Snoopy: No problem is so big that it can't be run away from.

interests / soc.culture.polish / Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

SubjectAuthor
* Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Tia a
+- Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący da a
+- Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący da a
`* Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący dnarc...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący da a
  `- Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący da a

1
Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<848deb05-0253-48b1-ab17-972822ddb2afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69199&group=soc.culture.polish#69199

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Pełne_wyjaśnienie,_dlaczego_Titan_nurkujący_do_Ti
tanica_zostal_zgnieciony
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:11 UTC

The Titan Tragedy—A Deep Dive Into Carbon Fiber, Used for the First Time in a Submersible

All right for aerospace, carbon fiber may have been all wrong for the deep sea
WRITTEN BY
RoopinderTara
Roopinder Tara
PUBLISHED
Jun 30, 2023
READING TIME
~7 mins

LISTEN TO STORY
7 43977
1 Share

image-center

James Cameron, filmmaker and deep ocean explorer, does not care for carbon fiber in the design of a submersible. Video: Wall Street Journal

Thomas Edison tried to use carbon fiber as filaments in light bulbs in 1879.. It didn’t work. But the strands of carbon, first created in 1860, found use in aerospace where their high strength to weight ratio is highly desirable. Rolls Royce used carbon fiber for the fan blades in the jet engines when it entered the U.S. market. Since then, it has since found use with the military and in racing cars. It has made its way into consumer goods.. The lightest racing bikes and the most expensive fly-fishing rods make use of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber now has a such a high-tech appeal that carbon fiber weave is being used for its cosmetic, rather than its engineering, properties such as with aftermarket car parts.

One would not expect an engineer to select carbon fiber for anything but its engineering properties. But the late OceanGate CEO and founder, Stockton Rush (he perished in the Titan submersible on its fateful dive to see the Titanic on June 18, 2023, along with 4 others) was no ordinary engineer. Educated in aerospace (bachelors in aerospace engineering from Princeton) and business (MBA from Berkeley’s Haas School of Business). He chose carbon fiber for the material for his next level of deep-sea submersibles that would take “Titaniacs” (as he called Titanic fans) all the way down to 4,000 meters below the surface to see their beloved shipwreck – and make big bucks doing so. One Titaniac on a previous, successful dive, saved for 30 years to come up with the $250,000 OceanGate charged..

The Case Against Carbon Fiber
OceanGate was the first to use carbon fiber in the hull of a deep sea submersible.

James Cameron, director of the Titanic and undersea explorer of some renown (taking his one-person submersible, the Deepsea Challenge to the Challenger Deep, guided by McCallum, where the pressure is over a thousand atmospheres. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal on June 23, when the world had given up all hope of finding survivors, Cameron said he “knew” what happened. “The sub has imploded,” he says with finality.

James Cameron, director of the Titanic and undersea explorer of some renown (taking his one-person submersible, the Deepsea Challenge to the Challenger Deep, guided by McCallum, where the pressure is over a thousand atmospheres. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal on June 23, Cameron says he “knew” what happened. “The sub has imploded,” he says with finality.

“I never believed that technology of wound carbon fiber filament on the cylindrical hull would work,” says Cameron “I thought it was a horrible idea.”

Cameron wishes he had spoken up when he first heard of this use of carbon fiber but he “thought someone was smarter than me,” says Cameron.

That unnamed “someone” is most likely Stockton Rush.

Cameron is part owner of Triton Submarines, which builds and sells submersibles, as mentioned in the Wall Street Journal.

The Long and Winding Fiber

How carbon fiber parts can perform admirably above the surface and fail catastrophically at thousands of meters below bears explanation.

Bands of carbon fiber being wound around a metal core for the Cyclops 2 (later renamed the Titan). Video: OceanGate.

Wet winding carbon fiber around a round core is a best practice approach in aerospace to create stiff, strong and lightweight fuselages, such as in the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Rush claimed to have a partnership with Boeing, which Boeing denied after the disaster. The relationship may have consisted of no more than buying carbon fiber from the aircraft manufacturer “at a big discount” “because it was past its shelf life for use in airplanes,” according to Arnie Wiseman, travel editor of the Travel Weekly, who recalled a conversation with Rush for the Washington Post.

The main structural difference between a pressure vessel, such as an aircraft fuselage, and a submersible is external versus internal pressure. Internal pressure makes its gas container want to expand. Think of a balloon. The tightly wound carbon fibers around a fuselage are great at resisting expansion. The tensile strength of carbon fiber (as much as 7.06 Gpa) is 4 times better than steel wire (1.77 Gpa). Carbon fiber in tension also offers satisfying simplicity. Like a string being pulled, it keeps its shape in tension. Put carbon fiber in compression, however, and all bets are off.

Boeing 787 fuselage made with similar process: winding carbon fiber around a core. Video: YouTube.

Carbon fiber is also used in pressure vessels. It has a marine application as well, including scuba tanks, which are valued for their lightness.

A design that put carbon fibers in tension and with internal pressure on the order of 1 atmosphere, as occurs with the Dreamliner, is vastly different than putting carbon fibers in compression with external pressures two orders of magnitude higher, as occur at Titanic depth.

