Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:45:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: white and red Burg, SC Chard, Pomerols, Goisses
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

With some leftovers, the 2008 Pavelot “les Peuillets” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. Open, red fruited, soem tobacco leaf and sandalwood. Tasty if not super long. Seems to be pretty ready (2008s seem to be all over the place) B

A year or so ago Betsy realized a friend had grown up in the Dutch Reformed community in Grand Rapids, as had her BIL. She decided to set up a dinner, it finally happened Saturday. Some comparisons of their growing up, but conversation was more about music (3 classical musicians and one sound editor at table), but Cathleen and I also talked about wine. All in all a very fun night.

I had miscalculated farmer’s market dates, so menu got some slight twists, and I almost forgot opening nibbles, but managed to get a variety of smoked fish canapes out.

2005 Philipponnat “Clos des Goisses” Brut
Smoky, chalky, nutty. Complex nose, elegant mousse, though not the length of a great vintage. Ready,. B+/A-

First sitdown course was sauteed scallops with orange and puntarelle a la Romano

2021 JC Bachelet Les Macherelles Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Lovely, refined, and vivid, with pear, apple blossoms, and citrus. Plenty of verve. A-

2021 JC Bachelet Les Aubues Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Less refined and less defined than the Chassagne, broader apple fruit. I did like it more with air, but never approached its brother. Still good acids and easy to drink. B

Ming Tsai’s short ribs (star anise, soy, etc) and orzo/cabbage

1985 Latour a Pomerol
Seemed a little tired at first, but picked up steam through night. No blockbuster, but an elegant midweight, with black plum and raspberry, cedar, and espresso. B+

1983 L’Evangile
An old fave, but I thought a bit muted (as did Cathleen). Still, the table seemed to enjoy. But during cleanup I retasted, and became pretty sure it was actually corked. NR

Then a salad and some cheese (Mont St. Francis Capriole, Nancy’s Camembert, Ossau Iraty)
, followed by Cathleen’s carrot/almond cake

2008 Fevre Montee de Tonnere Chablis 1er
Snappy acids, a bit less developed/complex than previous bottle, but still interesting. B+

Oysters, red perch, hakurei turnips, turnip/puntarelle greens, leftover orzo

2012 Mt EdenReserve Chardonnay
Pear, a little citrus, and a light hazelnutty oak note. With air it gets a floral/honeysuckle note. Long finish. B+/A-

Good weekend, before a 7-10 day dry spell.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.