From: m1...@m1.com (World-News2100)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: More of my philosophy about NP-hard problems and about Rust and C++..
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:25:27 -0500
 by: World-News2100 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 21:25 UTC

Hello,

More of my philosophy about NP-hard problems and about Rust and C++..

I think i am smart and i have just quickly looked at Rust compiler and i
think that since the Rust compiler has included race detection so
it is NP-hard, so that means that Rust compiler will never know in race
detection which of races are real race conditions(Read here in the
following paper so that to understand it:
https://www.sjsu.edu/people/robert.chun/courses/cs159/s3/Y.pdf), and,
this is the reason why it is difficult to use a tool to find race
conditions accurately, so then i think that C++ is still useful by using
it with Threadsanatizer and Address sanatizer even if C++ is getting
complex as i just said the following:

Also C++ has the following problem:

- C++ is a highly complex language. Learning and fully understanding C++
requires a huge learning effort. C++ code does not always do what one
would ‘intuitively’ expect from looking at the source code. At the
same time, the high complexity of C++ increases the probability of
compiler errors. C++ compiler writers are only humans, after all.

More of my philosophy about C++ and Rust and Microsoft and
safety-critical systems..

I invite you to read the following from Microsoft about Rust programming
language:

Microsoft: Rust Is the Industry’s ‘Best Chance’ at Safe Systems Programming

https://thenewstack.io/microsoft-rust-is-the-industrys-best-chance-at-safe-systems-programming/

I think that the above article is not correct, since i think that
Rust is suited for safety-critical systems, so i think Rust is better
than C++ in the safety-critical systems, but i think that C++ will
still be useful with the Address sanitizer and ThreadSanatizer,
and read my below thoughts since i have just added something in them:

More of my philosophy about memory safety and inheritance in programming
languages..

"Address sanitization is not a security feature, nor does it provide
memory-safety: it's a debugging tool. Programmers already have tools to
detect that the code they've written has memory problems, such as
use-after-free or memory leaks. Valgrind is probably the best-known
example. This gcc feature provides (some of) the same functionality: the
only new thing is that it's integrated with the compiler, so it's easier
to use.

You wouldn't have this feature turned on in production: it's for
debugging only. You compile your tests with this flag, and automatically
they detect memory errors that are triggered by the test. If your tests
aren't sufficient to trigger the problem, then you still have the
problem, and it'll still cause the same security flaws in production.

Rust's ownership model prevents these defects by making programs that
contain such defects invalid: the compiler will not compile them. You
don't have to worry about your tests not triggering the problem, because
if the code compiles, there cannot be a problem.

The two features are for different sets of problems. One feature of
address sanitization is to detect memory leaks (allocating memory and
neglecting to free it later). Rust makes it harder to write memory leaks
than in C or C++, but it's still possible (if you have circular
references). Rust's ownership model prevents data races in sequential
and multi-threaded situations (see below). Address sanitization doesn't
aim to detect either of those cases. But you can use ThreadSanatizer"

And using just plain C#, it has better memory protection, since the GC
and runtime make it impossible to leak, double-free, or access
out-of-bounds. C# has unsafe blocks just like Rust does. Safe Rust is
just as safe from memory safety problems as safe C#.

I think that a programming language has to provide "inheritance",
and the new Rust programming language doesn't provide it and i think
that it is a deficiency in Rust, here is why:

As a software developer you have to become more efficient and
productive. So you need to make sure the code you write is easily
reusable and maintainable. And, among other things, this is what
inheritance gives you - the ability to reuse without reinventing the
wheel, as well as the ability to easily maintain your base object
without having to perform maintenance on all similar objects.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.