Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:59:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Texier Cote Rotie 1999-2010, plus bubbles and one other CR.
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:59 UTC

A nice crew gathered at John's for a Texier CR tasting. He had a nice spread of cheeses and charcuterie out, and greeted us with the 2010 Ployez-Jacquemart Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut. Delicious, pears and croissant, with apple blossoms and flinty minerality. Fine mousse, long finish. A-

To table

2015 Chambeyron-Manin Cote Brune Cote Rotie
Tiny producer with good rep, but this spoke more of the ripeness of the vintage than CR. Big black fruits dominate, others liked more than I did. B-

2010 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Very young, bright ripe fruit, needs time but will be excellent I think. B+/A-

2007 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Earthy, rich, bright acids, long future ahead but really drinking wonderfully. A-

2005 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Black fruits, a touch of soy, a ferric note. Younger than it’s flightmate (‘04), but a little less interesting to me, B

2004 Texier Cote Rotie VV
First bottle was DOA, second was very mature, but actually wonderfully complex. Dark fruits, pepper, a touch of grilled meat, long fascinating finish. A-

Dremont Ephemere 011 1er Cru Champagne
I believe this is some form of partnership with Savart, but I didn’t care for this. There was a strange note that reminded me of celery seed, then someone said the top/stem of a Driscoll strawberry and I think that nailed. It. C+

2015 Paul Gadiot Precurseur 1er Cru Champagne
(a relative of Ponson, who helped make). Delicious, steely but not austere, crunchy white fruits and elegant mousse. B+/A-

Duck breast with cherry/citrus sauce, green beans, buttered potatoes

2001 Texier Cote Rotie VV
I like this , but it a little volatile. Black cherries and berries, pepper, olive. B/B+

2000 Texier Cote Rotie VV
I think I liked more than others, fully mature , exotic nose with spices and meat, nice length. A-

1999 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Very nice, slightly lifted, more olives and herbs than fruit, but long and complex. A-/B+
NV Gosset 15 Ans de Cave a Minima Brut
2016 disgorgement, late 90s vintages. This is a little less fresh than another bottle, the almond notes more pronounced, very full style, some oxidative notes, room divided on it. I liked didn’t love. B

Very good night with good people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.