Don't panic.

interests / alt.language.latin / a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

SubjectAuthor
* a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Baconhenh...@gmail.com
`* Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis BaconBtraven
 `* Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis BaconEd Cryer
  `* Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis BaconBtraven
   `- Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Baconhenh...@gmail.com

1
a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

<d91c9386-6d48-42cc-8846-5bc99a11f648n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=566&group=alt.language.latin#566

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:44 UTC

give me a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

https://bard.google.com/
Sure, here is a haiku and a limerick using the food bacon and Francis Bacon:

Haiku

Bacon, crisp and salty,
A taste of Sir Francis,
A culinary delight.

Limerick

There once was a lad named Bacon,
Whose thoughts were quite often quite flaccid.
But when he ate meat,
His mind would be fleet,
And he'd write essays quite packed.

__________________________________
a Limerick should have the rhymes in AABBA

You're right, the previous limerick does not follow the AABBA rhyme scheme. Here is a limerick about Francis Bacon and bacon that does:

There once was a philosopher named Bacon,
Who thought so much, his brain turned to bacon.
He said, "This is great!"
But then he felt faint
And passed out with a bacony face on.

----------------------- this last one is pretty good.
----------- so good that it's spooky

Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

<95f2ebb9-50e2-423e-93a2-0253774a3f4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=567&group=alt.language.latin#567

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 14:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:50 UTC

On Sunday, July 2, 2023 at 11:44:04 AM UTC-5, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> give me a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon
>

> https://bard.google.com/
> Sure, here is a haiku and a limerick using the food bacon and Francis Bacon:
>
> Haiku
>
> Bacon, crisp and salty,
> A taste of Sir Francis,
> A culinary delight.
>
> Limerick
>
> There once was a lad named Bacon,
> Whose thoughts were quite often quite flaccid.
> But when he ate meat,
> His mind would be fleet,
> And he'd write essays quite packed.
>

> __________________________________
> a Limerick should have the rhymes in AABBA
>
> You're right, the previous limerick does not follow the AABBA rhyme scheme. Here is a limerick about Francis Bacon and bacon that does:
>

> There once was a philosopher named Bacon,
> Who thought so much, his brain turned to bacon.
> He said, "This is great!"
> But then he felt faint
> And passed out with a bacony face on.
>

> ----------------------- this last one is pretty good.
> ----------- so good that it's spooky

There once was a thinker named Bacon,
Who thought so much his brain started achin'.
He said, "This is great!"
But then he felt faint
And dropt dead but they thought he was fakin'.

Here is one for Chatgpt to translate into Latin:
'Beware of vampire utility billing in the service of fast-track gentrification.'
My guess is that the program will show no evidence whatsoever of understanding the English unless a natural person who knows Latin is holding its hand in real time. Of course not all native English speakers will understand it either even though it is reasonably expressive of some unsavory aspects of megalopolitan life.

b.t. raven

Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

<u7ua2m$3mcq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=568&group=alt.language.latin#568

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:05:03 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

Btraven wrote:
> On Sunday, July 2, 2023 at 11:44:04 AM UTC-5, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>> give me a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon
>>

>> https://bard.google.com/
>> Sure, here is a haiku and a limerick using the food bacon and Francis Bacon:
>>
>> Haiku
>>
>> Bacon, crisp and salty,
>> A taste of Sir Francis,
>> A culinary delight.
>>
>> Limerick
>>
>> There once was a lad named Bacon,
>> Whose thoughts were quite often quite flaccid.
>> But when he ate meat,
>> His mind would be fleet,
>> And he'd write essays quite packed.
>>

>> __________________________________
>> a Limerick should have the rhymes in AABBA
>>
>> You're right, the previous limerick does not follow the AABBA rhyme scheme. Here is a limerick about Francis Bacon and bacon that does:
>>

>> There once was a philosopher named Bacon,
>> Who thought so much, his brain turned to bacon.
>> He said, "This is great!"
>> But then he felt faint
>> And passed out with a bacony face on.
>>

>> ----------------------- this last one is pretty good.
>> ----------- so good that it's spooky
>
> There once was a thinker named Bacon,
> Who thought so much his brain started achin'.
> He said, "This is great!"
> But then he felt faint
> And dropt dead but they thought he was fakin'.
>
> Here is one for Chatgpt to translate into Latin:
> 'Beware of vampire utility billing in the service of fast-track gentrification.'
> My guess is that the program will show no evidence whatsoever of understanding the English unless a natural person who knows Latin is holding its hand in real time. Of course not all native English speakers will understand it either even though it is reasonably expressive of some unsavory aspects of megalopolitan life.
>
> b.t. raven
Sir Francis was constantly achin'
To come up with new thoughts and stop fakin'.
Aristotle and Seneca
Both had a good moniker
Though not quite as tasty as Bacon.
When a man hath no thoughts of his own to impart
Let him look to the ancient wise sages.
They had plenty of knowledge and talent and heart
But they wrote them in different languages.

