No two persons ever read the same book. -- Edmund Wilson

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Seeds in!

SubjectAuthor
* Seeds in!T
+* Re: Seeds in!T
|`* Re: Seeds in!Snag
| `- Re: Seeds in!T
+* Re: Seeds in!Snag
|`* Re: Seeds in!T
| `* Re: Seeds in!Snag
|  `* Re: Seeds in!T
|   `- Re: Seeds in!Snag
+* Re: Seeds in!songbird
|`- Re: Seeds in!T
`* Re: Seeds in!T
 `* Re: Seeds in!T
  `* Re: Seeds in!Snag
   `- Re: Seeds in!T

1
Seeds in!

<u4dutg$1ocqb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=644&group=rec.gardens.edible#644

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Seeds in!
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:28:32 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:28 UTC

Hi All,

Tuesday, I spent nine hours cleaning out wees and two hours planting
seeds. I am still soar! But Since Herbal medicinae is one of my
hobbies, I hit the BF&D (bone, flesh , and cartilage) pretty hard and
most of the soreness is down.

We are not suppose to plant to the first week in June, due to the random
freezes, but we are having a hot spell (80F day and 50 night), so I took
the risk and planted anyway.

I have terrible luck with tiny seeds. But I took the risk
and planted two types of onions, eggplant, and tomatillos which have
tiny seeds. After June I can not get ANYTHING
to sprout up. I presume it is the heat cooking them in
the soil, but I do not know. It could be the earwigs eating them too.

So now I wait and wonder if anything will sprout. Oh, and complain
about the feed hurting, my back hurting, my legs hurting, yada, yada,
yada...

And how the hell did my head get sunburned whilst
wearing this hat !?!?!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GG1X3M

Most of the seeds went in in the dark. I had
to switch my headlamp to Red and the bugs
attached me with white. Gave me a start when
some of the seed packed in white paper envelopes
and white seeds. The seed disappeared under
red light. I thought they had shipped me an
empty packet. Temporarily switching back
to white light solved that issue.

The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
PATIENCE!!!!

Re: Seeds in!

<u4e52u$1pt3i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=645&group=rec.gardens.edible#645

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Seeds in!
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 15:13:50 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 21 May 2023 22:13 UTC

On 5/21/23 13:28, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Tuesday, I spent nine hours cleaning out wees and two hours planting
> seeds.  I am still soar!  But Since Herbal medicinae is one of my
> hobbies, I hit the BF&D (bone, flesh , and cartilage) pretty hard and
> most of the soreness is down.
>
> We are not suppose to plant to the first week in June, due to the random
> freezes, but we are having a hot spell (80F day and 50 night), so I took
> the risk and planted anyway.
>
> I have terrible luck with tiny seeds.  But I took the risk
> and planted two types of onions, eggplant, and tomatillos which have
> tiny seeds.  After June I can not get ANYTHING
> to sprout up.  I presume it is the heat cooking them in
> the soil, but I do not know.  It could be the earwigs eating them too.
>
> So now I wait and wonder if anything will sprout.  Oh, and complain
> about the feed hurting, my back hurting, my legs hurting, yada, yada,
> yada...
>

> And how the hell did my head get sunburned whilst
> wearing this hat !?!?!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GG1X3M
>
> Most of the seeds went in in the dark.  I had
> to switch my headlamp to Red and the bugs
> attached me with white.  Gave me a start when
> some of the seed packed in white paper envelopes
> and white seeds.  The seed disappeared under
> red light.  I thought they had shipped me an
> empty packet.  Temporarily switching  back
> to white light solved that issue.
>
> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
> PATIENCE!!!!

And I have been watering the tiny sees every
day since. But today we are having a
thunderstorm, so I get to skip out.
I love thunderstorms, fertilizer from the
sky (electricity + nitrogen + rain)

Re: Seeds in!

<u4e7qq$1qcu7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=646&group=rec.gardens.edible#646

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 18:00:42 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 21 May 2023 23:00 UTC

On 5/21/2023 3:28 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Tuesday, I spent nine hours cleaning out wees and two hours planting
> seeds.  I am still soar!  But Since Herbal medicinae is one of my
> hobbies, I hit the BF&D (bone, flesh , and cartilage) pretty hard and
> most of the soreness is down.
>
> We are not suppose to plant to the first week in June, due to the random
> freezes, but we are having a hot spell (80F day and 50 night), so I took
> the risk and planted anyway.
>
> I have terrible luck with tiny seeds.  But I took the risk
> and planted two types of onions, eggplant, and tomatillos which have
> tiny seeds.  After June I can not get ANYTHING
> to sprout up.  I presume it is the heat cooking them in
> the soil, but I do not know.  It could be the earwigs eating them too.
>
> So now I wait and wonder if anything will sprout.  Oh, and complain
> about the feed hurting, my back hurting, my legs hurting, yada, yada,
> yada...
>

