Waste not fresh tears over old griefs. -- Euripides

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: planted a few things today

SubjectAuthor
* planted a few things todaysongbird
+* Re: planted a few things todayDan Purgert
|`- Re: planted a few things todaysongbird
`* Re: planted a few things todayfos
 `* Re: planted a few things todaysongbird
  `* Re: planted a few things todayfos
   `- Re: planted a few things todaysongbird

1
planted a few things today

<ni4eij-nbb.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=630&group=rec.gardens.edible#630

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: planted a few things today
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 22:00:23 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 5 May 2023 02:00 UTC

at last.

peas i'm not worried about some cold giving them problems.
the beans i just planted have done ok the past few years
planted two weeks earlier than now, but this has been a
cold spell enough that i held off.

we'll see if i can manage to get these beans to survive
and give me an early crop.

songbird

Re: planted a few things today

<slrnu59lvi.t5.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=631&group=rec.gardens.edible#631

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: planted a few things today
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:17:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 5 May 2023 10:17 UTC

On 2023-05-05, songbird wrote:
> at last.
>
> peas i'm not worried about some cold giving them problems.
> the beans i just planted have done ok the past few years
> planted two weeks earlier than now, but this has been a
> cold spell enough that i held off.

Yeah, the chill is a bit odd. It is "just the beginning of May" and
all, but the mild/hard frosts we got out of nowhere were a bit
concerning (I mean, okay, yes I am playing the odds, since technically
my 90% last frost date is, well, this coming Monday).

It's interesting digging into the USDA maps, less than 10 minutes north
or west, and I'd be out in 6a, but there's like a valley here of 5b,
with a little touch of 5a right in the middle, as you head east (again,
probably about 15 minutes).

> we'll see if i can manage to get these beans to survive
> and give me an early crop.

Just had to replant mine (they're in containers though). 2/3 never
sprouted, and the one that did got murdered by inquiring fingers (or pet
noses). Hopefully this batch planted the 24th(ish) fares better :).

Sowed a few carrots at the same time in some extra pots, which thanks to
being inside are now beating out the ones sown in the actual garden
beds!

--
|_|O|_|

Re: planted a few things today

<l97fij-ul2.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=634&group=rec.gardens.edible#634

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 07:52:53 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 5 May 2023 11:52 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-05-05, songbird wrote:
>> at last.
>>
>> peas i'm not worried about some cold giving them problems.
>> the beans i just planted have done ok the past few years
>> planted two weeks earlier than now, but this has been a
>> cold spell enough that i held off.
>
> Yeah, the chill is a bit odd. It is "just the beginning of May" and
> all, but the mild/hard frosts we got out of nowhere were a bit
> concerning (I mean, okay, yes I am playing the odds, since technically
> my 90% last frost date is, well, this coming Monday).
>
> It's interesting digging into the USDA maps, less than 10 minutes north
> or west, and I'd be out in 6a, but there's like a valley here of 5b,
> with a little touch of 5a right in the middle, as you head east (again,
> probably about 15 minutes).

i'm in a local low spot where frosts and fogs can settle
out so i do not go by the weather forecast (because it is
often wrong) especially for frost or fog warnings.

it sounds like we have nearly the same kind of climate
because we're often on the edge of things here too for
the weather/temperatures.

when it comes down to rains/precipitation i can also
rarely count on the forecasts to be right. instead i
have to watch the radar to see what might be coming
and then go from there. because of the large valley
here it can happen quite often that smaller storms
coming at us will peter out once they hit the valley.
i remember one summer dry spell i counted a few
dozen small storms that faded out or split to go
around us (and then i stopped looking at the weather
because it was so depressing).

>> we'll see if i can manage to get these beans to survive
>> and give me an early crop.
>
> Just had to replant mine (they're in containers though). 2/3 never
> sprouted, and the one that did got murdered by inquiring fingers (or pet
> noses). Hopefully this batch planted the 24th(ish) fares better :).
>

> Sowed a few carrots at the same time in some extra pots, which thanks to
> being inside are now beating out the ones sown in the actual garden
> beds!

i hope they'll grow!

songbird

Re: planted a few things today

<slrnu6crt1.neb.fos@ma.sdf.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=641&group=rec.gardens.edible#641

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34:09 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34 UTC

On 2023-05-05, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> at last.

> peas i'm not worried about some cold giving them problems.
> the beans i just planted have done ok the past few years
> planted two weeks earlier than now, but this has been a
> cold spell enough that i held off.

> we'll see if i can manage to get these beans to survive
> and give me an early crop.

cauliflower, broccoli, kale, carrots, and brussels sprouts seeds went
in the soil a cuople weeks ago. got some sprouts of everything despite
the squirrels rearranging my nice straight rows, the lack of rain, and
really cool to cold nights.

planted asparagus crowns in whisky barrels last year. had a very warm
snap for a week around easter and it took off. harvested twice off each
crown and am letting them grow now. picked up two more (half) barrels
and a pkg of crowns yesterday. is one of this weekends projects.

garlic is doing amazing. only 7 of 120 cloves planted didn't grow and
most of the stalks are already bigger than the largest half dozen we
had last year.

