Sex is like air. It's only a big deal if you can't get any.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?

SubjectAuthor
* How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?Home Owner
`- Re: How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?songbird

1
How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?

<cd7a9b9b-dabc-42fd-9f3f-12937b1d7c5an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=586&group=rec.gardens.edible#586

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 08:55:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?
From: eastman5...@gmail.com (Home Owner)
 by: Home Owner - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 16:55 UTC

I grew a 24 pound Argonaut squash this season. Because of the failing summer warmth I had to pull it when it was just beginning to turn orange. It's been washed, bleach-wiped, and sitting in a sunny south window since October 26 and is very hard and fully orange. How much longer might this have to age to reach max sweetness? I tried this because we're trying to find a replacement for Delicata and these were pushed as being much sweeter and having better flavor than typical butternut (Waltham?) Will cube, bag, and freeze for soup and don't want to cut it open too early.

Re: How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?

<j4l74j-ut6.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=587&group=rec.gardens.edible#587

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:12:19 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 17:12 UTC

Home Owner wrote:
> I grew a 24 pound Argonaut squash this season. Because of the failing summer warmth I had to pull it when it was just beginning to turn orange. It's been washed, bleach-wiped, and sitting in a sunny south window since October 26 and is very hard and fully orange. How much longer might this have to age to reach max sweetness? I tried this because we're trying to find a replacement for Delicata and these were pushed as being much sweeter and having better flavor than typical butternut (Waltham?) Will cube, bag, and freeze for soup and don't want to cut it open too early.

140 day season squash! wow, i wouldn't even plant something
with that long of a season here - too far north.

in looking around it says it can keep for 8 months or longer
so i'd say you could leave it alone for some time if you want
to. why process it for storage when it will store itself? :)

i have no storage space that works for squash here for long
so by the time winter has set in and it is cold enough outside
to freeze inside the garage i have to bring the squash inside
and then within a few weeks i'll start processing the ones
that won't do well in storage and while i'm at it i often get
the rest of them done too.

songbird