"The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain." -- G. Fitch

interests / rec.games.video.classic / Re: The NES was crap!

SubjectAuthor
o Re: The NES was crap!Casey J Parker

1
Re: The NES was crap!

<twuyJ.71470$Gco3.37669@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=61&group=rec.games.video.classic#61

Subject: Re: The NES was crap!
Newsgroups: rec.games.video.classic,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo
From: parker.c...@pm.me (Casey J Parker)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:21:12 -0800
 by: Casey J Parker - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 02:21 UTC

I'll bite.

The NES was built using cheap parts to great effect. It wasn't inferior
to the C64 or SMS, for a few reasons. The big one is hardware scrolling.

I'm not sure if you know at all what the environment was at the time. It
wasn't a technological arms race, it was a quest to create a fun and
affordable home videogame system.

So do the ultimate true comparison. Play the games. The NES resurrected
the market after the endless flood of shovelware on C64, Atari machines,
Coleco, etc. totally tanked it. The solution was good games.

The NES is why you have consoles in the US at all.