"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'" -- David Parnas

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart

SubjectAuthor
* TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmartdalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmartgreybeard
 +- Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmartgreybeard
 `- Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmartdalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart

<fb302886-dc14-47a3-aaa4-e23035c575b4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=630&group=alt.food.wine#630

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 09:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:44 UTC

Paul organized a couple of dinners to welcome friends from the West Coast who were visiting NYC, I was privileged to be part of round 1, claret at Hawksmoor. We started with excellent scallops, good marrow bones, and very disappointing (based on previous try) potted beef and bacon. After we split some very good meat (porterhouse, rib chops, and sirloin), carrots, beef fat fries, mashed potatoes, spinach, and Caesar salad.

2006 Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut Champagne
Full-framed, pear and tangerine, brioche. Excellent A-

2014 Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut Champagne
Powerful and a bit tight, apple with orange zest, floral notes, stony finish, I enjoy but give time. B with potential

Some ‘86 to start
1986 Lynch Bages
Quite giving, though you can still feel some tannin on backend. Cassis, pencil lead, just a hint of green. Nice finish, B+

1986 Cos d’Estournel
Pretty open, black fruit and cedary/oaky notes. There’s nothing wrong with this wine it just fails to excite me. B-

Next was a great flight of Pomerols
1982 La Conseillante
Black plum and raspberry, coffee, and sandalwood. Exotic, long, complex. A-

1982 L’Evangile
Wowsa showing, black cherry and cassis, cigarbox, leather, great texture, long finish. A-/A

1982 Haut-Bailly
I liked this more than some. If you are looking for a lush opulent ‘82, not for you. But this is classic Graves, red and black fruits, tobacco, snappy acids, fine tannins. B+

1982 Cos d’Estournel
Cassis, a little mint , touch of barnyard. Perfectly fine wine but to me lacking the interest and complexity of the other ‘82s. B

1982 Calon SegurI also liked this more than some. Black cherry, soil tones, a little animal note. Nice length, good complexity on finish. B+

1982 Leoville Las Cases
I’m not biggest LLC fan, but this is an excellent (young) wine. Cassis accented with black plum, espresso, tobacco A-/B+

I just realized I didn’t take a note on a port that went around, I believe ‘91 Fonseca. I was just spitting at this point, remember big figgy flavors and some (expected) heat, but don’t really have a take on it (and I’m certainly no port expert).

Really fun night with excellent wines and company.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart

<unkci2$257cr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=631&group=alt.food.wine#631

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (greybeard)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:07:14 +1300
 by: greybeard - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 21:07 UTC

Bdx 82's all rage at the moment?

Here's a report from late last year on '82.
Only wine present in both is the Cos, but interesting.

https://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co.nz/index.php?ArticleID=335

cheers greybeard
( who lurks constantly in this ng. Keep up the reviews Dale )

On 10/01/24 06:44, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Paul organized a couple of dinners to welcome friends from the West Coast who were visiting NYC, I was privileged to be part of round 1, claret at Hawksmoor. We started with excellent scallops, good marrow bones, and very disappointing (based on previous try) potted beef and bacon. After we split some very good meat (porterhouse, rib chops, and sirloin), carrots, beef fat fries, mashed potatoes, spinach, and Caesar salad.
>
> 2006 Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut Champagne
> Full-framed, pear and tangerine, brioche. Excellent A-
>
> 2014 Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut Champagne
> Powerful and a bit tight, apple with orange zest, floral notes, stony finish, I enjoy but give time. B with potential
>
> Some ‘86 to start
> 1986 Lynch Bages
> Quite giving, though you can still feel some tannin on backend. Cassis, pencil lead, just a hint of green. Nice finish, B+
>
> 1986 Cos d’Estournel
> Pretty open, black fruit and cedary/oaky notes. There’s nothing wrong with this wine it just fails to excite me. B-
>
> Next was a great flight of Pomerols
> 1982 La Conseillante
> Black plum and raspberry, coffee, and sandalwood. Exotic, long, complex. A-
>
> 1982 L’Evangile
> Wowsa showing, black cherry and cassis, cigarbox, leather, great texture, long finish. A-/A
>
> 1982 Haut-Bailly
> I liked this more than some. If you are looking for a lush opulent ‘82, not for you. But this is classic Graves, red and black fruits, tobacco, snappy acids, fine tannins. B+
>
> 1982 Cos d’Estournel
> Cassis, a little mint , touch of barnyard. Perfectly fine wine but to me lacking the interest and complexity of the other ‘82s. B
>
> 1982 Calon SegurI also liked this more than some. Black cherry, soil tones, a little animal note. Nice length, good complexity on finish. B+
>

