Do not take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

SubjectAuthor
* Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsDan Purgert
+* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
|`* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsDan Purgert
| `- Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsThomas
`* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsMichael Trew
 `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
  +- Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
  `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsDan Purgert
   `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
    +* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsDan Purgert
    |`- Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
    `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsMichael Trew
     `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird
      `* Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingsMichael Trew
       `- Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few thingssongbird

1
Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<slrnu3bdkk.fu4.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=614&group=rec.gardens.edible#614

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 19:34:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 19:34 UTC

With the weather being warm enough that the weeds are starting to come
in (and some onion-looking things that were planted by the previous
owner), decided to take the past weekend and dig out the first two of
this year's planned three experimental vegetable beds, and plant some
onion sets, garlic, and potatoes; which should all be hardy enough to
survive any of this year's remaining frosts (SHOULD).

Also planted a few containers with beans and peas, because I can move
those inside at night, and let everything stay warm. Not sure how bad
of an idea it is; but they're container varieties, so we'll see.

Then it's just waiting about 2 weeks (maybe 2 and a half) to pass the
50% light frost date so I can comfortably start planting the less hardy
things I wanted to try. Not all that concerned that it's 50% chance,
since I have more than enough seed packets to kill off a row or two of
the leafy things I grabbed.

It's not quite "edible", but I've also got plans for a few flower
gardens around the property to make things look ever so slightly better.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<i29hgj-u26.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=615&group=rec.gardens.edible#615

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:02:58 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 00:02 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> With the weather being warm enough that the weeds are starting to come
> in (and some onion-looking things that were planted by the previous
> owner), decided to take the past weekend and dig out the first two of
> this year's planned three experimental vegetable beds, and plant some
> onion sets, garlic, and potatoes; which should all be hardy enough to
> survive any of this year's remaining frosts (SHOULD).

garlic is up and growing here along with many of the onion
species.

> Also planted a few containers with beans and peas, because I can move
> those inside at night, and let everything stay warm. Not sure how bad
> of an idea it is; but they're container varieties, so we'll see.
>
> Then it's just waiting about 2 weeks (maybe 2 and a half) to pass the
> 50% light frost date so I can comfortably start planting the less hardy
> things I wanted to try. Not all that concerned that it's 50% chance,
> since I have more than enough seed packets to kill off a row or two of
> the leafy things I grabbed.

all pretty much what i would do here, but i don't do too
much container gardening.

i won't be putting any peas in for another week or two
and some potentially sacrificial beans (because i have
several gallons of seeds of those so if i lose a row or
two it isn't a huge problem).

> It's not quite "edible", but I've also got plans for a few flower
> gardens around the property to make things look ever so slightly better.

:)

early spring flowers are nice to have in, some daffodils and
hyacinths are out, the earliest irises are up and mostly gone
and some of the other earliest flowers.

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<slrnu3d5fg.fu4.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=616&group=rec.gardens.edible#616

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:27:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:27 UTC

On 2023-04-12, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> With the weather being warm enough that the weeds are starting to come
>> in (and some onion-looking things that were planted by the previous
>> owner), decided to take the past weekend and dig out the first two of
>> this year's planned three experimental vegetable beds, and plant some
>> onion sets, garlic, and potatoes; which should all be hardy enough to
>> survive any of this year's remaining frosts (SHOULD).
>
> garlic is up and growing here along with many of the onion
> species.

Yeah, the couple of onions / garlic bulbs that already had shoots coming
out seem to have taken a liking to the dirt, and I have 2 or 3 popping
up through the mulch.

>> Also planted a few containers with beans and peas, because I can move
>> those inside at night, and let everything stay warm. Not sure how bad
>> of an idea it is; but they're container varieties, so we'll see.
>>
>> [...]
> all pretty much what i would do here, but i don't do too
> much container gardening.

I wasn't too keen on the idea, but I already had the containers from a
try last year at making the back deck look a little less barren. Didn't
work out, as the pots ended up looking a bit like islands out there ...

> i won't be putting any peas in for another week or two
> and some potentially sacrificial beans (because i have
> several gallons of seeds of those so if i lose a row or
> two it isn't a huge problem).
>

>> It's not quite "edible", but I've also got plans for a few flower
>> gardens around the property to make things look ever so slightly better.
>
> :)
>
> early spring flowers are nice to have in, some daffodils and
> hyacinths are out, the earliest irises are up and mostly gone
> and some of the other earliest flowers.

