Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Incredible night of '93 Burgundy
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 19:34 UTC

Some fans of 1993 Burgundy met at Balvanera last night. Very generous group, digging out some real superstars. We had yellowtail crudo, bacalau croquettas, salad, carrots, skirt steaks, blood sausage, chicken, fries, and more..

1988 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Deep color, some distinct caramel notes, when first tasted I thought interesting but past it. Yet air actually revised it, and it got better through night. There was always a caramel note, but was matched by spice, nut, and brioche aromas. B+

1995 Charles Heidsieck “Blanc des Millenaires”
Young, a tad reduced at first, but opens nicely. Chalk, apples, and pastry dough, long and refined. A-

1993 Lucien Boillot Cherbaudes Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
The only wine I’d call truly ready- in the zone but in no danger of fading, Black cherry, deep Gevrey earth notes, a little coffee. B+

1993 d’Angerville Volnay Clos de Ducs
Even younger than a bottle I took to another ‘93 tasting earlier this year. Firm tannins, firm acids, deep black cherry fruit, smoky. Tasty but will need time to truly unfurl. A-/B+

1993 Michel Gaunoux Corton-Renardes
Another young wine,elegant for Corton, red fruited, earth and smoked meat. B+

1993 . Dujac Charmes-Chambertin
Silky and supple.. Red fruits and spice, mustard seed, forest floor, sandalwood. Very long. A-

1993 . Drouhin Musigny
Lovely, still a touch of tannin, bright acids, black raspberry with blood orange and coffee. Remarkable length. A-/A

1993 Drouhin Romanee St. Vivant Comes across as a bit riper than other wines, very ripe red plum fruit, some chocolate, and a little hint of barnyard.. Yet another wine that improves with air time. B+/A-

1993 Rousseau Chambertin
I was sure the Musigny was my WOTN, till I got to this. God wine, complex and deep. Fruit, flowers, spice and earthy mushroom/meat aromas. Long long long. Incredibly high expectations, surpassed. A

1993 Rousseau Chambertin clos de Beze
This was a really nice wine, but a little sharp and muddled compared to the Chambertin.Still, a firm and delicious wine with solid fruit, an interesting overlay of licorice and B+

Really incredible night. I was already a big ‘93 Burg fan, now I’m a bigger one. Nice group, and obviously very generous- the prices a few of these fetch are breathtaking (all of these were bought before huge escalation). One of the highlight wine dinners of my life.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.