From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Spring chores almost finished
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 18:38:26 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 22 May 2023 23:38 UTC

The end is in sight , and soon it'll be just maintaining it all . Got
all but about 10 feet of the new bottom "band" of chicken wire on the
fence . I ran a steel wire this time to anchor the top of the chicken
wire to . Gave me a more uniform space and I can run the bottom electric
wire a lot closer . Should do a better job keeping the rabbits out .
Other than the fence all I have left is a few more strips of black
plastic (between rows) for weed/grass control . The plastic is working
much better than straw mulch did to kill out the grasses , my biggest
nemesis .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Spring chores almost finished

<u4h5tk$2afir$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=657&group=rec.gardens.edible#657

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Spring chores almost finished
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 18:46:28 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 23 May 2023 01:46 UTC

On 5/22/23 16:38, Snag wrote:
>   The end is in sight , and soon it'll be just maintaining it all . Got
> all but about 10 feet of the new bottom "band" of chicken wire on the
> fence . I ran a steel wire this time to anchor the top of the chicken
> wire to . Gave me a more uniform space and I can run the bottom electric
> wire a lot closer . Should do a better job keeping the rabbits out .
>   Other than the fence all I have left is a few more strips of black
> plastic (between rows) for weed/grass control . The plastic is working
> much better than straw mulch did to kill out the grasses , my biggest
> nemesis .
Whould you mind giving some more details on what plastic you used, how
you prepared the ground, how you weighted the plastic down (we have
winds up to 105 MPH at times), etc.?

Re: Spring chores almost finished

<u4hb6q$2ejeu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=658&group=rec.gardens.edible#658

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 22:16:40 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 23 May 2023 03:16 UTC

On 5/22/2023 8:46 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/22/23 16:38, Snag wrote:
>>    The end is in sight , and soon it'll be just maintaining it all .
>> Got all but about 10 feet of the new bottom "band" of chicken wire on
>> the fence . I ran a steel wire this time to anchor the top of the
>> chicken wire to . Gave me a more uniform space and I can run the
>> bottom electric wire a lot closer . Should do a better job keeping the
>> rabbits out .
>>    Other than the fence all I have left is a few more strips of black
>> plastic (between rows) for weed/grass control . The plastic is working
>> much better than straw mulch did to kill out the grasses , my biggest
>> nemesis .
>
> Whould you mind giving some more details on what plastic you used, how
> you prepared the ground, how you weighted the plastic down (we have
> winds up to 105 MPH at times), etc.?

I tilled in some soil amendments per the county extension service
soil analysis then immediately covered it with 4 mil black plastic from
the hardware store . I did a section at a time and did my best to not
step where I planned to plant . Row crops are getting strips , placed
as/after the seeds sprout . I might not put plastic down where I just
planted field peas (red rippers and purple hulls) since they both do an
excellent job of smothering weeds . To keep it all in place I have been
using some of the very numerous rocks that we have here . We don't get
the winds you do , plus our little hollow and lots of trees help buffer
the ground level winds .
Another benefit to using plastic is that it keeps evaporation losses
down , minimizing water consumption . I've modified my watering system
for this year . I have the drip system installed and functional but
right now I'm using an oscillating sprinkler - wherever the water
puddles I'm poking small holes in the plastic to let the water seep into
the soil . Both are fed from our well .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts
but you can't make him think."

Re: Spring chores almost finished

<u4k0nk$2s8gg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=661&group=rec.gardens.edible#661

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 20:36:20 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:36 UTC

On 5/22/23 20:16, Snag wrote:
> On 5/22/2023 8:46 PM, T wrote:
>> On 5/22/23 16:38, Snag wrote:
>>>    The end is in sight , and soon it'll be just maintaining it all .
>>> Got all but about 10 feet of the new bottom "band" of chicken wire on
>>> the fence . I ran a steel wire this time to anchor the top of the
>>> chicken wire to . Gave me a more uniform space and I can run the
>>> bottom electric wire a lot closer . Should do a better job keeping
>>> the rabbits out .
>>>    Other than the fence all I have left is a few more strips of black
>>> plastic (between rows) for weed/grass control . The plastic is
>>> working much better than straw mulch did to kill out the grasses , my
>>> biggest nemesis .
>>
>> Whould you mind giving some more details on what plastic you used, how
>> you prepared the ground, how you weighted the plastic down (we have
>> winds up to 105 MPH at times), etc.?
>
>   I tilled in some soil amendments per the county extension service
> soil analysis then immediately covered it with 4 mil black plastic from
> the hardware store . I did a section at a time and did my best to not
> step where I planned to plant . Row crops are getting strips , placed
> as/after the seeds sprout . I might not put plastic down where I just
> planted field peas (red rippers and purple hulls) since they both do an
> excellent job of smothering weeds . To keep it all in place I have been
> using some of the very numerous rocks that we have here . We don't get
> the winds you do , plus our little hollow and lots of trees help buffer
> the ground level winds .
>   Another benefit to using plastic is that it keeps evaporation losses
> down , minimizing water consumption . I've modified my watering system
> for this year . I have the drip system installed and functional but
> right now I'm using an oscillating sprinkler - wherever the water
> puddles I'm poking small holes in the plastic to let the water seep into
> the soil  . Both are fed from our well .

Thank you!