Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:37:59 -0800 (PST)
<5904fce3-d3cd-45ea-9eb7-abe92beb654c@googlegroups.com> <12273080-a0db-4675-8413-e83f5dd8d783@googlegroups.com>
<ae6f90f6-3a2a-499d-9d0f-acb4922e6ba4@googlegroups.com> <07f6aa9b-ba33-4628-849a-1af3bb996868@googlegroups.com>
<879a4f0e-3f56-4d7a-910c-c8402a7cabfd@googlegroups.com> <d05878dc-6d0a-4576-a9fa-1ab974dcf75d@googlegroups.com>
<b92a9e8f-bd00-40aa-8b49-c2e23eff49c1@googlegroups.com> <4a7b0079-43fe-4e77-a851-7be7c91145d6@googlegroups.com>
<033d7148-d34f-49fc-9a28-f5b072f8014e@googlegroups.com> <d465852f-0a3e-46e1-8471-ab0cf13bdd07@googlegroups.com>
<519e2096-83c6-47d3-9055-ec454a15eaf9@googlegroups.com> <80011936-2bb9-4fa1-9b67-a275b69c93f2@googlegroups.com>
<5841d079-2a3d-4c58-954c-bd445168d22e@googlegroups.com> <2562dbb7-9bdf-49d0-9faf-a7183c2e8989@googlegroups.com>
<fe43f939-2856-4ed6-bba6-83170d52782f@googlegroups.com> <bd270078-c9fd-4b56-954e-5213f6177262@googlegroups.com>
<7e0b67e9-433c-455b-8902-48672f095ba6@googlegroups.com> <9b0c9599-67bf-42cb-b65d-fdaa961011ab@googlegroups.com>
<80e97553-b611-4eb6-bdd1-f89258eb17c8@googlegroups.com> <c96157e5-725d-4b44-acfe-8f0b5104862c@googlegroups.com>
<70176d12-580d-48e4-9bca-3b1f7b8f5268@googlegroups.com> <264a6b93-06dc-4e7d-a7a3-0468dde074cc@googlegroups.com>
<e94d2792-62fe-42f7-b095-3de3699d0f88@googlegroups.com> <9a727998-d889-494c-903d-3a39993ec859@googlegroups.com>
<549d5987-d7eb-48c5-b699-80fb35b17523@googlegroups.com> <d8f64f67-12dc-41a9-ab8b-416487cc54ea@googlegroups.com>
<f638708f-f33f-458d-9a0e-a2ecce4dc7eb@googlegroups.com> <daf90807-d369-40be-8954-ff2318439a26@googlegroups.com>
<140bafa6-f250-4126-beb9-b0597ec24bbe@googlegroups.com> <4b5a4b6b-f438-4134-8c52-c29aeef93b60@googlegroups.com>
<99689dcd-95d1-4371-969e-d26a5d4581a0@googlegroups.com> <2bc22794-10d2-4634-8b8a-b852603762f9@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Daniel Eps, housholder, who died in 1620
From: jarednat...@gmail.com (James Nathan)
 by: James Nathan - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:37 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 7:27:39 PM UTC-7, taf wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 8:24:29 AM UTC-8, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Very interesting, Todd. Looking at the Sandes/Sondes/at Sende pedigree
> > right now ... ancestral names in the chart would seem to be Russell, Dod,
> > Guildford, Urrey, de Deane, Cheyney, and Towne.
> >
> > Maybe someone can do more with this.
> From the Visitations alone, I develop the following AT for Thomazin (Fisher) Epes:
>
> 1. Thomazin Fisher
> 2. Alexander Fisher
> 3. Katherine Maplesden
> 4. John Fisher
> 5. Thomazin Bettenham
> 6. Peter Maplesden
> 7. Joan Gay
> 8. William Fisher of Maidstone
> 9. ( ) Friar
> 10. William Bettenham
> 11. Agnes Sandes
> 12. John Maplesden
> 13. Anne Miller
> 14. Thomas Gay, note A.
> 18. John Friar
> 20. John Bettenham
> 21. ( ) Yue
> 22. William Sandes of Lingfield
> 23. Elizabeth Towne
> 24. Thomas Maplesden of Cheveney in Morden (sic)
> 26. John Miller
> 40. Stephen Bettenham of Cranbro
> 41. Helwise Baker
> 44. Richard Sonds als Sandes of Alfricheston, Sussex
> 45. Paulina Dene
> 46. Thomas at Towne, note B
> 47. Joan Cheyney, note C
> 48. John Maplesden of Cheveney on Marden (sic)
> 82. William Baker
> 88. Richard Sonde
> 89. Elizabeth Urrey
> 90. John/Robert Dene of Alfricheston, Sussex, note B
> 91. Alice Cheyney
> 92. Thomas at Towne
> 93. Bennitt (i.e. Benedicta) Detling note D
> 94. William/Richard Cheyney of Sheppey
> 96. John Maplesden of Goudhurst
> 176. Richard Sonde
> 177. Maude Guldford
> 178. John Urrey
> 180. Robert de Dene
> 181. ( ) Chelwyke
> 182. Robert Cheney of Manwood, Sussex
> 186. John Detling
> 187. Joan de Shelving
> 192. John Maplesden of Maplesden
> 352. Robart at Sende als Sande
> 353. Alice Dod
> 354. Richard Guldford
> 362. ( ) Chelwyke of Grane
> 363. ( ) Podinden
> 374. John de Shelving
> 375. ( ) Denne
> 384. Henry Maplesden of Maplesden in Bennenden
> 704. Walter at Sende
> 705. Maude Rushall/Russall
> 706. Gilbert Dod
> 750. William Denne note E
> 751. ( ) Gatton
> 1408. Adam at Sende
> 1409. ( ) Saband
> 1410. Richard Rushall/Russall
> 1500. William Denne
> 1502. Giles Gatton
> 2816. Henry at Sende
> 2818. Peter Saband
> 3000. Richard Deane
> [...]

I have information from unpublished documents obtained from the Kent archives on extending/fixing the pedigree assembled from visitations. For the Cheyne piece, you are already aware of an upcoming TAG article by Nathan Murphy:
https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/trep5Ej31hs/m/UxFqZ8adBAAJ

However, possibly an interesting piece to look at (and this forum perhaps appropriate?) is to look at the ancestry of Benedicta (Detling/Brampton)(Towne) Bettenham. Her will gives the needed evidence on how to fix published errors (for example, Hasted) in her next couple of generations, based on the many manors she owned; parsing out which of her ancestors she got them from seems to be straightforward. Of particular note, I believe it can be demonstrated she is a descendant of Ranulf de Broc/Stephen de Thurnham. Not only supported by following the inheritance of manors, but a Sondes deed of a later manor clearly laid out the de Dene's and Gatton's (ipms went away at the point when Thomas de Dene successfully sued the king and had it released to him, so it would seem Thomas did this on all his manors). Please let me know if interested.