Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:35:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: wine while contemplating Usenet clients- Bdx, Burg, Loire, Wachau
, OR and more
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:35 UTC

Striped bass, pasta with pesto, and the 2021 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot Gris. Spicy, a little oily, rich, but not heavy. A very good rendition of the grape, just not a grape I tend to love. B
No wine Tuesday with Bolognese before heading to city
Wednesday Hmart chicken, trumpet mushrooms, Shanghai bok choy with oyster sauce, rice, salad.
2021 Lapalu Cote de Brouilly
Juicy, bright, and fun, red and black cherry with coffee and pepper. Delicious and approachable. B+

Linguine with littlenecks, broccoli, salad, and the 2022 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica. Peaches, lime, saline. Solid acid core, good length. B+/B

Some friends over Friday for dinner.
Shrimp cocktail (cocktail sauce and curry mayo)
NV Gosset Grande Rose Champagne
Cherries, rose petals, citrus peel, and caraway. Spicy, long, and complex.I always like but a particularly good bottle, A-/B+
Rack of lamb persillade cooked over smashed potatoes, spinach, salad
1985 Latour a Pomerol
Cork seemed saturated, but wine was great. Balanced and elegant, with cassis and black plum, coffee, and cigarbox. A pointe , but no hurry. A-
2015 Pibarnon Bandol
Ripe and full, black plum and blackberry with coffee and grilled meats. Young but tasty. B+
Saturday oysters, sauteed scallops, mushroom risotto, and asparagus.
2019 Huet Le Mont Vouvray sec
Yes, young, but not closed and really delicious. Green apple, citrus, saline and beeswax. Some wooliness with air. B+ for now, A potential (if I can stop drinking)
Sunday as deluge started chicken donabe, with the 2005 Knoll Loibner Riesling Smaragd. I’m a big Knoll fan, but this didn’t appeal. Label says 12.5% but to me it seems hot and heavy, Sweet peach and apricot, not so long. C+
No wine Monday with lamb and white bean stew, puntarelle alla Romana

Last night pork tenderloin, oyster mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and salad with puntarelle
2015 Prudhon Les Rouges Gorges St Aubin 1er (rouge)
A Dr. John wine, definitely the wrong time. Tight, tannic, and fruit-deprived. With some air a little more red fruit and wet earth come out, but still withdrawn. I should know better than to open a 1er cru at 8, but thought maybe a St Aubin would be more open. C+ for current consumption.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.