If God had intended Man to Walk, He would have given him Feet.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw

SubjectAuthor
* Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand SawDerbyDad03
+* Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Sawhubops
|`- Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand SawDerbyDad03
`- Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand SawMichael Trew

1
Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw

<c30a5906-905b-40cc-ad69-823b20216853n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5941&group=rec.woodworking#5941

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:48:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:48 UTC

"Power Saws Can't Play The Polka" is the title of an article written about
my grandfather in 1983. Grandpa played the saw, entertaining friends
and family for over 6 decades. Not mentioned in the article is the fact
that Grandpa took several trips to Nashville. On one trip he managed to
get invited up on stage at the Grand Ole Opry to sit in with the band for
few songs. He was not a shy man. ;-)

Here's a copy of the article:

https://i.imgur.com/KPDGbjT.jpg

And the best dressed man in Chicopee, MA

https://i.imgur.com/TuUP3wu.jpg

As noted in the article, Grandpa eventually became a mason and home
builder. This is the house that he built for his family in 1930, fairly early in
his career. They lived in the basement while he was building the house in
the evenings and on weekends. Note the brickwork over the bay window.

https://i.imgur.com/UBG5GGI.jpg

I miss him.

Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw

<v0apug533vfdg97e34t41sovhms2p9s1j2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5942&group=rec.woodworking#5942

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:00:01 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:00 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:48:05 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>"Power Saws Can't Play The Polka" is the title of an article written about
>my grandfather in 1983. Grandpa played the saw, entertaining friends
>and family for over 6 decades. Not mentioned in the article is the fact
>that Grandpa took several trips to Nashville. On one trip he managed to
>get invited up on stage at the Grand Ole Opry to sit in with the band for
>few songs. He was not a shy man. ;-)
>
>Here's a copy of the article:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/KPDGbjT.jpg
>
>And the best dressed man in Chicopee, MA
>
>https://i.imgur.com/TuUP3wu.jpg
>
>As noted in the article, Grandpa eventually became a mason and home
>builder. This is the house that he built for his family in 1930, fairly early in
>his career. They lived in the basement while he was building the house in
>the evenings and on weekends. Note the brickwork over the bay window.
>
>https://i.imgur.com/UBG5GGI.jpg
>
>I miss him.

... a lesser known saw-player : :-)

https://jnpickens.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/4thmarlene.jpg

Marlene Dietrich playing the saw between her knees
for a military audience.

John T.

Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw

<748e75ff-0c29-4579-bb09-4823139977a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5943&group=rec.woodworking#5943

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:10:47 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:10 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:57:59 PM UTC-5, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:48:05 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
> >"Power Saws Can't Play The Polka" is the title of an article written about
> >my grandfather in 1983. Grandpa played the saw, entertaining friends
> >and family for over 6 decades. Not mentioned in the article is the fact
> >that Grandpa took several trips to Nashville. On one trip he managed to
> >get invited up on stage at the Grand Ole Opry to sit in with the band for
> >few songs. He was not a shy man. ;-)
> >
> >Here's a copy of the article:
> >
> >https://i.imgur.com/KPDGbjT.jpg
> >
> >And the best dressed man in Chicopee, MA
> >
> >https://i.imgur.com/TuUP3wu.jpg
> >
> >As noted in the article, Grandpa eventually became a mason and home
> >builder. This is the house that he built for his family in 1930, fairly early in
> >his career. They lived in the basement while he was building the house in
> >the evenings and on weekends. Note the brickwork over the bay window.
> >
> >https://i.imgur.com/UBG5GGI.jpg
> >
> >I miss him.
> ... a lesser known saw-player : :-)
>
> https://jnpickens.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/4thmarlene.jpg
>
> Marlene Dietrich playing the saw between her knees
> for a military audience.
>
> John T.

Grandpa had a bigger bow...and was better dressed. ;-)

Re: Power Saws Can't Play The Polka - You Need A Hand Saw

<ssic8o$e0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5944&group=rec.woodworking#5944

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:50:23 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:50 UTC

On 1/22/2022 18:48, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> "Power Saws Can't Play The Polka" is the title of an article written about
> my grandfather in 1983. Grandpa played the saw, entertaining friends
> and family for over 6 decades. Not mentioned in the article is the fact
> that Grandpa took several trips to Nashville. On one trip he managed to
> get invited up on stage at the Grand Ole Opry to sit in with the band for
> few songs. He was not a shy man. ;-)
>
> Here's a copy of the article:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/KPDGbjT.jpg
>
> And the best dressed man in Chicopee, MA
>
> https://i.imgur.com/TuUP3wu.jpg
>
> As noted in the article, Grandpa eventually became a mason and home
> builder. This is the house that he built for his family in 1930, fairly early in
> his career. They lived in the basement while he was building the house in
> the evenings and on weekends. Note the brickwork over the bay window.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/UBG5GGI.jpg
>
> I miss him.

What a cool story! I wish that I could hear him play "the saw". Thanks
for sharing. I would love to see the Grand Ole Opry... some day.

I never knew my father's father. Grandma remarried after he passed, and
the man was several years grandma's senior; closer to the age of your
grandfather perhaps. He was born in 1920, and him and his brother built
his house, while my grandfather and his first wife lived in the cellar
after WW2. The tiny "apartment" is still down there. He was Italian,
and the kept the cellar kitchen as a "summer kitchen". I miss him as well.