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Re: planted a few things today

<kolijj-qq7.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=642&group=rec.gardens.edible#642

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34:28 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 18 May 2023 22:34 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> cauliflower, broccoli, kale, carrots, and brussels sprouts seeds went
> in the soil a cuople weeks ago. got some sprouts of everything despite
> the squirrels rearranging my nice straight rows, the lack of rain, and
> really cool to cold nights.

yes, we just had a frost last night but i'm hoping it is
the last. aforementioned peas and beans did sprout and
are growing but i covered the beans last night due to frost
warning and they're still alive today. no more frosts in
the forecast for this coming week.

those are all cool weather crops so they should be ok.

> planted asparagus crowns in whisky barrels last year. had a very warm
> snap for a week around easter and it took off. harvested twice off each
> crown and am letting them grow now. picked up two more (half) barrels
> and a pkg of crowns yesterday. is one of this weekends projects.

were they pretty large crowns? that sounds a bit heavy
on the harvest, but i hope they'll be ok. :)

> garlic is doing amazing. only 7 of 120 cloves planted didn't grow and
> most of the stalks are already bigger than the largest half dozen we
> had last year.

it has been really dry here so i've had to water anything
i expect to be sprouting or growing much including the garlic.
it looks to be doing ok. i hope the forecast for rains
tomorrow holds.

songbird

Re: planted a few things today

<slrnu6n3p8.1co.fos@ma.sdf.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=655&group=rec.gardens.edible#655

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:50:00 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Mon, 22 May 2023 15:50 UTC

On 2023-05-18, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> fos@sdf.org wrote:
>> cauliflower, broccoli, kale, carrots, and brussels sprouts seeds went
>> in the soil a cuople weeks ago. got some sprouts of everything despite
>> the squirrels rearranging my nice straight rows, the lack of rain, and
>> really cool to cold nights.

> yes, we just had a frost last night but i'm hoping it is
> the last. aforementioned peas and beans did sprout and
> are growing but i covered the beans last night due to frost
> warning and they're still alive today. no more frosts in
> the forecast for this coming week.

> those are all cool weather crops so they should be ok.

we had one frost last week and i didn't cover anything. all cool weather
plants. i never planted vegetables outdoors that early and took a chance.
got lucky i guess.

>> planted asparagus crowns in whisky barrels last year. had a very warm
>> snap for a week around easter and it took off. harvested twice off each
>> crown and am letting them grow now. picked up two more (half) barrels
>> and a pkg of crowns yesterday. is one of this weekends projects.

> were they pretty large crowns? that sounds a bit heavy
> on the harvest, but i hope they'll be ok. :)

last year was the first time i even seen an asparagus crown so i
wouldn't know small from large i think. bought them in two three
packs. the ones i bought last week were in a ten pack. i have them
resting covered in damp peat moss at the moment. the largest in that
pack as not as large as last year and the smallest are what i'll say
tiny. by the end of this three day weekend i'll have them planted in the
new barrels.

the two barrels i set up last year were at opposite ends of the garden.
the west side of the garden gets hammered by wind, the east side is more
protected. the asparagus in the barrel on the west side didn't do as good
as the the other side.

we harvested once from the "weaker" plants and twice from the larger
ones. all crowns are growing at least several stalks.

>> garlic is doing amazing. only 7 of 120 cloves planted didn't grow and
>> most of the stalks are already bigger than the largest half dozen we
>> had last year.

> it has been really dry here so i've had to water anything
> i expect to be sprouting or growing much including the garlic.
> it looks to be doing ok. i hope the forecast for rains
> tomorrow holds.

i've been watering daily for weeks to keep the seeds moist. saturdays
rain was very welcome. the garlic i've taken your advice about not letting
it dry out. am growing grass too so there's that. once the veggies are
taking off we'll be working on planting a natural & native habitat. we
just planted flowers in seven hanging pots with a couple more still go.
i'm working on being smarter and more miserly with water usage, i think
we're over watering our very well draining gardens. the 12-14 thousand
gallon per quarter twice a year water and sewer bills are nearly twice
what we use in the winter. :)

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Re: planted a few things today

<86tujj-f88.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=659&group=rec.gardens.edible#659

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 09:54:48 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 23 May 2023 13:54 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> i've been watering daily for weeks to keep the seeds moist. saturdays
> rain was very welcome. the garlic i've taken your advice about not letting
> it dry out. am growing grass too so there's that. once the veggies are
> taking off we'll be working on planting a natural & native habitat. we
> just planted flowers in seven hanging pots with a couple more still go.
> i'm working on being smarter and more miserly with water usage, i think
> we're over watering our very well draining gardens. the 12-14 thousand
> gallon per quarter twice a year water and sewer bills are nearly twice
> what we use in the winter. :)

we're on a well so we pay for the electricity,
well and plumbing and hoses, but not on how much
we use. i try to minimize what we do use because
i don't want to run it dry or have other problems
come up. its pretty deep and relatively good water.

what many people have happen around here when
they put in a well is that they have salt water
which won't work for gardening.

also, if i really wanted to i could pull water
from the large ditches that run through our
property. one is better than the other but i
would also want to test it before i did that
since this is an agricultural area and i don't
want to water my gardens with runoff if it has a
lot of *cides or fertilizers in it (but i don't
think it does as it doesn't get green like the
other ditches do).

not enough rains recently. out to water and
get back to weeding. :)

songbird