You have the power to influence all with whom you come in contact.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?Damon Knutson
+- Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?krw
`* Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?Clare Snyder
 `* Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?Leon
  `- Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?krw

1
Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

<13b29507-b3c0-436e-b64e-d574104c0154n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5751&group=rec.woodworking#5751

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?
From: damon4ea...@gmail.com (Damon Knutson)
 by: Damon Knutson - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 21:48 UTC

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 6:21:25 PM UTC-8, Kevin wrote:
> Hi all,
> Would it be safe to run a FEIN vac (the small one 920watts) off a
> dimmer switch so I can further quiet it down when I'm working in
> stealth mode (3 month old and 3 year old sleeping upstairs). I will
> be building a vac box in the future, but the dimmer would be a $3
> quick solution for now.
> I don't want to screw up the motor via trial and error, so am asking
> anyone's thoughts before I do this. Thanks.
> -Kevin
> I have a MIELE housevac and sure wish they made a shop vac.

I can tell you that I plugged a vaccuum into a switched outlet one time. I had no idea that the outlet was controlled by that dimmer switch. After a few minutes, either the cord or the switch caught fire (I don't recall which as it was a while ago). Dimmer was prolly set to low.

Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

<65ectgt5qq9mta6u70jfrhiqrtpb0gqe3k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5757&group=rec.woodworking#5757

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 19:35:33 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 00:35 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800 (PST), Damon Knutson
<damon4earth@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 6:21:25 PM UTC-8, Kevin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Would it be safe to run a FEIN vac (the small one 920watts) off a
>> dimmer switch so I can further quiet it down when I'm working in
>> stealth mode (3 month old and 3 year old sleeping upstairs). I will
>> be building a vac box in the future, but the dimmer would be a $3
>> quick solution for now.
>> I don't want to screw up the motor via trial and error, so am asking
>> anyone's thoughts before I do this. Thanks.
>> -Kevin
>> I have a MIELE housevac and sure wish they made a shop vac.
>
>I can tell you that I plugged a vaccuum into a switched outlet one time. I had no idea that the outlet was controlled by that dimmer switch. After a few minutes, either the cord or the switch caught fire (I don't recall which as it was a while ago). Dimmer was prolly set to low.

Don't worry, the kids are sixteen and nineteen. Waking them up is the
first step in getting them out of the house. Put them to work making
the noise.

Even better. Go away!

Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

<mcaftghpvj4t7illdfpa5d484attq4gf2n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5795&group=rec.woodworking#5795

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 21:47:40 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 02:47 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800 (PST), Damon Knutson
<damon4earth@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 6:21:25 PM UTC-8, Kevin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Would it be safe to run a FEIN vac (the small one 920watts) off a
>> dimmer switch so I can further quiet it down when I'm working in
>> stealth mode (3 month old and 3 year old sleeping upstairs). I will
>> be building a vac box in the future, but the dimmer would be a $3
>> quick solution for now.
>> I don't want to screw up the motor via trial and error, so am asking
>> anyone's thoughts before I do this. Thanks.
>> -Kevin
>> I have a MIELE housevac and sure wish they made a shop vac.
>
>I can tell you that I plugged a vaccuum into a switched outlet one time. I had no idea that the outlet was controlled by that dimmer switch. After a few minutes, either the cord or the switch caught fire (I don't recall which as it was a while ago). Dimmer was prolly set to low.
Id it is a brushed motor it will run on a dimmer. If it is an
induction motor or anything other than a brushed motor it will not.

Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

<lrOdnQ11NZ8h-kX8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5806&group=rec.woodworking#5806

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 10:18:04 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 16:18 UTC

On 1/6/2022 8:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800 (PST), Damon Knutson
> <damon4earth@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 6:21:25 PM UTC-8, Kevin wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Would it be safe to run a FEIN vac (the small one 920watts) off a
>>> dimmer switch so I can further quiet it down when I'm working in
>>> stealth mode (3 month old and 3 year old sleeping upstairs). I will
>>> be building a vac box in the future, but the dimmer would be a $3
>>> quick solution for now.
>>> I don't want to screw up the motor via trial and error, so am asking
>>> anyone's thoughts before I do this. Thanks.
>>> -Kevin
>>> I have a MIELE housevac and sure wish they made a shop vac.
>>
>> I can tell you that I plugged a vaccuum into a switched outlet one time. I had no idea that the outlet was controlled by that dimmer switch. After a few minutes, either the cord or the switch caught fire (I don't recall which as it was a while ago). Dimmer was prolly set to low.
> Id it is a brushed motor it will run on a dimmer. If it is an
> induction motor or anything other than a brushed motor it will not.

FWIW I have a speed control in line switch on my router table. I used
it for my single speed Bosch.

I how have a variable speed router in that table and I run it through
the same switch.

BUT I have to turn the variable speed controller full on on the inline
switch otherwise the router runs like crap, regardless of the speed
setting on the router.

I suspect that the VS on the router wants to see the correct voltage
coming in to work properly.

Re: Hook vacuum to a dimmer switch?

<4vchtgl9mkipt0pon3i9hd5letdqntd3oh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5824&group=rec.woodworking#5824

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 16:45:58 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:45 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 10:18:04 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

>On 1/6/2022 8:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800 (PST), Damon Knutson
>> <damon4earth@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can tell you that I plugged a vaccuum into a switched outlet one time. I had no idea that the outlet was controlled by that dimmer switch. After a few minutes, either the cord or the switch caught fire (I don't recall which as it was a while ago). Dimmer was prolly set to low.
>> Id it is a brushed motor it will run on a dimmer. If it is an
>> induction motor or anything other than a brushed motor it will not.
>

>FWIW I have a speed control in line switch on my router table. I used
>it for my single speed Bosch.
>
>I how have a variable speed router in that table and I run it through
>the same switch.
>
>BUT I have to turn the variable speed controller full on on the inline
>switch otherwise the router runs like crap, regardless of the speed
>setting on the router.
>
>I suspect that the VS on the router wants to see the correct voltage
>coming in to work properly.

Sorta. You have two voltage controllers in series. The second
doesn't like the waveform of the first. These controllers work by
altering the sine wave by clipping it.