Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 13:33:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Rioja, Pomerol, Prosecco
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:33 UTC

Tuesday we went to Tarrytown for dinner with friends we hadn’t really seen since December. Lovely evening in their apartment with a great view of the lit Tappan Zee bridge. They had out feta/olive and hummus/oyster canapes, and opened the (NV?) Bisol Jeio Prosecco Rose. Strawberry shortcake, rather coarse mousse. I’ve liked other Bisols but this was a little sweet for me, but popular with others. B-/C+

Grill lamb chops, puntarelle alla Romana, green beans with almond, cheesy potatoes
2014 Marques de Murrieta Rioja Ygay Reserva
Black cherries, cigar smoke, and a lot of coconutty oak. I know it’s traditional in Rioja but that American oak note is a bit much for me now, though sure it will integrate. B- for now, B+ potential

1998 Ch. Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
I admit I’m a Pomerol slut, even 3rd tier. Black plum fruit, espresso, leather. This isn’t a particularly powerful Pomerol, but a friendly and elegant midweight with mostly resolved tannins but still some grip.. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.