From: tchow12...@yahoo.com (Timothy Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Subject: Best play against fallible humans
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 09:19:22 -0400
 by: Timothy Chow - Tue, 18 May 2021 13:19 UTC

The advertising copy for the latest version of the Komodo chess
engine talks about how it has a Monte Carlo tree search mode that
does better against humans than its standard mode does.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/komodo-dragon-2-is-here

I'm still hoping that an analogous development will happen with
backgammon bots. In chess, apparently switching from alpha-beta
to MCTS was the main trick, and there was no need to train on
human games specifically to understand what kinds of errors humans
make. I suspect that in backgammon, training on human play will
be necessary.

---
Tim Chow