From: KeyserS?...@whitehouse.com (Keyser Söze)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Subject: Rhode Island responds to Supremes on Firearms...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:01:38 -0400
 by: Keyser Söze - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:01 UTC

Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee (D.) signed a collection of gun bans on
Tuesday.

The package will ban possession of ammunition magazines capable of
holding more than ten rounds, raise the age to legally buy a firearm or
ammunition to 21, and prohibit open carry of rifles and shotguns. McKee,
who sported a shirt for the gun-control group Moms Demand Action during
the signing ceremony, released a statement celebrating the state for
leading the way on gun control in the wake of recent mass shootings.

“Here in Rhode Island, we’re taking meaningful action to address the
scourge of gun violence and keep our residents safe,” McKee said.

The bill does not contain a grandfather clause, so gun owners will not
be allowed to keep any magazine with a capacity over ten rounds. Anyone
who does not turn in or destroy the magazines, which come standard with
most modern firearms, could be subject to prosecution.

McKee was joined by fellow Democrats and gun-control advocates such as
Moms Demand Action co-founder Shannon Watts. In a joint interview with
McKee just before the ceremony, Watts fired a warning shot at
politicians that don’t support new gun measures.

“We are showing that if you do the right thing, we’ll have your back.
But if you do the wrong thing, we’ll have your job,” Watts told ABC 6
WLNE in Providence.

The bill limiting the magazine capacity to only ten rounds drew the most
controversy but still got through the chamber 25-11. The bill initially
failed in a 6-6 vote in the senate judiciary committee, but Senate
Majority Leader Michael McCaffrey (D.) was able to bypass the committee
vote using an emergency procedure, as reported by ABC 6.

While 18-year-olds were previously unable to legally purchase handguns
in the state, the new law will prohibit all legal sales of ammunition or
firearms of any kind to individuals under 21. The law includes
exceptions for police, state marshals, correctional officers,
active-duty military, or National Guard members.

“It’s common sense that we shouldn’t be selling lethal weapons to people
who we’ve decided are not old enough to buy cigarettes or beer,” Senate
Majority Whip Maryellen Goodwin (D.) said.

Rhode Island already prohibited open carry of handguns, but long guns
are now included as well, with some exceptions carved out for hunting.
Additionally, the definition of “rifle” and “shotgun” have been altered
to mirror federal law.

“No one should be walking around our communities with a loaded weapon,”
Representative Leonela Felix (D.) said. “A readily available loaded gun
can too swiftly turn a conflict into a lethal tragedy, ruining the lives
of everyone involved with a single bad decision.”

https://tinyurl.com/2bgkratd

--
* I just want to find 11,780 votes... *

Re: Rhode Island responds to Supremes on Firearms...

<t9cu71$m22c$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6489&group=rec.boats#6489

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Subject: Re: Rhode Island responds to Supremes on Firearms...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:51:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:I/G07kwbHfPIEr7M/3CT5qRPLrg=
 by: Bill - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:51 UTC

Keyser Söze <KeyserSöze@whitehouse.com> wrote:
> Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee (D.) signed a collection of gun bans on
> Tuesday.
>
> The package will ban possession of ammunition magazines capable of
> holding more than ten rounds, raise the age to legally buy a firearm or
> ammunition to 21, and prohibit open carry of rifles and shotguns. McKee,
> who sported a shirt for the gun-control group Moms Demand Action during
> the signing ceremony, released a statement celebrating the state for
> leading the way on gun control in the wake of recent mass shootings.
>
> “Here in Rhode Island, we’re taking meaningful action to address the
> scourge of gun violence and keep our residents safe,” McKee said.
>
> The bill does not contain a grandfather clause, so gun owners will not
> be allowed to keep any magazine with a capacity over ten rounds. Anyone
> who does not turn in or destroy the magazines, which come standard with
> most modern firearms, could be subject to prosecution.
>
> McKee was joined by fellow Democrats and gun-control advocates such as
> Moms Demand Action co-founder Shannon Watts. In a joint interview with
> McKee just before the ceremony, Watts fired a warning shot at
> politicians that don’t support new gun measures.
>
> “We are showing that if you do the right thing, we’ll have your back.
> But if you do the wrong thing, we’ll have your job,” Watts told ABC 6
> WLNE in Providence.
>
> The bill limiting the magazine capacity to only ten rounds drew the most
> controversy but still got through the chamber 25-11. The bill initially
> failed in a 6-6 vote in the senate judiciary committee, but Senate
> Majority Leader Michael McCaffrey (D.) was able to bypass the committee
> vote using an emergency procedure, as reported by ABC 6.
>
> While 18-year-olds were previously unable to legally purchase handguns
> in the state, the new law will prohibit all legal sales of ammunition or
> firearms of any kind to individuals under 21. The law includes
> exceptions for police, state marshals, correctional officers,
> active-duty military, or National Guard members.
>
> “It’s common sense that we shouldn’t be selling lethal weapons to people
> who we’ve decided are not old enough to buy cigarettes or beer,” Senate
> Majority Whip Maryellen Goodwin (D.) said.
>
> Rhode Island already prohibited open carry of handguns, but long guns
> are now included as well, with some exceptions carved out for hunting.
> Additionally, the definition of “rifle” and “shotgun” have been altered
> to mirror federal law.
>
> “No one should be walking around our communities with a loaded weapon,”
> Representative Leonela Felix (D.) said. “A readily available loaded gun
> can too swiftly turn a conflict into a lethal tragedy, ruining the lives
> of everyone involved with a single bad decision.”
>
> https://tinyurl.com/2bgkratd

They are going to have to buy all the now illegal magazines. Otherwise a
prosecution will fail.