Yeah, soon as I get the seed, I'm gonna be sowing the flowers in a
rather dilapidated-looking bed on the side of the house. Found a local
company that sells a mix of shade-tolerant (thriving?) annuals and
perennials that're supposed to attract butterflies and other
pollinators, so hopefully it works out well.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<04e0e727-e8c4-43f1-8d56-75609b52afc8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=617&group=rec.gardens.edible#617

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 04:01:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:01 UTC

On Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 7:27:48 AM UTC-4, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-04-12, songbird wrote:
> > Dan Purgert wrote:
> >> With the weather being warm enough that the weeds are starting to come
> >> in (and some onion-looking things that were planted by the previous
> >> owner), decided to take the past weekend and dig out the first two of
> >> this year's planned three experimental vegetable beds, and plant some
> >> onion sets, garlic, and potatoes; which should all be hardy enough to
> >> survive any of this year's remaining frosts (SHOULD).
> >
> > garlic is up and growing here along with many of the onion
> > species.
> Yeah, the couple of onions / garlic bulbs that already had shoots coming
> out seem to have taken a liking to the dirt, and I have 2 or 3 popping
> up through the mulch.
> >> Also planted a few containers with beans and peas, because I can move
> >> those inside at night, and let everything stay warm. Not sure how bad
> >> of an idea it is; but they're container varieties, so we'll see.
> >>
> >> [...]
> > all pretty much what i would do here, but i don't do too
> > much container gardening.
> I wasn't too keen on the idea, but I already had the containers from a
> try last year at making the back deck look a little less barren. Didn't
> work out, as the pots ended up looking a bit like islands out there ...
> >
> > i won't be putting any peas in for another week or two
> > and some potentially sacrificial beans (because i have
> > several gallons of seeds of those so if i lose a row or
> > two it isn't a huge problem).
> >

> >> It's not quite "edible", but I've also got plans for a few flower
> >> gardens around the property to make things look ever so slightly better.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > early spring flowers are nice to have in, some daffodils and
> > hyacinths are out, the earliest irises are up and mostly gone
> > and some of the other earliest flowers.
> Yeah, soon as I get the seed, I'm gonna be sowing the flowers in a
> rather dilapidated-looking bed on the side of the house. Found a local
> company that sells a mix of shade-tolerant (thriving?) annuals and
> perennials that're supposed to attract butterflies and other
> pollinators, so hopefully it works out well.
> --
> |_|O|_|
> |_|_|O| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
Horseradish in on April 2 with 4 inch leaves now. I planted it opposite a deep old foundation wall so I don't need to worry about creep. Zone 5 PA. Planted some flower seeds yesterday, no idea what they will be other than I was told they will be purple lol.

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<u221i1$3gpgj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=618&group=rec.gardens.edible#618

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 21:27:37 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 01:27 UTC

On 4/11/2023 15:34, Dan Purgert wrote:
> With the weather being warm enough that the weeds are starting to come
> in (and some onion-looking things that were planted by the previous
> owner), decided to take the past weekend and dig out the first two of
> this year's planned three experimental vegetable beds, and plant some
> onion sets, garlic, and potatoes; which should all be hardy enough to
> survive any of this year's remaining frosts (SHOULD).
>
> Also planted a few containers with beans and peas, because I can move
> those inside at night, and let everything stay warm. Not sure how bad
> of an idea it is; but they're container varieties, so we'll see.
>
> Then it's just waiting about 2 weeks (maybe 2 and a half) to pass the
> 50% light frost date so I can comfortably start planting the less hardy
> things I wanted to try. Not all that concerned that it's 50% chance,
> since I have more than enough seed packets to kill off a row or two of
> the leafy things I grabbed.
>
> It's not quite "edible", but I've also got plans for a few flower
> gardens around the property to make things look ever so slightly better.

I really need to get moving on turning over the soil; I've been too
distracted. I've never done onion/potato sets, but this is as good a
time to start as any. Suppose I ought to head out and figure out where
to buy them.

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<gvfehj-jkl.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=619&group=rec.gardens.edible#619

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 21:58:40 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 01:58 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> I really need to get moving on turning over the soil; I've been too
> distracted. I've never done onion/potato sets, but this is as good a
> time to start as any. Suppose I ought to head out and figure out where
> to buy them.

local big box store garden centers, local greenhouses.

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<cagehj-pml.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=620&group=rec.gardens.edible#620

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 22:04:28 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 02:04 UTC

songbird wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> I really need to get moving on turning over the soil; I've been too
>> distracted. I've never done onion/potato sets, but this is as good a
>> time to start as any. Suppose I ought to head out and figure out where
>> to buy them.
>
> local big box store garden centers, local greenhouses.

oh, and also there might be local grain elevators or other
agricultural supply type places to check.

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<slrnu4cj22.p0u.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=621&group=rec.gardens.edible#621

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:29:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:29 UTC

On 2023-04-23, songbird wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> I really need to get moving on turning over the soil; I've been too
>> distracted. I've never done onion/potato sets, but this is as good a
>> time to start as any. Suppose I ought to head out and figure out where
>> to buy them.
>
> local big box store garden centers, local greenhouses.

I got mine from the local Home Depot or Lowes garden section.

As of yesterday, many of the onions (about 1/3 to 1/2 or so) have
sprouted.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<uijihj-8p7.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=622&group=rec.gardens.edible#622

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:24:46 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:24 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> I got mine from the local Home Depot or Lowes garden section.
>
> As of yesterday, many of the onions (about 1/3 to 1/2 or so) have
> sprouted.

i've been growing mine from seeds the past several years.
learning by doing, plus it is a good way to weed out the
kinds that will not survive our winters.

https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/

both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
you'd like to keep using them.

