
> 24
> > > April 1713 for £22, and on 14 March 1724 John Worthington, merchant,
> sold
> > > the tract to Howard for the same sum. (My supposition is that
> Worthington
> > > was the mortgage-holder.)
> > >

> > Helpful discovery, Rick! Since John Worthington was the son-in-law of
> > Mathew Howard Jr., is it possible that John Worthington and his wife,
> > Sarah Howard, inherited "Kilkenny" from her father? Mathew Howard Jr.
> > wrote his will October 3, 1691, naming Sarah and John Worthington his
> > executors, and giving Sarah 276 acres called "Howard's Range," 200
> > acres called "Howard's Pasture," and 130 acres (unnamed) his dwelling
> > plantation. I wonder if "Kilkenny" was created from another property
> > that descended from the Howard family--i.e., from one of the tracts
> > mentioned in Mathew Howard's will or from a tract given to Sarah at
> > her marriage. [Mathew Howard Jr. owned a sizeable estate--over 1,770
> > acres mentioned in his will.] Perhaps a review of the actual patent
> > at the Maryland State Archives will provide the answer. The naming of
> > the tract "Kilkenny" certainly may be coincidental to Cornelius
> > Lloyd's connections to County Kilkenny. But, I think we need more
> > information to be sure.
> >
> > Shawn Potter
> Newman says that the tract was patented to Fowler in 1713 (the assignment
> date of 1713 should be 1723; my typo; assigned by Fowler to Howard 4/1723,
> sold by Worthington to Howard 3/1723-4). The patent should show if it was a
> resurvey or compilation of previously patented lands. Resurveys and
> enlargements usually but not always have a differed name from the original
> tract; you would expect this to be "Kilkenny Enlarg'd" or "Resurvey on
> Kilkenny", but this seems to be more consistently done later than in the
> 17th or very early 18th century.
> The context in AAG sounds to me as if Fowler has mortgaged the land to
> Worthington before selling it to Howard and that Worthington, as
> lien-holder, then conveys, once the indebtedness of Fowler (£22 is the sum
> named in both deeds) has been paid.
> The Provincial Court deedbooks that Newman lists as TP 5/6 in his references
> are given as PL 5/6 on the MD Archives website. TP 4 is the book immediately
> preceding PL 5, sequentially. I don't know whose initials these are but you
> would think 4, 5, and 6 would all have the same title if numbered in
> [...]

Hello my name is Matthew McJilton, I descend from Matthew Howard through John Moale and Ellin North. I just wanted to post that my cousin Dr. Dan Howard of Baltimore has informed me that his grandmother took a DNA test and it confirmed we are related to the Arundell family. It's all true. I hope this helps people in the future. Thank you.