> And how the hell did my head get sunburned whilst
> wearing this hat !?!?!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GG1X3M
>
> Most of the seeds went in in the dark.  I had
> to switch my headlamp to Red and the bugs
> attached me with white.  Gave me a start when
> some of the seed packed in white paper envelopes
> and white seeds.  The seed disappeared under
> red light.  I thought they had shipped me an
> empty packet.  Temporarily switching  back
> to white light solved that issue.
>
> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
> PATIENCE!!!!

Why didn't you start stuff indoors ? I know our last-frost date here
is earlier than yours , but if you had started 'maters an' peppers , an'
other stuff back in March (late Feb here) you'd be set to rock-n-roll
now . I even started my squashes in trays just to get a jump-start on
the harvest .
Some of my tomatoes are over a foot tall now ...'taters are the same .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Seeds in!

<u4e7vm$1qcu7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=647&group=rec.gardens.edible#647

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 18:03:19 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 21 May 2023 23:03 UTC

On 5/21/2023 5:13 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/21/23 13:28, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Tuesday, I spent nine hours cleaning out wees and two hours planting
>> seeds.  I am still soar!  But Since Herbal medicinae is one of my
>> hobbies, I hit the BF&D (bone, flesh , and cartilage) pretty hard and
>> most of the soreness is down.
>>
>> We are not suppose to plant to the first week in June, due to the
>> random freezes, but we are having a hot spell (80F day and 50 night),
>> so I took the risk and planted anyway.
>>
>> I have terrible luck with tiny seeds.  But I took the risk
>> and planted two types of onions, eggplant, and tomatillos which have
>> tiny seeds.  After June I can not get ANYTHING
>> to sprout up.  I presume it is the heat cooking them in
>> the soil, but I do not know.  It could be the earwigs eating them too.
>>
>> So now I wait and wonder if anything will sprout.  Oh, and complain
>> about the feed hurting, my back hurting, my legs hurting, yada, yada,
>> yada...
>>

>> And how the hell did my head get sunburned whilst
>> wearing this hat !?!?!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GG1X3M
>>
>> Most of the seeds went in in the dark.  I had
>> to switch my headlamp to Red and the bugs
>> attached me with white.  Gave me a start when
>> some of the seed packed in white paper envelopes
>> and white seeds.  The seed disappeared under
>> red light.  I thought they had shipped me an
>> empty packet.  Temporarily switching  back
>> to white light solved that issue.
>>
>> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
>> PATIENCE!!!!
>>

> And I have been watering the tiny sees every
> day since.  But today we are having a
> thunderstorm, so I get to skip out.
>
> I love  thunderstorms, fertilizer from the
> sky (electricity + nitrogen + rain)

I was just looking at electroculture ... I decided it might be
difficult to implement in a plot that's 25 x 40 without having a
"material impact" on my electricity bill .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Seeds in!

<rnlqjj-129.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=648&group=rec.gardens.edible#648

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 19:23:07 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 21 May 2023 23:23 UTC

T wrote:
> I have terrible luck with tiny seeds. But I took the risk
> and planted two types of onions,

in sandy or more mineral soils it might be
really hard to keep the adequately moist.

watering once a day may not be enough in
any kind of heat. and i don't mean super
soggy watering, but just enough to keep them
more uniformly moist.

songbird

Re: Seeds in!

<u4eccn$1r9fp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=649&group=rec.gardens.edible#649

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:18:31 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 22 May 2023 00:18 UTC

On 5/21/23 16:03, Snag wrote:
>   I was just looking at electroculture ... I decided it might be
> difficult to implement in a plot that's 25 x 40 without having a
> "material impact" on my electricity bill .
Made me look it up!
https://search.brave.com/search?q=electroculture&source=web
Summarizer
Electroculture gardening is a method of plant cultivation that uses
electrical currents to promote plant development and boost output.1 It
involves wrapping wooden dowels in copper wire and sticking them into
the dirt near the garden.0 While it is relatively new and little
recognized, it has recently become more popular among gardeners and
academics.1 However, a gardening Instagrammer, Kevin, has recently
criticized this gardening fad as a foolish gardening fad.

Re: Seeds in!

<u4ecdr$1r9fp$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=650&group=rec.gardens.edible#650

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:19:07 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 22 May 2023 00:19 UTC

On 5/21/23 16:00, Snag wrote:
> Why didn't you start stuff indoors ?

