From: emi...@usinternet.com (t400ec)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: a real posting but somewhat off topic
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:39:20 -0600
 by: t400ec - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:39 UTC

An Irishman goes to a building site in London and
asks the foreman if he can have a job. "Are you
Irish?", said the foreman. "Well sor, that I am",
replied the Irishman. "Well", said the foreman,"l
don't want any more Irish on this site, because they
don't know nuffink. Last week we have one here
who didn't even know the difference between a
girder and a joist. Can you tell me the difference
between girder and joist?" The Irishman thought for
a little while, and then replied, "Well sor, I tink that
Joyce wrote Ulysses and Goethe wrote Faust."

Re: a real posting but somewhat off topic

<uiebi4$16t6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=658&group=alt.language.latin#658

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Re: a real posting but somewhat off topic
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:51:13 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:51 UTC

t400ec wrote:
> An Irishman goes to a building site in London and
> asks the foreman if he can have a job. "Are you
> Irish?", said the foreman. "Well sor, that I am",
> replied the Irishman. "Well", said the foreman,"l
> don't want any more Irish on this site, because they
> don't know nuffink. Last week we have one here
> who didn't even know the difference between a
> girder and a joist. Can you tell me the difference
> between girder and joist?" The Irishman thought for
> a little while, and then replied, "Well sor, I tink that
> Joyce wrote Ulysses and Goethe wrote Faust."

Nice one.

I remember a few years ago telling you that Joyce was all Irish to me;
unlike Greek, which was my cup of tea.
Well, it's still like that. Except that I've come to believe that Joyce
had some insight into western culture beyond my ken.

Back to the Odyssey, and wily Odysseus sitting on the shore and gazing
into the vast ocean, wondering what's out there; dreaming of Penelope.

Yes! Let's go and find it. Let's set sail, past all the monsters and
false promises, and into our dreams.

Ed

Re: a real posting but somewhat off topic

<uiecdb$16t6q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=659&group=alt.language.latin#659

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:02:19 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:02 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> t400ec wrote:
>> An Irishman goes to a building site in London and
>> asks the foreman if he can have a job. "Are you
>> Irish?", said the foreman. "Well sor, that I am",
>> replied the Irishman. "Well", said the foreman,"l
>> don't want any more Irish on this site, because they
>> don't know nuffink. Last week we have one here
>> who didn't even know the difference between a
>> girder and a joist. Can you tell me the difference
>> between girder and joist?" The Irishman thought for
>> a little while, and then replied, "Well sor, I tink that
>> Joyce wrote Ulysses and Goethe wrote Faust."
>
> Nice one.
>
> I remember a few years ago telling you that Joyce was all Irish to me;
> unlike Greek, which was my cup of tea.
> Well, it's still like that. Except that I've come to believe that Joyce
> had some insight into western culture beyond my ken.
>
> Back to the Odyssey, and wily Odysseus sitting on the shore and gazing
> into the vast ocean, wondering what's out there; dreaming of Penelope.
>
> Yes! Let's go and find it. Let's set sail, past all the monsters and
> false promises, and into our dreams.
>
> Ed

however, you have to beware of the Irish curse;
https://tinyurl.com/yl9v2pzn

Ed