For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

interests / rec.boats / Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

SubjectAuthor
* Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choicewaynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com
+* Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choicegfretwell
|`* Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choiceMr. Luddite
| +* Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choiceKeyser Söze
| |`* Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choiceMr. Luddite
| | `- Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossibleJustan Ohlphart
| `- Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choicegfretwell
`- Re:Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choiceJustan Ohlphart

1
Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<68965e27-bf15-4c15-ab48-3177b357cb64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6389&group=rec.boats#6389

Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice
From: wayne.be...@gmail.com (waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com)
 by: waynebatrecdotboats@ - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:23 UTC

From Grid News, an interesting analysis:

https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2022/06/16/merrick-garlands-impossible-choice-whether-or-not-to-prosecute-donald-trump

The Jan. 6 committee is making the case that Trump is part of a criminal conspiracy, but there are many things to consider in a case against the former president.

The Jan. 6 committee has started to lay out a made-for-TV case against former president Donald Trump, airing video clips and testimony from some of Trump’s closest confidants about his actions during the riots and efforts to change the 2020 election results.

But the decision on whether to bring actual criminal charges against Trump won’t be made by the committee — it will be up to their most important audience member, Attorney General Merrick Garland.

“It would be unprecedented to have the [Justice Department] from one presidency indicting the defeated opponent and potential repeat opponent of the sitting president,” said former federal prosecutor Samuel Buell. “How do you even conceive of the right way to make that decision as a lawyer?”

Garland will have to weigh if he believes Trump broke the law and if there is a winnable case against him. But he will also need to weigh if prosecuting Trump is the right thing to do.

If the country would be better-served by not prosecuting a former president, Garland has the discretion to not bring the case and pursue a path that is less divisive among the public. If he does press charges, a trial would likely extend two to three years, legal experts say, putting the issue front and center during the 2024 election.

The committee has said it sees evidence that Trump and his associates were part of a “criminal conspiracy.”

“I’d like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity, on the part of Donald Trump or anyone else,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said recently on ABC’s “This Week.” “The rule of law needs to apply equally to everyone.”

But historically, the federal government has avoided bringing such charges against a president. Those in key positions ultimately landed on the side of bringing the country together and moving on.

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<qlfebh5ok8diog57fuf1pq933p1iporldc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6396&group=rec.boats#6396

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:16:02 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 17:16 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:23:36 -0700 (PDT),
"waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com" <wayne.beardsley@gmail.com> wrote:

>From Grid News, an interesting analysis:
>
>https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2022/06/16/merrick-garlands-impossible-choice-whether-or-not-to-prosecute-donald-trump
>
>The Jan. 6 committee is making the case that Trump is part of a criminal conspiracy, but there are many things to consider in a case against the former president.
>
>The Jan. 6 committee has started to lay out a made-for-TV case against former president Donald Trump, airing video clips and testimony from some of Trump’s closest confidants about his actions during the riots and efforts to change the 2020 election results.
>
>But the decision on whether to bring actual criminal charges against Trump won’t be made by the committee — it will be up to their most important audience member, Attorney General Merrick Garland.
>
>“It would be unprecedented to have the [Justice Department] from one presidency indicting the defeated opponent and potential repeat opponent of the sitting president,” said former federal prosecutor Samuel Buell. “How do you even conceive of the right way to make that decision as a lawyer?”
>
>Garland will have to weigh if he believes Trump broke the law and if there is a winnable case against him. But he will also need to weigh if prosecuting Trump is the right thing to do.
>
>If the country would be better-served by not prosecuting a former president, Garland has the discretion to not bring the case and pursue a path that is less divisive among the public. If he does press charges, a trial would likely extend two to three years, legal experts say, putting the issue front and center during the 2024
election.

>The committee has said it sees evidence that Trump and his associates were part of a “criminal conspiracy.”
>
>“I’d like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity, on the part of Donald Trump or anyone else,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said recently on ABC’s “This Week.” “The rule of law needs to apply equally to everyone.”
>
>But historically, the federal government has avoided bringing such charges against a president. Those in key positions ultimately landed on the side of bringing the country together and moving on.

It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million
people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those
charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be
careful what you wish for.
The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers
or simply people who still trust the government. The places where
these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter
what.
OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the
2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.
Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question
he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.
It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.

