The world really isn't any worse. It's just that the news coverage is so much better.

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,dalewilli...@gmail.com
`- Re: TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,dalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,

<9c808a35-7011-49f0-83e2-92df9ddcba17n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=628&group=alt.food.wine#628

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:18:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 19:18 UTC

Hmart chicken, trumpet mushrooms, salad, with the 2016 Castello di Bossi Berardo Chianti Classico Riserva. Not what I am looking for in Chianti- heavy, a little hot, thick. Unfortunately I have a couple more of these (in a lot with a couple of Querciabellas, which is what I wanted). C+

Gochugaru salmon with crispy rice, yu choy, beech mushrooms, with the 2021 Ch. de la Noblesse Bandol Rose. Sweet cherry, warm, not the snappiest but good match with the spicy salmon. B-/C+

Friday up to John’s for a night of claret and Champagne. The usual crew, plus Salil who I haven’t seen in 6-8 years. Nice spread of cheeses and pate, plus some homemade gravlax to go with the bubbles. We got really lucky with some great wines.
Jacques Selosse “Initial” Blanc de Blancs
Lovely, rich peach fruit but with nervy chalky minerality, long complex finish. But out of my price range these days. A-/B+
2001 Trotanoy
Young, structured, deep core of black plum fruit with mocha notes. B for now, A potential.
1993 Trotanoy
A lovely surprise (to me at least), plum and dark berries, earth, some green pepper and herbs, but in balance. B/B+
NV Barbichon 4 Cepages (2019 base)
Fine mousse, pit fruits and fresh bread, fun. B+/B
1989 La Dominique
Christmas spices/fruitcake, very exotic. B+
1989 Magdelaine
Young but stunning, black cherry, cassis, cigarbox, and smoke. Very long. A-
2007 Marie Noelle Ledru Champagne
Green apple, citrus, and honey,. Vibrant and elegant. A-

1989 La Conseillante
Black cherry and plum, cocoa, with a lovely green herb twist to the finish. Complete and fine. A-/A
1989 Certan de May
Someone calls Burgundian, black and red cherries with leather and herb, a little horsey note, but balanced. B+
2006 Billecart Salmon Elisabeth Salmon Rose Champagne
Soft but not flabby, elegant mousse, red fruited with orange zest and smoke.. Complex. A-/B+
1986 L’Arrosee
So this was declared corked before it got to me, I didn’t pour , but someone later questioned. I went and tried, not overtly corked, but something musty that doesn’t belong, this is usually a very good wine. NR
1982 Magdelaine
Black plums and raspberries, cedar and mocha, great length and complexity. A/A-
1989 Trotanoy
Clearly corked. This was one of the bottles I brought, but I hadn’t detected at double decanting. Damn.
1985 Trotanoy
Red fruits, coffee, cigar smoke, quite good but I’ve had great bottles of this. B+
Really fun night, sorry I had to mostly spit, but great company and we got very lucky with the wines, I’d be happy with any of the non-corked ones on any night.
Saturday was oysters, cod cheeks, crab cakes, broccoli, and the 2008 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne. There’s still a woody streak here, but solid pear and grapefruit base, bright acids, no oxidation, good tangy finish. B for me, might be higher for those that like their wood.

Sunday I was making chili but we got invited to her sister’s for pork tacos. Not the easiest match, but the NV (2005) Charles Heidsieck Special Edition Brut Rose did pretty well. Red cherries, citrus zest, caraway seed, with enough generosity to go with mild spice but enough verve to not be trampled (bottled 2006, disgorged 2019). B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Lots of RB Bordeaux and Champagne, + Chianti, Corton-Charlemagne,

<6298a753-ffa6-4957-866b-284633dc305en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=629&group=alt.food.wine#629

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 12:55:33 -0800 (PST)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:55 UTC

I neglected to mention that John served excellent short ribs with the last 2 flights.