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<slrnu4dabv.p0u.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=623&group=rec.gardens.edible#623

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:07:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:07 UTC

On 2023-04-24, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> I got mine from the local Home Depot or Lowes garden section.
>>
>> As of yesterday, many of the onions (about 1/3 to 1/2 or so) have
>> sprouted.
>
> i've been growing mine from seeds the past several years.
> learning by doing, plus it is a good way to weed out the
> kinds that will not survive our winters.

I just bought a "mixed" bag of onion sets. IIRC it's a mix of your
"standard(tm) red/white/yellow generic kitchen onion" (or at least the
bag doesn't talk about what varieties are actually in there). Also
picked up a seed packet for walla walla because why not try starting in
trays (and it sounded interesting).

> https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/
>
> both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
> as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
> you'd like to keep using them.

I'd expand that to "Alliums in general" ; though I have to also be
space-conscious (in all I have ~75 sqft of beds, and a few things want
18" rows, so ... )

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<65oihj-cab.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=624&group=rec.gardens.edible#624

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:42:46 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:42 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> songbird wrote:

> I just bought a "mixed" bag of onion sets. IIRC it's a mix of your
> "standard(tm) red/white/yellow generic kitchen onion" (or at least the
> bag doesn't talk about what varieties are actually in there). Also
> picked up a seed packet for walla walla because why not try starting in
> trays (and it sounded interesting).

the larger sets will sometimes flower. i love onion
flowers so i leave those alone so the bees can get at
them. :)

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/
>>
>> both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
>> as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
>> you'd like to keep using them.
>
> I'd expand that to "Alliums in general" ; though I have to also be
> space-conscious (in all I have ~75 sqft of beds, and a few things want
> 18" rows, so ... )

yes, that would put a damper on what could be grown.
large onions do need more space, so those Walla Walla
seedlings may not get very big if they are planted in
close quarters.

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<u27g5h$mvn5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=625&group=rec.gardens.edible#625

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 23:07:31 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 03:07 UTC

On 4/24/2023 11:24, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> I got mine from the local Home Depot or Lowes garden section.
>>
>> As of yesterday, many of the onions (about 1/3 to 1/2 or so) have
>> sprouted.
>
> i've been growing mine from seeds the past several years.
> learning by doing, plus it is a good way to weed out the
> kinds that will not survive our winters.
>
> https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/
>
> both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
> as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
> you'd like to keep using them.
>

> songbird

That's what I'm thinking. I've never grown them before (aside from
green/spring onions), but my neighbor gave me several home grown red
potatoes and white onions last year, and they were really good.

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<l4tkhj-boa.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=626&group=rec.gardens.edible#626

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:20:05 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 12:20 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
>songird wrote:
>> https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/
>>
>> both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
>> as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
>> you'd like to keep using them.
>
> That's what I'm thinking. I've never grown them before (aside from
> green/spring onions), but my neighbor gave me several home grown red
> potatoes and white onions last year, and they were really good.

if you have enough room it's fun, but for sure it can
also get out of hand if you let those seeds fly all over
the place. in that way it reminds of me of dill that once
you let it go to seed someplace it can be hard to remove
it.

i try to get the seed heads snipped off and in a tray
for drying before the seed capsules start breaking open.

if there's anything lacking in my linked descriptions
and pictures let me know. :)

songbird

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<u2ab6j$18iju$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=627&group=rec.gardens.edible#627

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 01:01:10 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 05:01 UTC

On 4/25/2023 8:20, songbird wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> songird wrote:
>>> https://www.anthive.com/project/onions/
>>>
>>> both garlic and onions are well worth learning how to grow
>>> as once you find varieties you like for eating and cooking
>>> you'd like to keep using them.
>>
>> That's what I'm thinking. I've never grown them before (aside from
>> green/spring onions), but my neighbor gave me several home grown red
>> potatoes and white onions last year, and they were really good.
>
> if you have enough room it's fun, but for sure it can
> also get out of hand if you let those seeds fly all over
> the place. in that way it reminds of me of dill that once
> you let it go to seed someplace it can be hard to remove
> it.

My yard isn't pretty. I don't use any fertilizer, weed spray, etc.
Even if potatoes/onions took over, I'd sure rather have those growing
wild (yum!) instead of weeds.

> i try to get the seed heads snipped off and in a tray
> for drying before the seed capsules start breaking open.
>
> if there's anything lacking in my linked descriptions
> and pictures let me know. :)

Thanks!

Re: Might be a bit early ... but planted a few things

<hnfnhj-o94.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=628&group=rec.gardens.edible#628

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 07:49:37 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:49 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> My yard isn't pretty. I don't use any fertilizer, weed spray, etc.
> Even if potatoes/onions took over, I'd sure rather have those growing
> wild (yum!) instead of weeds.

ha! yes, i'm getting further along each time i get a chance
on removing what is left of the grass/lawn and replacing it by
gardens. i'd much rather garden than mow any time.

songbird