My wife is violently allergic to the mold in dirt

Re: Seeds in!

<u4ech0$1r9fp$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=651&group=rec.gardens.edible#651

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:20:48 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 22 May 2023 00:20 UTC

On 5/21/23 16:23, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> I have terrible luck with tiny seeds. But I took the risk
>> and planted two types of onions,
>
> in sandy or more mineral soils it might be
> really hard to keep the adequately moist.
>
> watering once a day may not be enough in
> any kind of heat. and i don't mean super
> soggy watering, but just enough to keep them
> more uniformly moist.
>

> songbird

My ground pots are mostly peat moss.

And they show the wet stain the next day,
so I "hope" I have it in hand! We will
see....

Re: Seeds in!

<u4ehki$205c1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=652&group=rec.gardens.edible#652

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 20:47:59 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 22 May 2023 01:47 UTC

On 5/21/2023 7:19 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/21/23 16:00, Snag wrote:
>> Why didn't you start stuff indoors ?
>
> My wife is violently allergic to the mold in dirt

That has got to put a major crimp on cultivation of any sort since
your growing season is shorter . Any way you could do an attached (to
the outside of the house) small hotbox for starting seedlings ? Attached
to the south side , being attached it draws some heat from the house .
We're ahead of y'all here , I've got 'maters a foot tall already . I did
start mine inside , end of February . Since my corn came up spotty - old
seed - I planted some red ripper and purple hull field peas in the gaps
in the corn rows today . Right after I built 40 feet of (wire and
string) trellis for the green beans since they have started running .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Seeds in!

<u4epde$21itu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=653&group=rec.gardens.edible#653

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:00:46 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 22 May 2023 04:00 UTC

On 5/21/23 18:47, Snag wrote:
> On 5/21/2023 7:19 PM, T wrote:
>> On 5/21/23 16:00, Snag wrote:
>>> Why didn't you start stuff indoors ?
>>
>> My wife is violently allergic to the mold in dirt
>
>   That has got to put a major crimp on cultivation of any sort since
> your growing season is shorter . Any way you could do an attached (to
> the outside of the house) small hotbox for starting seedlings ? Attached
> to the south side , being attached it draws some heat from the house .
> We're ahead of y'all here , I've got 'maters a foot tall already . I did
> start mine inside , end of February . Since my corn came up spotty - old
> seed - I planted some red ripper and purple hull field peas in the gaps
> in the corn rows today . Right after I built 40 feet of (wire and
> string) trellis for the green beans since they have started running .

I have though of one of those sprouting tables on wheels
with their own blue/red led lamps for the garage. But
I have not gone that much further.
I'd love a green house, but maybe in my next life
I could afford one.
What is a hot box? Can it survive freazing cold weather?

Re: Seeds in!

<u4er3e$223e1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=654&group=rec.gardens.edible#654

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 23:29:35 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 22 May 2023 04:29 UTC

On 5/21/2023 11:00 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/21/23 18:47, Snag wrote:
>>>
>>> My wife is violently allergic to the mold in dirt
>>
>>    That has got to put a major crimp on cultivation of any sort since
>> your growing season is shorter . Any way you could do an attached (to
>> the outside of the house) small hotbox for starting seedlings ?
>> Attached to the south side , being attached it draws some heat from
>> the house . We're ahead of y'all here , I've got 'maters a foot tall
>> already . I did start mine inside , end of February . Since my corn
>> came up spotty - old seed - I planted some red ripper and purple hull
>> field peas in the gaps in the corn rows today . Right after I built 40
>> feet of (wire and string) trellis for the green beans since they have
>> started running .
>

> I have though of one of those sprouting tables on wheels
> with their own blue/red led lamps for the garage.  But
> I have not gone that much further.
>
> I'd love a green house, but maybe in my next life
> I could afford one.
>
> What is a hot box?  Can it survive freazing cold weather?

Some people call them cold frames . Premise is to keep the temps
inside above freezing . Basically a box with a glass top , inside
painted black to gain heat from the sun . Recess into the ground and it
will help keep temps up - assuming the soil isn't frozen .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Seeds in!

<u4jsu4$2ru2l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=660&group=rec.gardens.edible#660

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 19:31:32 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 24 May 2023 02:31 UTC

On 5/21/23 13:28, T wrote:

> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
> PATIENCE!!!!

One week now and still no sprouts. This
patience thing sucks!

Re: Seeds in!

