24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

interests / rec.games.video.arcade.collecting / Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustments

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustmentsRo Blackwood
`- Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustmentsJohn Robertson

1
Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustments

<f493b7f0-6537-44a5-9fe6-b059a51aae4cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=61&group=rec.games.video.arcade.collecting#61

Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 23:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustments
From: blackwoo...@gmail.com (Ro Blackwood)
 by: Ro Blackwood - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 06:05 UTC

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:53:34 PM UTC-7, t...@mydax.com wrote:
> FIXED!
>
> From Muel on KLOV Forums:
>
> Tom,
>
> I've had this happen to my Stargate - corrupt data in the CMOS causes the seemingly infinite lives and the inability to make adjustments in the service menu.
>
> To fix:
>
> Remove batteries from the MPU.
>
> Open the coin door
>
> Start the game
>
> You should get a factory settings restored message because of the open coin door switch being activated.
>
> Power down.
>
> Put new batteries in the MPU
>
> Start the game again and adjust the game settings to your desire.
>
> ..should be back to normal at this point.
>
> (Works for my Stargate whenever this happens.)
>

> -Muel
>

> Thank you Muel!
>
> This worked perfectly!
>
> I really appreciate the help!
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Having the same issue with my Stargate machine. Could you elaborate on where the MPU is located / what it looks like? Just picked my unit recently, so kind of new to this, thus starting my learning curve.

Re: Williams Stargate - Can't make game adjustments

<heudnTtzdssl62__nZ2dnZfqn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=62&group=rec.games.video.arcade.collecting#62

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 08:02:12 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:02 UTC

On 2022/08/08 11:05 p.m., Ro Blackwood wrote:
> On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:53:34 PM UTC-7, t...@mydax.com wrote:
>> FIXED!
>>
>> From Muel on KLOV Forums:
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> I've had this happen to my Stargate - corrupt data in the CMOS causes the seemingly infinite lives and the inability to make adjustments in the service menu.
>>
>> To fix:
>>
>> Remove batteries from the MPU.
>>
>> Open the coin door
>>
>> Start the game
>>
>> You should get a factory settings restored message because of the open coin door switch being activated.
>>
>> Power down.
>>
>> Put new batteries in the MPU
>>
>> Start the game again and adjust the game settings to your desire.
>>
>> ..should be back to normal at this point.
>>
>> (Works for my Stargate whenever this happens.)
>>

>> -Muel
>>

>> Thank you Muel!
>>
>> This worked perfectly!
>>
>> I really appreciate the help!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tom
>
> Having the same issue with my Stargate machine. Could you elaborate on where the MPU is located / what it looks like? Just picked my unit recently, so kind of new to this, thus starting my learning curve.

Is your machine an upright, cocktail table, or mini upright (cabaret)?
The way to access the boards is different for each version.

I recommend doing an online search for the game manuals for your version
of the game and then open up the section that holds the game boards and
check the largest board that has three AA batteries on it. Chances are
the batteries have leaked, but if the game is running the damage isn't
severe - yet.

https://flippers.com/battery.html

We service those boards here in Burnaby, BC, Canada (address at the
bottom) or if you can solder ICs then we sell the replacement NVRAM for
the CMOS Memory IC that needs to be replaced so you can be rid of
batteries once and for all!

Hope this helps get you started!

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com