From: pss...@optusnet.com.au (Peter Stewart)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Subject: Loomis family
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:35:04 +1100
 by: Peter Stewart - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 22:35 UTC

According to a legend in the family of Mabel Loomis Todd, who had a
double-adulterous affair with Emily Dickinson's brother Austin, her
paternal grandfather Nathan Loomis was a direct descendant of Richard
the Lionheart.

Does anyone know how this fanciful link was supposedly traced?

Peter Stewart

www.avg.com

Re: Loomis family

<3bc16442-4b72-4043-93bc-2df855c39e0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6436&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6436

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:13:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Loomis family
From: taf.medi...@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 23:13 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 2:35:07 PM UTC-8, Peter Stewart wrote:
> According to a legend in the family of Mabel Loomis Todd, who had a
> double-adulterous affair with Emily Dickinson's brother Austin, her
> paternal grandfather Nathan Loomis was a direct descendant of Richard
> the Lionheart.
>
> Does anyone know how this fanciful link was supposedly traced?

I had not seen this specific claim before. The Loomis family by the end of the 19th century had conjured for their immigrant ancestor a bogus gentry connection, thence royalty, but not specifically to Richard I. I have to think this was a secondary embellishment, the specific king chosen for his heroic nature, independent of genealogy, to suit some type of narrative.

taf

Re: Loomis family

<ts4358$qr93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6437&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6437

From: pss...@optusnet.com.au (Peter Stewart)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:29:28 +1100
 by: Peter Stewart - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 00:29 UTC

On 10-Feb-23 10:13 AM, taf wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 2:35:07 PM UTC-8, Peter Stewart wrote:
>> According to a legend in the family of Mabel Loomis Todd, who had a
>> double-adulterous affair with Emily Dickinson's brother Austin, her
>> paternal grandfather Nathan Loomis was a direct descendant of Richard
>> the Lionheart.
>>
>> Does anyone know how this fanciful link was supposedly traced?
>
> I had not seen this specific claim before. The Loomis family by the end of the 19th century had conjured for their immigrant ancestor a bogus gentry connection, thence royalty, but not specifically to Richard I. I have to think this was a secondary embellishment, the specific king chosen for his heroic nature, independent of genealogy, to suit some type of narrative.

Ah, perhaps Mabel invented it herself in order to impress Amherst
society when she first arrived there.

She was an inveterate embellisher - although she never set eyes on Emily
Dickinson until she saw her in an open coffin at her funeral, she
claimed an intimate friendship with her and became the first editor of
those gnomic ditties that somehow still have an embellished reputation
as "great" poetry.

Peter Stewart

www.avg.com