I would like to know What I was fencing in And what I was fencing out. -- Robert Frost

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

SubjectAuthor
* green tomoatoews about to freeezeT
+* Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezesongbird
|`* Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezeT
| `- Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezesongbird
+* Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezeT
|`- Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezeT
`- Re: green tomoatoews about to freeezeWilson

1
green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<tileq2$3m6i5$8@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=579&group=rec.gardens.edible#579

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: green tomoatoews about to freeeze
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:49:53 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 05:49 UTC

Hi All,

My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that
do not seem to want to ripen. And the first freeze
is coming pretty quick.

Is this good advice?

Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA

Many thanks,
-T

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<22842j-noh.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=580&group=rec.gardens.edible#580

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 23:38:10 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 03:38 UTC

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that
> do not seem to want to ripen. And the first freeze
> is coming pretty quick.
>
> Is this good advice?
>
> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA

dunno, can you describe what the video is doing/saying?

going to sleep now. will see it tomorrow if i get a
chance.

basically, for larger tomatoes they are ok to pick once
they've developed and then let them ripen set out on a table.
some people will wrap them in paper bags or newspaper or do
other things but we've had them ripen ok if just left out
as long as they don't rot they'll eventually turn red and
be edible. they will not be exactly the same as a regular
vine ripened tomato but they're better than nothing or
having to go buy them.

since i've not done this with cherry tomatoes i'll have to
let someone else chime in if it worked for them to let them
sit out for however long it took. it might, but i don't
know for sure. :)

we've already had several hard frosts and even seen some
snow.

songbird

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<tinsi0$3vagg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=581&group=rec.gardens.edible#581

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 20:56:48 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 03:56 UTC

On 10/17/22 22:49, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that
> do not seem to want to ripen.  And the first freeze
> is coming pretty quick.
>
> Is this good advice?
>
> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I got around to it too late. Sat and Sun night
are suppose to get down to 27F/
I will see if I can rig a trach bag around them

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<tio1p7$3vl08$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=582&group=rec.gardens.edible#582

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 22:25:59 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 05:25 UTC

On 10/18/22 20:38, songbird wrote:
>> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA
> dunno, can you describe what the video is doing/saying?

If you click on the "show more" under the description,
it will give you video thumbnails whose short one
line description tell the entire procedure. Takes
about 10 seconds to eyeball all of them.

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<br982j-js8.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=583&group=rec.gardens.edible#583

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:33:15 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 16:33 UTC

T wrote:
> On 10/18/22 20:38, songbird wrote:
>>> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA
>> dunno, can you describe what the video is doing/saying?
>
> If you click on the "show more" under the description,
> it will give you video thumbnails whose short one
> line description tell the entire procedure. Takes
> about 10 seconds to eyeball all of them.

i wasn't online enough or going back online anytime
soon enough to do that...

today i finally could look at the video and while
all the information provided was interesting it didn't
address the specific question about cherry tomatoes.

i vaguely recall having somewhat green cherry
tomatoes finish indoors after picking but that was
several years ago and for sure the tomatoes that
had split were not too likely to do that well sitting
someplace to ripen.

his question about flavor and quality of ripened
indoors tomatoes vs. vine ripened is about the same
as mine. that is, i don't think it makes that much
of a difference, especially if you are going to be
using them for cooking with other ingredients. it's
just not that major of a difference.

later season tomatoes are different in and of them-
selves.

songbird

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<98dab6f7-5e05-73b2-3b78-fe83bac90b91@nearyou.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=584&group=rec.gardens.edible#584

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 14:11:41 -0400
 by: Wilson - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 18:11 UTC

On 10/18/2022 1:49 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that
> do not seem to want to ripen.  And the first freeze
> is coming pretty quick.
>
> Is this good advice?
>
> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

This isn't my recipe, but it's very similar. Instead of vinegar pickling,
this one depends only on salt - lactic acid brining. I have screwed the lids
on fairly well and when opened, there is gas in the jar and sometimes the
tomatoes themselves will fizz after being opened. We let them work in the
fridge and will last months in there. You'll either love them or hate them.
We've made them with green cherry tomatoes, but a roma style is our favorite.
When I worked in Newark, NJ back in 1971, there was an Italian deli that
specialized in sandwiches stacked with inches of thin sliced meats. But, in
the dining area, these green pickled tomatoes were in bowls on the table for
customers to enjoy at will.

Ingredients

2 clean mason jars
1 qt filtered or distilled water (chlorine prevents fermentation)
3 tbsp. Morton's kosher salt
4 bay leaves
2 tsp. whole coriander (optional)
4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
2 tsp. dill seeds, or a few sprigs of dill weed
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
green tomatoes, halved or quartered and cored

Instructions

Wash the jars, then mix the salt and water.
Add half of the spices and garlic to each jar.
Add half of the tomatoes to each jar, filling to just below the jar's
neck. Pack them in as tightly as you can!
As described on the Fermentation Basics page, use your preferred method
to keep the tomatoes submerged.
Add brine to both jars, leaving about 1" at the top.
Loosely lid the jars, then follow the general directions on the
Fermentation Basics page.

Re: green tomoatoews about to freeeze

<tj2nsg$15hmj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=585&group=rec.gardens.edible#585

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 23:44:31 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 06:44 UTC

On 10/18/22 20:56, T wrote:
> On 10/17/22 22:49, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that
>> do not seem to want to ripen.  And the first freeze
>> is coming pretty quick.
>>
>> Is this good advice?
>>
>> Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7736v9lOlA
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> I got around to it too late.  Sat and Sun night
> are suppose to get down to 27F/
>
> I will see if I can rig a trach bag around them
It is predicted now to get to 20F and no bag will
protect them from that. So I harvested them all.