Language is a virus from another planet. -- William Burroughs

interests / rec.puzzles.crosswords / Re: CalculaTrivia?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: CalculaTrivia?Marik Chrisman
`- Re: CalculaTrivia?Ryan Teschke

1
Re: CalculaTrivia?

<a2eed334-08a7-454b-bae4-61e0a63893f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=667&group=rec.puzzles.crosswords#667

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles.crosswords
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 14:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: CalculaTrivia?
From: marikchr...@gmail.com (Marik Chrisman)
 by: Marik Chrisman - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 21:25 UTC

On Sunday, January 29, 1995 at 5:33:02 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> > > The Net? Sounds like cheating to me.
> >
> > In what way? Team solving is certainly not cheating, and I use every
> > reference at my disposal to solve. The first time I was shocked to
> > find that many solvers had made calls to assorted experts, etc., but
> > that is a part of the game.
> Yes it is; I shouldn't have said "cheating", which would imply a
> violation of contest rules. What really concerns me is violation of
> netiquette. In past Games contests, we have seen things like:
> From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> Newsgroups: sci.math
> Subject: dodecahedron
> From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
> Subject: Jimmy Stewart
> From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> Newsgroups: sci.astro,alt.science.planetary
> Subject: Saturn's moons
> How many moons does Saturn have? Thanks.
> I'd like to think that solving a Calculatrivia should require a bit more
> work than identifying 40 newsgroups to post to, and that was why my first
> reaction was to call this sort of thing cheating. With messages of the
> sort illustrated above -- and they truly are representation of some that
> we've seen -- I think it's reasonable to call them abuse of Usenet, since
> they conceal the poster's intent to profit monetarily by the answer.
> If people are honest about what they're doing, that's different. And if
> the intent was not to refer to Usenet postings, *that's* different.
> May I suggest that further discussion migrate (with sufficient context)
> to rec.puzzles?
> ObCrossword:
> Unwieldy prize using electric power (7)
>
> AWKWARD (AWARD + KW)
> --
> Mark Brader, m...@sq.com | "Where is down special?" ... "Good."
> SoftQuad Inc., Toronto | "Do you refuse to answer my question?" "Don't know."
> This article is in the public domain.

Will Shortz killed Eugene T. Maleska

Re: CalculaTrivia?

<c7938808-e2bf-48b3-9263-fee4ec5253f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=668&group=rec.puzzles.crosswords#668

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles.crosswords
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: rjtesc...@gmail.com (Ryan Teschke)
 by: Ryan Teschke - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:08 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:25:59 PM UTC-4, Marik Chrisman wrote:

> > > In what way? Team solving is certainly not cheating, and I use every
> > > reference at my disposal to solve. The first time I was shocked to
> > > find that many solvers had made calls to assorted experts, etc., but
> > > that is a part of the game.
> > Yes it is; I shouldn't have said "cheating", which would imply a
> > violation of contest rules. What really concerns me is violation of
> > netiquette. In past Games contests, we have seen things like:
> > From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> > Newsgroups: sci.math
> > Subject: dodecahedron
> > From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> > Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies
> > Subject: Jimmy Stewart
> > From: x...@abc.def.ghi.edu (Xavier Y. Ziggurat)
> > Newsgroups: sci.astro,alt.science.planetary
> > Subject: Saturn's moons
> > How many moons does Saturn have? Thanks.
> > I'd like to think that solving a Calculatrivia should require a bit more
> > work than identifying 40 newsgroups to post to, and that was why my first
> > reaction was to call this sort of thing cheating. With messages of the
> > sort illustrated above -- and they truly are representation of some that
> > we've seen -- I think it's reasonable to call them abuse of Usenet, since
> > they conceal the poster's intent to profit monetarily by the answer.
> > If people are honest about what they're doing, that's different. And if
> > the intent was not to refer to Usenet postings, *that's* different.
> > May I suggest that further discussion migrate (with sufficient context)
> > to rec.puzzles?
> > ObCrossword:
> > Unwieldy prize using electric power (7)
> >
> > AWKWARD (AWARD + KW)
> > --
> > Mark Brader, m...@sq.com | "Where is down special?" ... "Good."
> > SoftQuad Inc., Toronto | "Do you refuse to answer my question?" "Don't know."
> > This article is in the public domain.
> Will Shortz killed Eugene T. Maleska
I am glad to see so may people who agree!