Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 14:11:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Antrobus/Lawrence
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:11 UTC

On Saturday, November 23, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Paul M. Gifford wrote:
> Regarding Joan Arnold, who married Walter Antrobus and who was the mother of
> Joan Antrobus, who married (1) Thomas Lawrence and (2) John Tuttle:
> She was probably not the Joan, daughter of John Arnold, baptized in 1571. The
> will of John Arnolde, of St. Albans, Herts., dated 31 Oct. 1583, was proved 21
> Nov. 1583 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (15 Butts, FHL film 91965).
> In it he gives to eldest son George Arnold, seven houses in Dunstable; to
> younger son John Arnold his house in the Vintrye of St. Albans, and to John
> two silver spoons which his Uncles gave him at his christening, at 21; he
> gave legacies to elder daughter Mary Arnold, daughter Sara Arnold; to Emme
> Mannyngham "my late wyves mother"; to my brother Hugh Arnolde; to my sister
> Joane 13s., 4d.; he mentioned "cossen" Edward Gladwin, and his wife.
> Witnesses were Mr. Thomas Walley, Mr. Richarde Manningham, Thomas Appowell,
> Richard Graye and John Daye; Roger Williams was writer. The codicil says that
> Barnabie Lawrence shall keep the portion of my younger son John until he is
> 21, and that Lawrence was to bring up John.
> The Joan baptized in 1571 was probably a daughter who wasn't living in 1583.
> The St. Albans Abbey parish register shows the last child of Walter and Joan
> Antrobus as Henry, baptized 25 April 1600. Thus Joan was probably born closer
> to 1560.
> The same parish register gives the baptisms of Marie, dau. of John and
> Elizabeth Arnold, 5 May 1560; Sara, 7 Sept. 1567; Joan; and John, 6 Feb. 1574.
> It would appear that John Arnold was a much older brother of Joan, born
> perhaps about 1535. I don't know how much further traceable this line is,
> but I haven't yet looked at the St. Albans parish registers (the above dates
> are from the IGI). I looked at the index to Archdeaconry of St. Albans wills
> (which shows the 1625 wills of John and Judith Arnold of St. Albans), but
> don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans
> Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be
> interested.
> Paul Gifford

Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold, children of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; ... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_John_Manningham_of_the_Middle_T/gyxTAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=arnold%20albans

Re: Antrobus/Lawrence

<b062906f-4cd4-42aa-b267-16b47b4a4f2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6848&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6848

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 14:21:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:21 UTC

On Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 5:12:00 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
> On Saturday, November 23, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Paul M. Gifford wrote:
> > Regarding Joan Arnold, who married Walter Antrobus and who was the mother of
> > Joan Antrobus, who married (1) Thomas Lawrence and (2) John Tuttle:
> > She was probably not the Joan, daughter of John Arnold, baptized in 1571. The
> > will of John Arnolde, of St. Albans, Herts., dated 31 Oct. 1583, was proved 21
> > Nov. 1583 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (15 Butts, FHL film 91965).
> > In it he gives to eldest son George Arnold, seven houses in Dunstable; to
> > younger son John Arnold his house in the Vintrye of St. Albans, and to John
> > two silver spoons which his Uncles gave him at his christening, at 21; he
> > gave legacies to elder daughter Mary Arnold, daughter Sara Arnold; to Emme
> > Mannyngham "my late wyves mother"; to my brother Hugh Arnolde; to my sister
> > Joane 13s., 4d.; he mentioned "cossen" Edward Gladwin, and his wife.
> > Witnesses were Mr. Thomas Walley, Mr. Richarde Manningham, Thomas Appowell,
> > Richard Graye and John Daye; Roger Williams was writer. The codicil says that
> > Barnabie Lawrence shall keep the portion of my younger son John until he is
> > 21, and that Lawrence was to bring up John.
> > The Joan baptized in 1571 was probably a daughter who wasn't living in 1583.
> > The St. Albans Abbey parish register shows the last child of Walter and Joan
> > Antrobus as Henry, baptized 25 April 1600. Thus Joan was probably born closer
> > to 1560.
> > The same parish register gives the baptisms of Marie, dau. of John and
> > Elizabeth Arnold, 5 May 1560; Sara, 7 Sept. 1567; Joan; and John, 6 Feb.. 1574.
> > It would appear that John Arnold was a much older brother of Joan, born
> > perhaps about 1535. I don't know how much further traceable this line is,
> > but I haven't yet looked at the St. Albans parish registers (the above dates
> > are from the IGI). I looked at the index to Archdeaconry of St. Albans wills
> > (which shows the 1625 wills of John and Judith Arnold of St. Albans), but
> > don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans
> > Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be
> > interested.
> > Paul Gifford
> Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold, children of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; ... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_John_Manningham_of_the_Middle_T/gyxTAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=arnold%20albans

There's also the 1580 marriage of "Walter Anterbus" and Barbara Lawrence at St. Albans ...
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Parish_Registers_of_St_Albans_Abbey/IToVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22walter+anterbus%22&pg=PA30&printsec=frontcover

Re: Antrobus/Lawrence

<75b6a07b-e57e-4d0f-8ef7-1555893e0fdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6853&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6853

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 05:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: starbuc...@hotmail.com (JBrand)
 by: JBrand - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:33 UTC

On Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 5:21:23 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
> [...]
> > > don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans
> > > Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be
> > > interested.
> > > Paul Gifford
> > Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold, children of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; .... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."
> >
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_John_Manningham_of_the_Middle_T/gyxTAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=arnold%20albans
> There's also the 1580 marriage of "Walter Anterbus" and Barbara Lawrence at St. Albans ...

It seems possible the "sister Joane" of John Arnold could be the widow of a brother of his (possibly Hugh), and, as such, possibly considerably younger than John.