Re:Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<N9ItK.12324$Me2.3505@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6397&group=rec.boats#6397

From: me...@yourservice.com (Justan Ohlphart)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:07:40 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Justan Ohlphart - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:07 UTC

Wrote in message:r
> From Grid News, an interesting analysis:https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2022/06/16/merrick-garlands-impossible-choice-whether-or-not-to-prosecute-donald-trumpThe Jan. 6 committee is making the case that Trump is part of a criminal conspiracy, but there are many things to consider in a case against the former president.The Jan. 6 committee has started to lay out a made-for-TV case against former president Donald Trump, airing video clips and testimony from some of Trump?s closest confidants about his actions during the riots and efforts to change the 2020 election results.But the decision on whether to bring actual criminal charges against Trump won?t be made by the committee ? it will be up to their most important audience member, Attorney General Merrick Garland.?It would be unprecedented to have the [Justice Department] from one presidency indicting the defeated opponent and potential repeat opponent of the sitting president,? said former federal prosecutor Samuel Buell. ?How do you even conceive of the right way to make that decision as a lawyer??Garland will have to weigh if he believes Trump broke the law and if there is a winnable case against him. But he will also ne
ed to weigh if prosecuting Trump is the right thing to do.If the country would be better-served by not prosecuting a former president, Garland has the discretion to not bring the case and pursue a path that is less divisive among the public. If he does press charges, a trial would likely extend two to three years, legal experts say, putting the issue front and center during the 2024 election.The committee has said it sees evidence that Trump and his associates were part of a ?criminal conspiracy.??I?d like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity, on the part of Donald Trump or anyone else,? Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said recently on ABC?s ?This Week.? ?The rule of law needs to apply equally to everyone.?But historically, the federal government has avoided bringing such charges against a president. Those in key positions ultimately landed on the side of bringing the country together and moving on.

Merrick Garland is bought and paid for. The god ol boy club won't
let him bring charged against Trump.
--
lets go Brandon...

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<6PudnbLLcvB7xSX_nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6427&group=rec.boats#6427

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 09:02:28 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:02 UTC

On 6/25/2022 1:16 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million
> people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those
> charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be
> careful what you wish for.
> The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers
> or simply people who still trust the government. The places where
> these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter
> what.
> OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the
> 2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.
> Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question
> he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.
> It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.

A Trump trial couldn't get through voir dire by 2024.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<t99m72$3tvgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6432&group=rec.boats#6432

From: KeyserS?...@whitehouse.com (Keyser Söze)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 09:16:16 -0400
 by: Keyser Söze - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:16 UTC

On 6/26/22 9:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million
>> people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those
>> charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be
>> careful what you wish for.
>> The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers
>> or simply people who still trust the government.  The places where
>> these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter
>> what.
>> OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the
>> 2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.
>> Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question
>> he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.
>> It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.
>
> A Trump trial couldn't get through voir dire by 2024.

I'm hopeful Trump's 325+ pounds of avoirdupois do him in. It would be a
perfect squelch to his perverted ambitions. I certainly do not want to
see him or any U.S. politician as the subject of an assassination or an
attempted assassination and emerge a martyr.

--
* I just want to find 11,780 votes... *

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<VdGdndhysa5P9iX_nZ2dnUU7-cmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6439&group=rec.boats#6439

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:23:14 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:23 UTC

On 6/26/2022 9:16 AM, Keyser Söze wrote:
> On 6/26/22 9:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
>> On 6/25/2022 1:16 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> election.

>>> It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million
>>> people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those
>>> charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be
>>> careful what you wish for.
>>> The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers
>>> or simply people who still trust the government.  The places where
>>> these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter
>>> what.
>>> OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the
>>> 2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.
>>> Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question
>>> he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.
>>> It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.
>>
>> A Trump trial couldn't get through voir dire by 2024.
>>

> I'm hopeful Trump's 325+ pounds of avoirdupois do him in. It would be a
> perfect squelch to his perverted ambitions. I certainly do not want to
> see him or any U.S. politician as the subject of an assassination or an
> attempted assassination and emerge a martyr.