Please translate into Latin. Beware of vampire utility billing in the
service of fast-track gentrification
ChatGPT
Cave de facturis utilitatum vampirorum in servitio celeris urbium
aedificandarum
Now, that's not too bad; far better than Google.
Maybe one small blunder; urbium celeriter aedificandarum
Ed

Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

<f5c1a189-6a7d-48df-af8b-309bde3b91f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=571&group=alt.language.latin#571

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:11 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 6:07:22 AM UTC-5, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Btraven wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 2, 2023 at 11:44:04 AM UTC-5, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> give me a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon
> >>

> >> https://bard.google.com/
> >> Sure, here is a haiku and a limerick using the food bacon and Francis Bacon:
> >>
> >> Haiku
> >>
> >> Bacon, crisp and salty,
> >> A taste of Sir Francis,
> >> A culinary delight.
> >>
> >> Limerick
> >>
> >> There once was a lad named Bacon,
> >> Whose thoughts were quite often quite flaccid.
> >> But when he ate meat,
> >> His mind would be fleet,
> >> And he'd write essays quite packed.
> >>

> >> __________________________________
> >> a Limerick should have the rhymes in AABBA
> >>
> >> You're right, the previous limerick does not follow the AABBA rhyme scheme. Here is a limerick about Francis Bacon and bacon that does:
> >>

> >> There once was a philosopher named Bacon,
> >> Who thought so much, his brain turned to bacon.
> >> He said, "This is great!"
> >> But then he felt faint
> >> And passed out with a bacony face on.
> >>

> >> ----------------------- this last one is pretty good.
> >> ----------- so good that it's spooky
> >
> > There once was a thinker named Bacon,
> > Who thought so much his brain started achin'.
> > He said, "This is great!"
> > But then he felt faint
> > And dropt dead but they thought he was fakin'.
> >
> > Here is one for Chatgpt to translate into Latin:
> > 'Beware of vampire utility billing in the service of fast-track gentrification.'
> > My guess is that the program will show no evidence whatsoever of understanding the English unless a natural person who knows Latin is holding its hand in real time. Of course not all native English speakers will understand it either even though it is reasonably expressive of some unsavory aspects of megalopolitan life.
> >
> > b.t. raven
> Sir Francis was constantly achin'
> To come up with new thoughts and stop fakin'.
> Aristotle and Seneca
> Both had a good moniker
> Though not quite as tasty as Bacon.
>
> When a man hath no thoughts of his own to impart
> Let him look to the ancient wise sages.
> They had plenty of knowledge and talent and heart
> But they wrote them in different languages.
>

> Please translate into Latin. Beware of vampire utility billing in the
> service of fast-track gentrification
> ChatGPT
> Cave de facturis utilitatum vampirorum in servitio celeris urbium
> aedificandarum
>
> Now, that's not too bad; far better than Google.
> Maybe one small blunder; urbium celeriter aedificandarum
>
> Ed

Q.e.d. Factura is bill in Spanish but not latin. Vampire is an adjective in my Sinified English. I don't really think the sentiment is translatable into Latin but this is somewhat closer:

Cave a sanguisugis qui rationes inflatas mittunt pro usu energeiae ut pauperes fugare et vicos dilapidatos citius renovare possint ad usum nobilium viliorum* et eorum asseclarum.

*wannabe nobleman, somewhat declasse

To my "mind," the Turing test is hopelessly subjective and useless for evaluating machine psychology.

See again the sad story of Weizenbaum's secretary (mercifully anonymous):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

and also the public source code of the dozen programs that work like Chatgpt.

https://www.listendata.com/2023/03/open-source-chatgpt-models-step-by-step.html

but of course the intelligence isn't in the 2000 lines of python but in the 200 trillion lines of plagiarized text.

b.t. raven

Re: a Haiku and a Limerick using the food Bacon and Francis Bacon

<b12530a7-c5d8-408b-a0e9-95fc9460babcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=576&group=alt.language.latin#576

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:41:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:41 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:11:14 AM UTC-7, Btraven wrote:
> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 6:07:22 AM UTC-5, Ed Cryer wrote:
> > Btraven wrote:

> > > There once was a thinker named Bacon,
> > > Who thought so much his brain started achin'.
> > > He said, "This is great!"
> > > But then he felt faint
> > > And dropt dead but they thought he was fakin'.
> > >
> > > Here is one for Chatgpt to translate into Latin:
> > > 'Beware of vampire utility billing in the service of fast-track gentrification.'
> > > My guess is that the program will show no evidence whatsoever of understanding the English unless a natural person who knows Latin is holding its hand in real time. Of course not all native English speakers will understand it either even though it is reasonably expressive of some unsavory aspects of megalopolitan life.
> > >
> > > b.t. raven

> > Sir Francis was constantly achin'
> > To come up with new thoughts and stop fakin'.
> > Aristotle and Seneca
> > Both had a good moniker
> > Though not quite as tasty as Bacon.

maybe in 10 years, ChatBots will be producing much better Limericks.

> See again the sad story of Weizenbaum's secretary (mercifully anonymous):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Weizenbaum's own secretary reportedly asked Weizenbaum to leave the room so that she and ELIZA could have a real conversation. Weizenbaum was surprised by this, later writing: "I had not realized ... that extremely short exposures to a relatively simple computer program could induce powerful delusional thinking in quite normal people."[21]