> 1982 Leoville Las Cases
> I’m not biggest LLC fan, but this is an excellent (young) wine. Cassis accented with black plum, espresso, tobacco A-/B+
>
> I just realized I didn’t take a note on a port that went around, I believe ‘91 Fonseca. I was just spitting at this point, remember big figgy flavors and some (expected) heat, but don’t really have a take on it (and I’m certainly no port expert).
>
> Really fun night with excellent wines and company.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart

<unkcqp$257cr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=632&group=alt.food.wine#632

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (greybeard)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:11:52 +1300
 by: greybeard - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 21:11 UTC

On 10/01/24 10:07, greybeard wrote:

> Bdx 82's all rage at the moment?
>
> Here's a report from late last year on '82.
> Only wine present in both is the Cos, but interesting.

Oops! and the Conseillante.

> https://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co.nz/index.php?ArticleID=335
>

> cheers greybeard
>  ( who lurks constantly in this ng. Keep up the reviews Dale )
>

> On 10/01/24 06:44, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Paul organized a couple of dinners to welcome friends from the West
>> Coast who were visiting NYC, I was privileged to be part of round 1,
>> claret at Hawksmoor. We started with excellent scallops, good marrow
>> bones, and very disappointing (based on previous try) potted beef and
>> bacon. After we split some very good meat (porterhouse, rib chops, and
>> sirloin), carrots, beef fat fries, mashed potatoes, spinach, and
>> Caesar salad.
>>
>> 2006 Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut  Champagne
>> Full-framed, pear and tangerine, brioche. Excellent A-
>>
>> 2014  Vilmart “Coeur de Cuvée” Brut  Champagne
>> Powerful and a bit tight, apple with orange zest, floral notes, stony
>> finish, I enjoy but give time. B with potential
>>
>> Some ‘86 to start
>> 1986 Lynch Bages
>> Quite giving, though you can still feel some tannin on backend.
>> Cassis, pencil lead, just a hint of green. Nice finish, B+
>>
>> 1986 Cos d’Estournel
>> Pretty open, black fruit and cedary/oaky notes. There’s nothing wrong
>> with this wine it just fails to excite me. B-
>>
>>   Next was a great flight of Pomerols
>> 1982 La Conseillante
>> Black plum and raspberry, coffee, and sandalwood. Exotic, long,
>> complex. A-
>>
>> 1982 L’Evangile
>> Wowsa showing, black cherry and cassis, cigarbox, leather, great
>> texture, long finish. A-/A
>>
>> 1982 Haut-Bailly
>> I liked this more than some. If you are looking for a lush opulent
>> ‘82, not for you. But this is classic Graves, red and black fruits,
>> tobacco, snappy acids, fine tannins.  B+
>>
>> 1982 Cos d’Estournel
>> Cassis, a little mint , touch of barnyard. Perfectly fine wine but to
>> me lacking the interest and complexity of the other ‘82s. B
>>
>> 1982 Calon SegurI also liked this more than some. Black cherry, soil
>> tones, a little animal note. Nice length, good complexity on finish.  B+
>>

>> 1982 Leoville Las Cases
>> I’m not biggest LLC fan, but this is an excellent (young) wine.
>> Cassis accented with black plum, espresso, tobacco  A-/B+
>>
>> I just realized I didn’t take a note on a port that went around, I
>> believe ‘91 Fonseca. I was just spitting at this point, remember big
>> figgy flavors and some (expected) heat, but don’t really have a take
>> on it (and I’m certainly no port expert).
>>
>> Really fun night with excellent wines and company.
>>
>>   Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
>> excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I
>> wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
>> offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
>> consistency.

Re: TN: 82 & 86 Bdx, plus Vilmart

<9b078e7b-82b3-49b9-926b-31a4252035a9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=634&group=alt.food.wine#634

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:18:43 -0800 (PST)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:18 UTC

Very interesting report (with a lot of history). Good points about storage 40 years ago as well. Thanks for the link!