Re: Rhode Island responds to Supremes on Firearms...

<160kbhpictieippftjqblg1np3gdttj2ns@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6492&group=rec.boats#6492

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:18:39 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 19:18 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:01:38 -0400, Keyser Söze
<KeyserSöze@whitehouse.com> wrote:

>Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee (D.) signed a collection of gun bans on
>Tuesday.
>
>The package will ban possession of ammunition magazines capable of
>holding more than ten rounds, raise the age to legally buy a firearm or
>ammunition to 21, and prohibit open carry of rifles and shotguns. McKee,
>who sported a shirt for the gun-control group Moms Demand Action during
>the signing ceremony, released a statement celebrating the state for
>leading the way on gun control in the wake of recent mass shootings.
>
>“Here in Rhode Island, we’re taking meaningful action to address the
>scourge of gun violence and keep our residents safe,” McKee said.
>
>The bill does not contain a grandfather clause, so gun owners will not
>be allowed to keep any magazine with a capacity over ten rounds. Anyone
>who does not turn in or destroy the magazines, which come standard with
>most modern firearms, could be subject to prosecution.
>
>McKee was joined by fellow Democrats and gun-control advocates such as
>Moms Demand Action co-founder Shannon Watts. In a joint interview with
>McKee just before the ceremony, Watts fired a warning shot at
>politicians that don’t support new gun measures.
>
>“We are showing that if you do the right thing, we’ll have your back.
>But if you do the wrong thing, we’ll have your job,” Watts told ABC 6
>WLNE in Providence.
>
>The bill limiting the magazine capacity to only ten rounds drew the most
>controversy but still got through the chamber 25-11. The bill initially
>failed in a 6-6 vote in the senate judiciary committee, but Senate
>Majority Leader Michael McCaffrey (D.) was able to bypass the committee
>vote using an emergency procedure, as reported by ABC 6.
>
>While 18-year-olds were previously unable to legally purchase handguns
>in the state, the new law will prohibit all legal sales of ammunition or
>firearms of any kind to individuals under 21. The law includes
>exceptions for police, state marshals, correctional officers,
>active-duty military, or National Guard members.
>
>“It’s common sense that we shouldn’t be selling lethal weapons to people
>who we’ve decided are not old enough to buy cigarettes or beer,” Senate
>Majority Whip Maryellen Goodwin (D.) said.
>
>Rhode Island already prohibited open carry of handguns, but long guns
>are now included as well, with some exceptions carved out for hunting.
>Additionally, the definition of “rifle” and “shotgun” have been altered
>to mirror federal law.
>
>“No one should be walking around our communities with a loaded weapon,”
>Representative Leonela Felix (D.) said. “A readily available loaded gun
>can too swiftly turn a conflict into a lethal tragedy, ruining the lives
>of everyone involved with a single bad decision.”
>
>https://tinyurl.com/2bgkratd

This won't last long. It is clearly a 5th amendment "taking" and they
will be required to provide "just compensation" for any magazines or
guns that are outlawed.
It is also "ex post facto" legislation.
It really looks like they are just trolling for another SCOTUS
decision they can be pissed about. Has anyone actually analyzed how
much Dobbs and NYSRPC actually cost the tax payer? Lawyers ain't
cheap.
I don't see it affecting "mass shootings" at all. Most of them are gun
fights between street gangs and based on illegal activity to begin
with.

Re: Rhode Island responds to Supremes on Firearms...

<si7nbh1haba4oaqi9bl6tm35l224t426s3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6514&group=rec.boats#6514

From: salmonb...@gmail.com (John)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 17:36:01 -0700
 by: John - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 00:36 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:18:39 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
>>Representative Leonela Felix (D.) said. “A readily available loaded gun
>>can too swiftly turn a conflict into a lethal tragedy, ruining the lives
>>of everyone involved with a single bad decision.”
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/2bgkratd
>
>This won't last long. It is clearly a 5th amendment "taking" and they
>will be required to provide "just compensation" for any magazines or
>guns that are outlawed.
>It is also "ex post facto" legislation.
>It really looks like they are just trolling for another SCOTUS
>decision they can be pissed about. Has anyone actually analyzed how
>much Dobbs and NYSRPC actually cost the tax payer? Lawyers ain't
>cheap.
>I don't see it affecting "mass shootings" at all. Most of them are gun
>fights between street gangs and based on illegal activity to begin

I agree that you're fucking stupid.