Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of good news soon.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: it was on my list of possibilities

SubjectAuthor
* it was on my list of possibilitiessongbird
`* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesSnag
 +* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiessongbird
 |`- Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesSnag
 +* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiessongbird
 |`* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesFrank
 | `* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiessongbird
 |  `* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesFrank
 |   `- Re: it was on my list of possibilitiessongbird
 `* Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesT
  `- Re: it was on my list of possibilitiesSnag

1
it was on my list of possibilities

<p9j1kj-7d7.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=662&group=rec.gardens.edible#662

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: it was on my list of possibilities
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 10:24:25 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 24 May 2023 14:24 UTC

one of my brother's came over for a visit yesterday
and we were talking about the house and i mentioned
that things were getting old and would likely need to
be replaced sooner rather than later. after 27 years
stuff is bound to break.

as it turned out last evening the well pump pressure
tank blew out the bottom.

i can't get things planted and watered or keep
seedlings alive without that so i was on the phone
this morning to get the plumber out to get that
fixed and they said they'd likely be out this
afternoon sometime.

not going to be cheap but it will still be less
than a monthly water bill. the budget includes some
wiggle room for things like this.

it was a good thing though that i did get all the
newly sprouted gardens watered and anything else that
needed it.

still no rain in the forecast.

songbird

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u4lfhr$3156r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=663&group=rec.gardens.edible#663

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: it was on my list of possibilities
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:55:21 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 24 May 2023 16:55 UTC

On 5/24/2023 9:24 AM, songbird wrote:
> one of my brother's came over for a visit yesterday
> and we were talking about the house and i mentioned
> that things were getting old and would likely need to
> be replaced sooner rather than later. after 27 years
> stuff is bound to break.
>
> as it turned out last evening the well pump pressure
> tank blew out the bottom.
>
> i can't get things planted and watered or keep
> seedlings alive without that so i was on the phone
> this morning to get the plumber out to get that
> fixed and they said they'd likely be out this
> afternoon sometime.
>
> not going to be cheap but it will still be less
> than a monthly water bill. the budget includes some
> wiggle room for things like this.
>
> it was a good thing though that i did get all the
> newly sprouted gardens watered and anything else that
> needed it.
>
> still no rain in the forecast.
>

> songbird

Hope the plumber gets you back in business quickly ! We're on city
water here , but the cost for watering the garden is pretty high .
There's been a well here since we bought the property , I just never
utilized it until last summer . I don't know if it's safe for people to
drink , but it's sure doing a good job of quenching my garden's thirst .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<4sd2kj-nsk.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=664&group=rec.gardens.edible#664

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:57:56 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 24 May 2023 21:57 UTC

Snag wrote:
> Hope the plumber gets you back in business quickly ! We're on city
> water here , but the cost for watering the garden is pretty high .
> There's been a well here since we bought the property , I just never
> utilized it until last summer . I don't know if it's safe for people to
> drink , but it's sure doing a good job of quenching my garden's thirst .

hopefully it doesn't have too much of bad stuff in it.
around here salt water is very common.

songbird

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<5qd2kj-nsk.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=665&group=rec.gardens.edible#665

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:56:53 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 24 May 2023 21:56 UTC

Snag wrote:
> Hope the plumber gets you back in business quickly ! We're on city
> water here , but the cost for watering the garden is pretty high .
> There's been a well here since we bought the property , I just never
> utilized it until last summer . I don't know if it's safe for people to
> drink , but it's sure doing a good job of quenching my garden's thirst .

thanks! we have a new tank installed, but there is
some issue with the well because it is not holding
pressure and there are no leaks in the house. so
tomorrow we'll see what the well people say if they
can get out here.

at least in the meantime we can turn on the well
for a while to get some toilets flushed and water
for doing dishes and any watering in the gardens
that might be needed. but i don't want to leave
the well power on all the time because it is cycling
pretty frequently.

not going to be a cheap event if they have to dig
up the well line to find the leak but i'm thinking
it might be right at the well itself based upon a
previous event. we'll see...

songbird

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u4nh2i$3f9k5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=666&group=rec.gardens.edible#666

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 06:33:41 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 25 May 2023 11:33 UTC

On 5/24/2023 4:57 PM, songbird wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>> Hope the plumber gets you back in business quickly ! We're on city
>> water here , but the cost for watering the garden is pretty high .
>> There's been a well here since we bought the property , I just never
>> utilized it until last summer . I don't know if it's safe for people to
>> drink , but it's sure doing a good job of quenching my garden's thirst .
>
> hopefully it doesn't have too much of bad stuff in it.
> around here salt water is very common.
>

> songbird

My concern is that the jerk that put my septic system in placed the
tank too close to the well . I really should have the water tested ,
there may be a time when we need that water for household use .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u4q5sd$3vdqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=667&group=rec.gardens.edible#667

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 07:40:59 -0400
 by: Frank - Fri, 26 May 2023 11:40 UTC