Personally, I would not like to see him run again and don't
think he will. He'll try to peddle his influence though.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<9p_tK.186239$X_i.51070@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6440&group=rec.boats#6440

From: me...@yourservice.com (Justan Ohlphart)
Subject: Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible
choice
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Justan Ohlphart - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:52 UTC

"Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com> Wrote in message:r
> On 6/26/2022 9:16 AM, Keyser Söze wrote:> On 6/26/22 9:02 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:>> On 6/25/2022 1:16 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:>>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:23:36 -0700 (PDT),>>> "waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com" <wayne.beardsley@gmail.com> wrote:>>>>>>> From Grid News, an interesting analysis:>>>>>>>> https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2022/06/16/merrick-garlands-impossible-choice-whether-or-not-to-prosecute-donald-trump >>>>>>>>>>>> The Jan. 6 committee is making the case that Trump is part of a >>>> criminal conspiracy, but there are many things to consider in a case >>>> against the former president.>>>>>>>> The Jan. 6 committee has started to lay out a made-for-TV case >>>> against former president Donald Trump, airing video clips and >>>> testimony from some of Trump?s closest confidants about his actions >>>> during the riots and efforts to change the 2020 election results.>>>>>>>> But the decision on whether to bring actual criminal charges against >>>> Trump won?t be made by the committee ? it will be up to their most >>>> important audience member, Attorney General Merrick Garland.>>>>>>>> ?It would be unprecedented to have the [Justice Department] from one >>>> presi
dency indicting the defeated opponent and potential repeat >>>> opponent of the sitting president,? said former federal prosecutor >>>> Samuel Buell. ?How do you even conceive of the right way to make >>>> that decision as a lawyer??>>>>>>>> Garland will have to weigh if he believes Trump broke the law and if >>>> there is a winnable case against him. But he will also need to weigh >>>> if prosecuting Trump is the right thing to do.>>>>>>>> If the country would be better-served by not prosecuting a former >>>> president, Garland has the discretion to not bring the case and >>>> pursue a path that is less divisive among the public. If he does >>>> press charges, a trial would likely extend two to three years, legal >>>> experts say, putting the issue front and center during the 2024>>> election.>>>>>>>> The committee has said it sees evidence that Trump and his >>>> associates were part of a ?criminal conspiracy.?>>>>>>>> ?I?d like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible >>>> allegation of criminal activity, on the part of Donald Trump or >>>> anyone else,? Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said recently on ABC?s >>>> ?This Week.? ?The rule of law needs to apply equally to
everyone.?>>>>>>>> But historically, the federal government has avoided bringing such >>>> charges against a president. Those in key positions ultimately >>>> landed on the side of bringing the country together and moving on.>>>>>> It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million>>> people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those>>> charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be>>> careful what you wish for.>>> The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers>>> or simply people who still trust the government. The places where>>> these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter>>> what.>>> OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the>>> 2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.>>> Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question>>> he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.>>> It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.>>>> A Trump trial couldn't get through voir dire by 2024.>>> > I'm hopeful Trump's 325+ pounds of avoirdupois do him in. It would be a > perfect squelch t
o his perverted ambitions. I certainly do not want to > see him or any U.S. politician as the subject of an assassination or an > attempted assassination and emerge a martyr.> Personally, I would not like to see him run again and don'tthink he will. He'll try to peddle his influence though.-- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.https://www.avg.com

He'll keep the Dums guessing right up to the convention where
he'll bow out and support DeSantis. That's my guess.
--
lets go Brandon...

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Whether or not to prosecute Donald Trump - the impossible choice

<rrlibhl9onb2ra23e0r9onr56b55ogtd13@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6472&group=rec.boats#6472

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:11:21 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:11 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 09:02:28 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> It is very likely to elevate Trump's standing among the 74 million
>> people who voted for him in 2020 and even a conviction on those
>> charges would not preclude Trump from running, so you have to be
>> careful what you wish for.
>> The first problem would be finding a dozen people who are not Trumpers
>> or simply people who still trust the government. The places where
>> these acts were committed tend to be red. I see a hung jury no matter
>> what.
>> OTOH I doubt they could work through all the legal motions before the
>> 2024 election anyway, much less actually get to a verdict.
>> Nick Cruz shot up Parkland High School in 2018, there is no question
>> he did it and he still hasn't gone to trial to determine his sentence.
>> It took 3 years to legally determine his guilt and he entered a plea.
>
>A Trump trial couldn't get through voir dire by 2024.

I doubt it would ever make it unless you picked a DC jury.
Unfortunately that is probably where the case would be brought. A case
in Georgia is ridiculous. I was just in Georgia. As soon as you leave
Savannah and Atlanta you are in MTG land.