<u50fun$10s8b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=671&group=rec.gardens.edible#671

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 14:09:43 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 28 May 2023 21:09 UTC

On 5/23/23 19:31, T wrote:
> On 5/21/23 13:28, T wrote:
>
>> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
>> PATIENCE!!!!
>
> One week now and still no sprouts.  This
> patience thing sucks!

Twelve days in and I have sprouts! Dicots (zuchini,
cucumbers, tomatillos) and monocots (white and bunching
onions)!
The dicot sprouts in the eggplant section might be
weeds though.
If this actually works out, I will have saved a
ton of money not having to buy plants at the green
house (wally world).
Oh and my bilberry bushes, now four years old,
have had a massive growth spurt and have a bazillion
immature lowers on them! They got a lot of water too.
Odd the three cherry tomato plants I did buy at the
nursery have a few flowers on them and they are not
even five inches tall yet. They look happy with all the water.
Thunderstorms are forecast again today. I good
drenching with sky Nitrogen water and I don't
have to go out and water today. Love the way
things grow after a good thunder storm. Well
except the weeds.

Whoever told me to water the daylights out of
the seeds, snag I think, was spot on. Thank you!

Re: Seeds in!

<u50t5t$13qsp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=674&group=rec.gardens.edible#674

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 19:55:25 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 29 May 2023 00:55 UTC

On 5/28/2023 4:09 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/23/23 19:31, T wrote:
>> On 5/21/23 13:28, T wrote:
>>
>>> The waiting on the sprouting is driving me nuts.
>>> PATIENCE!!!!
>>
>> One week now and still no sprouts.  This
>> patience thing sucks!
>>

> Twelve days in and I have sprouts!  Dicots (zuchini,
> cucumbers, tomatillos) and monocots (white and bunching
> onions)!
>
> The dicot sprouts in the eggplant section might be
> weeds though.
>
> If this actually works out, I will have saved a
> ton of money not having to buy plants at the green
> house (wally world).
>
> Oh and my bilberry bushes, now four years old,
> have had a massive growth spurt and have a bazillion
> immature lowers on them!  They got a lot of water too.
>
> Odd the three cherry tomato plants I did buy at the
> nursery have a few flowers on them and they are not
> even five inches tall yet.  They look happy with all the water.
>
> Thunderstorms are forecast again today. I good
> drenching with sky Nitrogen water and I don't
> have to go out and water today.  Love the way
> things grow after a good thunder storm.  Well
> except the weeds.
>

> Whoever told me to water the daylights out of
> the seeds, snag I think, was spot on.   Thank you!

Nope , it was songbird . Good advice too ! Mine are all well enough
established that they're not as sensitive to water levels . Speaking of
which , I'll post an update on my drip system .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Seeds in!

<u532hv$1kgne$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=680&group=rec.gardens.edible#680

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 13:39:26 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 29 May 2023 20:39 UTC

On 5/28/23 17:55, Snag wrote:
> On 5/28/2023 4:09 PM, T wrote:

>>> One week now and still no sprouts.  This
>>> patience thing sucks!
>>>

>> Twelve days in and I have sprouts!  Dicots (zuchini,
>> cucumbers, tomatillos) and monocots (white and bunching
>> onions)!
>>
>> The dicot sprouts in the eggplant section might be
>> weeds though.
>>
>> If this actually works out, I will have saved a
>> ton of money not having to buy plants at the green
>> house (wally world).
>>
>> Oh and my bilberry bushes, now four years old,
>> have had a massive growth spurt and have a bazillion
>> immature lowers on them!  They got a lot of water too.
>>
>> Odd the three cherry tomato plants I did buy at the
>> nursery have a few flowers on them and they are not
>> even five inches tall yet.  They look happy with all the water.
>>
>> Thunderstorms are forecast again today. I good
>> drenching with sky Nitrogen water and I don't
>> have to go out and water today.  Love the way
>> things grow after a good thunder storm.  Well
>> except the weeds.
>>

>> Whoever told me to water the daylights out of
>> the seeds, snag I think, was spot on.   Thank you!
>>

>   Nope , it was songbird . Good advice too ! Mine are all well enough
> established that they're not as sensitive to water levels . Speaking of
> which , I'll post an update on my drip system .

Found it. It was Mike:
On 8/31/22 20:05, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
> Sounds to me as if they are drying out before they
> germinate. Here I keep > the soil/sand moist,
> watering/misting 2 or 3 times a day until I see
> results and the cut the watering times back
> gradually to once every 2 days but with
> sufficient water to soak deeper. PLUS the
> all important keeping an eye on
> the weather and adjusting accordingly.
>
> Mike
Thank you Mike!