On 5/24/2023 5:56 PM, songbird wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>> Hope the plumber gets you back in business quickly ! We're on city
>> water here , but the cost for watering the garden is pretty high .
>> There's been a well here since we bought the property , I just never
>> utilized it until last summer . I don't know if it's safe for people to
>> drink , but it's sure doing a good job of quenching my garden's thirst .
>
> thanks! we have a new tank installed, but there is
> some issue with the well because it is not holding
> pressure and there are no leaks in the house. so
> tomorrow we'll see what the well people say if they
> can get out here.
>
> at least in the meantime we can turn on the well
> for a while to get some toilets flushed and water
> for doing dishes and any watering in the gardens
> that might be needed. but i don't want to leave
> the well power on all the time because it is cycling
> pretty frequently.
>
> not going to be a cheap event if they have to dig
> up the well line to find the leak but i'm thinking
> it might be right at the well itself based upon a
> previous event. we'll see...
>

> songbird

We have been in this house over 45 years with a well and have dealt with
everything going wrong. On one acre lots I have run a garden hose
between neighbors for them or me until things get fixed. Just running
hose from outlet to outlet works.

I was using a plumber for repairs replacing pressure tank a few times
and pump a couple of times. Had a bad experience over four years ago
when plumber replaced pump and well collapsed. We had water but pump
would not go as deep as wanted and could not be taken out and plumber
stuck us with big bill and no advice.

I hired well digger to straighten everything out which included digging
new well, about 150 feet deep, pump and pressure tank.

If I need help in the future I will go back to the well digger and not
the plumber as well digger can handle the whole system.

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<6jt6kj-92a.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=668&group=rec.gardens.edible#668

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 10:50:46 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 26 May 2023 14:50 UTC

Frank wrote:
> If I need help in the future I will go back to the well digger and not
> the plumber as well digger can handle the whole system.

based upon my experience with the plumber i would say
that they don't know what they are doing with wells and
the well guy came out and fixed what they did so it works.

we do have water again and so i get to go out and water
the plants that are started.

we might have had frost last night so i'm hoping the
plants survived ok. i think they did, but until i get
out there to look and water i won't know for sure...

songbird

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u4qt9c$244m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=669&group=rec.gardens.edible#669

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 14:20:27 -0400
 by: Frank - Fri, 26 May 2023 18:20 UTC

On 5/26/2023 10:50 AM, songbird wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> If I need help in the future I will go back to the well digger and not
>> the plumber as well digger can handle the whole system.
>
> based upon my experience with the plumber i would say
> that they don't know what they are doing with wells and
> the well guy came out and fixed what they did so it works.
>
> we do have water again and so i get to go out and water
> the plants that are started.
>
> we might have had frost last night so i'm hoping the
> plants survived ok. i think they did, but until i get
> out there to look and water i won't know for sure...
>

> songbird

Good to hear. Guess you knew what I found out it is best to get the
proper people for the job.

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<adv7kj-mra.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=670&group=rec.gardens.edible#670

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 20:27:54 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 27 May 2023 00:27 UTC

Frank wrote:
> Good to hear. Guess you knew what I found out it is best to get the
> proper people for the job.

it's hard to know if anyone is really good or not until
you've had them do something and been able to observe them.

i shall not rant here about the plumbers but they did
some things that make me very sure we won't be calling
them again or recommending them to anyone else.

next week i need to get the pressure increased as
watering today there was too little pressure for what i
normally need to do. i'll ask the well guy first if he
can stop over anytime he's in the area next time to do
this since while i do understand roughly what the task
entails i don't want to attempt it without either asking
some questions or having him here and i can be his
helper like the last few times. it's not an emergency
now so we can get by until whenever. being without
water in a dry spell is not something i want to have
happen again if i can help it. especially with all the
planting i'm going to be doing in the next few weeks.

we could really use some long soaking gentle rains.

songbird

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u567su$25cui$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=682&group=rec.gardens.edible#682

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 18:29:01 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 31 May 2023 01:29 UTC

On 5/24/23 09:55, Snag wrote:
> We're on city water here , but the cost for watering the garden is
> pretty high . There's been a well here since we bought the property

In these parts, Big Brother outlaws wells when there
is a city hookup available, even if you do not tap
into it. Keep yours hidden just in case!

Re: it was on my list of possibilities

<u56foi$29ttt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=684&group=rec.gardens.edible#684

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 22:43:11 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 31 May 2023 03:43 UTC

On 5/30/2023 8:29 PM, T wrote:
> On 5/24/23 09:55, Snag wrote:
>> We're on city water here , but the cost for watering the garden is
>> pretty high . There's been a well here since we bought the property
>
> In these parts, Big Brother outlaws wells when there
> is a city hookup available, even if you do not tap
> into it.  Keep yours hidden just in case!

I suspect the guy that installed my septic system - who also happened
to be the head of our water company at that time - thought he'd negated
my use of the well by placing the septic tank too close . We'll see , I
picked up a test sample kit to send off to the state health assn this
morning . I'm already using the well to water the garden , but I'd like
to know if it's safe to drink . I suspect it is , due to the orientation
of the strata of the subsurface rock formations . The layers of rock and
clay/sand are sloped such that effluent from my drainage field will flow
away from the well site . By the time it gets 48 feet down it'll be a
long way from my well .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts