Don't go to bed with no price on your head. -- Baretta

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

SubjectAuthor
* New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskLeon
+* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Deskhubops
|+- Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskLeon
|`- Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskJ. Clarke
`* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskDerbyDad03
 +- Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskLeon
 `* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskMichael Trew
  `* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskDerbyDad03
   `* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskMichael Trew
    `* Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskDerbyDad03
     `- Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/DeskMichael Trew

1
New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<sO2dncpIT5-OZe7_nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6814&group=rec.woodworking#6814

Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 11:15:14 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk
 by: Leon - Thu, 5 May 2022 16:15 UTC

It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.

A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/

On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
$14,600 last week.

FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<jlv77h9ln5sm0nkf0o2pg0kd7mp6v2dla8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6815&group=rec.woodworking#6815

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:43:33 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Thu, 5 May 2022 16:43 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 11:15:14 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

>It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.
>
>A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
>down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
>has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
>will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
>hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
>building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
>for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
>similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
>

>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/
>

>On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
>seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
>few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
>including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
>earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
>ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
>managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
>on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
>$14,600 last week.
>
>FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
>6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.

$ 55,000. Canuck-Bucks plus $ 7.000 + sales tax :

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/cx-9/scarborough/ontario/5_54603145_on20071219110409679/?ncse=no&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=1&pc=N1R%205S7&sprx=250

Nice car but seems too big for 4 cyl.- but the other manufacturers
seem to be doing the same thing - dropping the 6 cyl option.
.... often in these utes the 6 cyl gets similar fuel economy.
John T.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<50365251-517f-4d2c-8c15-72f5fa1363e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6817&group=rec.woodworking#6817

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 11:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:18 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:15:24 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.
>
> A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
> down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
> has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
> will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
> hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
> building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
> for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
> similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?

Ask my 30 YO daughter. She has at least a half dozen typewriters displayed
around her house, including on a desk in her bedroom and on old telephone
desk in the dining room.

Similar to this, but her table is maple and the chair is hinged so that it swings under
the table when not in use.

https://i.imgur.com/y0tVtWM.jpg

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/
>

> On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
> seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
> few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
> including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
> earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
> ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
> managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
> on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
> $14,600 last week.

SWMBO's 2011 CR-V EX with 112K mile recently sustained $6500 worth
of damage from a tree limb that fell on it during a windstorm. The Ins Co
paid to repair it because they valued the car at $13.8K. She paid $13K for
it 6 years ago.

> FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
> 6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<SvKdndvs5q8gi-n_nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6818&group=rec.woodworking#6818

Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 13:26:03 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:26 UTC

On 5/5/2022 11:43 AM, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2022 11:15:14 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:
>
>> It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.
>>
>> A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
>> down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
>> has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
>> will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
>> hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
>> building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
>> for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
>> similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
>>

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/
>>

>> On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
>> seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
>> few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
>> including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
>> earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
>> ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
>> managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
>> on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
>> $14,600 last week.
>>
>> FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
>> 6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.
>>

> $ 55,000. Canuck-Bucks plus $ 7.000 + sales tax :
>
> https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/cx-9/scarborough/ontario/5_54603145_on20071219110409679/?ncse=no&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=1&pc=N1R%205S7&sprx=250

So sticker, for us, was right at $50K and drive out was just over $54K.

> Nice car but seems too big for 4 cyl.- but the other manufacturers
> seem to be doing the same thing - dropping the 6 cyl option.
> ... often in these utes the 6 cyl gets similar fuel economy.
> John T.

You know that is what I thought. BUT Torque is where it is all at.
One of the reasons that we went back 6 years later and reconsidered it.

This turbo 4 has 311 p/f of torque at 2,000 rpm. With regular fuel.
With premium HP goes up 10% in hotter climates. Few if any naturally
aspirated V6's have that much torque. My wife's V6 Camry with 269 HP
and much less torque would do 0-60 in 6 seconds. This much larger
vehicle takes 1 second longer. And FWIW we were on the freeway a few
nights ago doing 55. I punched it and by the time I looked back down at
the speedo we were doing 80 and still accelerating.

We drove the Telluride with a V6 and no turbo and it felt sluggish by
comparison.

The CX9 really has to be driven to appreciate that the engine and
transmission work very well together. Floor it and you better be paying
attention. LOL.

Anddddd....
Compared to V6 Kia Telluride and V6 Honda Pilot. As the video points
out, the CX9 is not huge inside but 4 can ride very comfortably on a
road trip with plenty of luggage space with the 3rd seats folded down.
Ours will likely stay down most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqTgaJpuLTc

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<zbydnT4XgaY5iun_nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6819&group=rec.woodworking#6819

Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 13:29:56 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:29 UTC

On 5/5/2022 1:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:15:24 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.
>>
>> A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
>> down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
>> has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
>> will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
>> hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
>> building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
>> for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
>> similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
>
> Ask my 30 YO daughter. She has at least a half dozen typewriters displayed
> around her house, including on a desk in her bedroom and on old telephone
> desk in the dining room.
>
> Similar to this, but her table is maple and the chair is hinged so that it swings under
> the table when not in use.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/y0tVtWM.jpg

My parents used to have a telephone table similar to that. ;~)

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/
>>

>> On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
>> seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
>> few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
>> including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
>> earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
>> ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
>> managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
>> on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
>> $14,600 last week.
>
> SWMBO's 2011 CR-V EX with 112K mile recently sustained $6500 worth
> of damage from a tree limb that fell on it during a windstorm. The Ins Co
> paid to repair it because they valued the car at $13.8K. She paid $13K for
> it 6 years ago.

Win win! We ended up cashing in at CarMax. The lady, our age said
that used car prices peaked in March and were starting to go back down.
Timing is everything in this market.

>> FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
>> 6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<du097h5l7uh2bt89ts34j6ivfjunfl0plr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6820&group=rec.woodworking#6820

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 22:12:00 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 6 May 2022 02:12 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 12:43:33 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Thu, 5 May 2022 11:15:14 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:
>
>>It seems I keep getting jobs and the kitchen rehab gets delayed again.
>>
>>A customer has seen my wife's sewing cabinet/desk and wants a scaled
>>down in size version. This one will be 36" shorter them the one my wife
>>has which easily accommodates 2 embroidery sewing machines. This one
>>will be good for a single sewing machine and will have peg board for
>>hanging rulers on the opposite end of the drawer unit. I will only be
>>building the unit and the customer will be supplying the paint and labor
>>for that final step. The drawer section will have a pull out table
>>similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
>>

>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52052266278/in/datetaken/
>>

>>On a side note we bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Signature SUV. Timing
>>seemed to be right, exactly right AAMOF. The Mazda dealer was one of a
>>few dealers anywhere that had stock on hand. The one she wanted
>>including exact match color inside and out arrived on the lot a day
>>earlier. We were looking hard at this exact same vehicle about 6 years
>>ago. The dealer was only asking sticker + his $1,600 add-ons which we
>>managed to reduce to $595.00. While that is still high, trade in value
>>on her 2012 Camry ES V6 went from a value of $5,000 two years ago to
>>$14,600 last week.
>>
>>FWIW the local Kia dealer is asking $15,000 over sticker along with a
>>6~8 month wait for a loaded Telluride. That was a hard pass.
>>

> $ 55,000. Canuck-Bucks plus $ 7.000 + sales tax :
>
>https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/cx-9/scarborough/ontario/5_54603145_on20071219110409679/?ncse=no&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=1&pc=N1R%205S7&sprx=250
>
>Nice car but seems too big for 4 cyl.- but the other manufacturers
>seem to be doing the same thing - dropping the 6 cyl option.
>... often in these utes the 6 cyl gets similar fuel economy.

That's a 4 with a blower.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<t5514p$1bn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6821&group=rec.woodworking#6821

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 01:47:11 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 7 May 2022 05:47 UTC

On 5/5/2022 14:18, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:15:24 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> The drawer section will have a pull out table
>> similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
>
> Ask my 30 YO daughter. She has at least a half dozen typewriters displayed
> around her house, including on a desk in her bedroom and on old telephone
> desk in the dining room.
>
> Similar to this, but her table is maple and the chair is hinged so that it swings under
> the table when not in use.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/y0tVtWM.jpg

Are any of hers in working shape, or just for display? I still sell
type-writers at the local antique mall. Even the newer ones and
electrics can go for $35-50. Some people collect the big heavy 100+
year old manual "clackity" ones. Those go for a lot these days.

Some of those old phone desks are quite popular as well, and the WE
phones can bring a high price on eBay. I own several of the old style
princess phones with lit dials that I'm slowing restoring. I'm amazed
at what people are selling these for on eBay (I two of mine hooked up
and working on my land line).

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<4e1e2393-1969-4686-ac31-70544ca9a1d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6824&group=rec.woodworking#6824

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 8 May 2022 01:33 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:47:11 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 5/5/2022 14:18, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:15:24 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> >> The drawer section will have a pull out table
> >> similar to a typewriter pull out on a desk. Wait! What's a typewriter?
> >
> > Ask my 30 YO daughter. She has at least a half dozen typewriters displayed
> > around her house, including on a desk in her bedroom and on old telephone
> > desk in the dining room.
> >
> > Similar to this, but her table is maple and the chair is hinged so that it swings under
> > the table when not in use.
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/y0tVtWM.jpg
> Are any of hers in working shape, or just for display? I still sell
> type-writers at the local antique mall. Even the newer ones and
> electrics can go for $35-50. Some people collect the big heavy 100+
> year old manual "clackity" ones. Those go for a lot these days.
>
> Some of those old phone desks are quite popular as well, and the WE
> phones can bring a high price on eBay. I own several of the old style
> princess phones with lit dials that I'm slowing restoring. I'm amazed
> at what people are selling these for on eBay (I two of mine hooked up
> and working on my land line).

What are these 2 worth? ;-) They both work. Need tune ups, but they work.

Smith Corona:
https://i.imgur.com/kP6ybz6.jpg

Royal:
https://i.imgur.com/fQPptkc.jpg

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<t57a82$et0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6825&group=rec.woodworking#6825

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 22:34:49 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 8 May 2022 02:34 UTC

On 5/7/2022 21:33, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:47:11 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>> Are any of hers in working shape, or just for display? I still sell
>> type-writers at the local antique mall. Even the newer ones and
>> electrics can go for $35-50. Some people collect the big heavy 100+
>> year old manual "clackity" ones. Those go for a lot these days.
>>
>> Some of those old phone desks are quite popular as well, and the WE
>> phones can bring a high price on eBay. I own several of the old style
>> princess phones with lit dials that I'm slowing restoring. I'm amazed
>> at what people are selling these for on eBay (I two of mine hooked up
>> and working on my land line).
>
> What are these 2 worth? ;-) They both work. Need tune ups, but they work.
>
> Smith Corona:
> https://i.imgur.com/kP6ybz6.jpg

I assume that these are from her house? The SC typewriter, not worth a
lot. Looks to be in nice condition; I'd sell it for $45 in my area.

> Royal:
> https://i.imgur.com/fQPptkc.jpg

That's old manual Royal is a really nice one. I wouldn't sell it for a
dime less than $100 as-is. Of course, regional prices vary. Many areas
are more expensive than where I live.

I'm more interested in the old teapot with matching sugar and creamer
next to the Royal typewriter, personally. I could be wrong, but I'm
almost certain they are from Hall China. I live minutes from the
factory, which is sadly now closed.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<c16e2c3b-4235-4021-8498-7b0bb9f4eac7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6828&group=rec.woodworking#6828

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 16:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 8 May 2022 23:29 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 10:34:48 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 5/7/2022 21:33, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:47:11 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> >> Are any of hers in working shape, or just for display? I still sell
> >> type-writers at the local antique mall. Even the newer ones and
> >> electrics can go for $35-50. Some people collect the big heavy 100+
> >> year old manual "clackity" ones. Those go for a lot these days.
> >>
> >> Some of those old phone desks are quite popular as well, and the WE
> >> phones can bring a high price on eBay. I own several of the old style
> >> princess phones with lit dials that I'm slowing restoring. I'm amazed
> >> at what people are selling these for on eBay (I two of mine hooked up
> >> and working on my land line).
> >
> > What are these 2 worth? ;-) They both work. Need tune ups, but they work.
> >
> > Smith Corona:
> > https://i.imgur.com/kP6ybz6.jpg
> I assume that these are from her house? The SC typewriter, not worth a
> lot. Looks to be in nice condition; I'd sell it for $45 in my area.
>
> > Royal:
> > https://i.imgur.com/fQPptkc.jpg
>
> That's old manual Royal is a really nice one. I wouldn't sell it for a
> dime less than $100 as-is. Of course, regional prices vary. Many areas
> are more expensive than where I live.
>
> I'm more interested in the old teapot with matching sugar and creamer
> next to the Royal typewriter, personally. I could be wrong, but I'm
> almost certain they are from Hall China. I live minutes from the
> factory, which is sadly now closed.

I didn't see your post until I got home from her house (~3 hours away)
otherwise I would have looked at the tea set a little closer. Typewriters
and tea sets; those are what she likes. I'll asked her to take a look at
the set and see if she can find a manufacturer's name on it someplace.

The reason for this trip was to repair parts of her fence that were damaged
when some limbs fell from her tree. She, her BF and I had just fenced in her
yard last fall.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0NXDH4.jpg

An ice storm hit a couple of weeks ago and enough limbs came down that
we've decided the whole tree has to go. We knew the tree had some issues
and she was getting estimates to have it trimmed, but it's in worse shape
than anybody knew.

Believe it or not, this limb did not damage the house or the neighbor's cars.
It was a perfect landing. However, it did take out 2 sections of the fence.

https://i.imgur.com/FWdKodG.jpg

The limbs on the back of the tree dropped right into the center of the yard and
didn't do any damage. That's a glass table at front the patio and you can just
make out her brand new snow covered grill at the far end. The limbs landed
between those two items and straddled the wicker furniture, not breaking a
single piece.

https://i.imgur.com/ISQrTsf.jpg

All in all, she was quite lucky.

Re: New Job Sewing Cabinet/Desk

<t59rag$5gi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6829&group=rec.woodworking#6829

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 21:38:23 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 9 May 2022 01:38 UTC

On 5/8/2022 19:29, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 10:34:48 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> I'm more interested in the old teapot with matching sugar and creamer
>> next to the Royal typewriter, personally. I could be wrong, but I'm
>> almost certain they are from Hall China. I live minutes from the
>> factory, which is sadly now closed.
>
> I didn't see your post until I got home from her house (~3 hours away)
> otherwise I would have looked at the tea set a little closer. Typewriters
> and tea sets; those are what she likes. I'll asked her to take a look at
> the set and see if she can find a manufacturer's name on it someplace.

No big deal, but if she gets around to it, I'm quite curious if I was
right about it being Hall China. I can point out some makers from
a-far. Since it was all made here, our area is still quite saturated
with this old pottery, and it doesn't sell for much. Take those old
teapots down to Florida, etc, and ones that sell for $15-20 each here
might go for ten times that amount!

> Believe it or not, this limb did not damage the house or the neighbor's cars.
> It was a perfect landing. However, it did take out 2 sections of the fence.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/FWdKodG.jpg
>
> The limbs on the back of the tree dropped right into the center of the yard and
> didn't do any damage. That's a glass table at front the patio and you can just
> make out her brand new snow covered grill at the far end. The limbs landed
> between those two items and straddled the wicker furniture, not breaking a
> single piece.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/ISQrTsf.jpg
>
> All in all, she was quite lucky.

Wow, that sure is quite lucky. That reminds me of the huge old pine
tree beside my father's house that fell when we were at Christmas Eve
candlelight service at least 10 years ago. Somehow, the tree turned as
it was falling, and just missed the corner of the house -- it would have
easily wiped out a whole bedroom, but only dinged the gutter. That
would have really put a damper on Christmas.