The external pressure on the submersible put the carbon fibers wound into the hull in compression. Expecting carbon fibers to remain in the round rather than crumpling is the job of the epoxy matrix that surrounds each fiber. Still, carbon fiber subjected to compression has as little as 30%[i], and the most, 60%[ii], of its strength in tension.

image-center

The definition of a kink band. (A) Micrograph from experiment. (B) Schematics and definition of the kink-band geometric parameters: fiber angle α, band angle β, and band width ω. Source:Composites Science and Technology, S.T. Pinho, P. Robinson, L. Iannucci, Volume 66, Issue 13, October 2006,

But the cylindrical section of the Titan’s hull is subject also to significant axial force caused by the pressure against the spherical domes. The resulting force compressing the cylinder along its axis at a depth of 4,000 meters is a whopping 20 million pounds.

Can the carbon fiber hull take it?

A 2017 article in Composite Weekly describes the carbon fiber construction of the Cyclops 2 (later renamed as the Titan) as “alternating placement of prepreg carbon fiber/epoxy unidirectional fabrics in the axial direction” with “wet winding of carbon fiber/epoxy in the hoop direction, for a total of 480 plies.”

In the axial direction, the hull gets no help from the wound carbon fiber which lies opposed to the axis. Consequently, the axial force is resisted only by the compressive strength of the epoxy matrix and sheets of CFRP that are laid by hand containing carbon fibers running along the axial direction.. OceanGate shows a metal tube around which the carbon fiber filament is wound but it may be a mandril removed after hardening of the composite. There is no evidence that it stays in the hull so we can’t assume any help from it.

Winding filament around prepreg sheets would help keep carbon fiber aligned with the axis. However, the possibility that the filament ribbon would be cut, compromising some strength, has raised at least one eyebrow among the engineers at Eng-Tips.

Unlike homogenous, isotropic material, such as the titanium used in the endcaps, which springs back into shape as good as new, the carbon fiber hull suffers with each dive. The fibers can crack, bend, lose adhesion with the epoxy matrix… and other problems that are peculiar to composites.

The Titan had multiple dives to greater that 3,000 meter depth which and may have accumulated weaknesses.

image-center

US Patent 11119071B1 for hull monitoring systems assigned to Richard Stockton Rush in 2018. Image: Google Patents

OceanGate planned to keep an eye on its hull and created its own real time hull monitoring system to listen for creaks and pops with 20 acoustic detectors as well as 30 strain detectors, most of them on the carbon fiber cylinder.

No hull monitoring system was needed during a April 2019 dive when Karl Stanley, submersible expert, took the Titan to 12,000 ft off the coast of the Bahamas. Stanley heard a cracking noise and urged Rush to cancel that summer’s dives to see the Titanic, reported the New York Times.

Next: Ill-Fated Titan Submersible Was Based on an Unproven Design

Corrections

**July 20, 2023:**Changed attribution for kink band graphic.

July 5, 2023: James Cameron is part owner of Triton Submarines, according to the WSJ, not OceanGate.

[i] A Review of Structural Factors Which Control Compression in Carbon Fibres and Their Composites, Srinivas Nunna, et. al., Composite Structures, 2023
[ii] Compressive Strength of a Carbon Fiber in Matrix, M. Ueda, et. al, 18th International Conference on Composite Materials.
2 Replies
Share your thoughts
WRITTEN BY
RoopinderTara Roopinder Tara

Director of Content. Passionate about CAD, engineering and technology during the day, cycling and running the rest of the time. Professional engineer, masters in engineering science (Penn State) and bachelors in mechanical engineering (Drexel).
RELATED TOPICS
SOFTWARE
3D Design
videos
SEE MORE LIKE THIS
Was the OceanGate Sub Implosion an Engineering Failure?
The Titan Submersible: A Little Testing Wouldn’t Have Killed Them
What The Titanic Sub Disaster Can Teach Us About Carbon Composites
Ill-Fated Titan Submersible Was Based on an Unproven Design
Bluefin-21 Dives Deep in Search of Malaysia Flight 370

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<3dd62c5d-5cb2-473c-9335-ce1e604fc508n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69200&group=soc.culture.polish#69200

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Pełne_wyjaśnienie,_dlaczego_Titan_nurkujący_d
o_Titanica_zostal_zgnieciony
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:21 UTC

On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 13:11:55 UTC+2, a a wrote:
> [...]
> RELATED TOPICS
> SOFTWARE
> 3D Design
> videos
> SEE MORE LIKE THIS
> Was the OceanGate Sub Implosion an Engineering Failure?
> The Titan Submersible: A Little Testing Wouldn’t Have Killed Them
> What The Titanic Sub Disaster Can Teach Us About Carbon Composites
> Ill-Fated Titan Submersible Was Based on an Unproven Design
> Bluefin-21 Dives Deep in Search of Malaysia Flight 370
>

> Copyright 2023 engineering.com

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<a562693e-8337-402d-ad65-8d1936145224n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69201&group=soc.culture.polish#69201

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
o_Titanica_zostal_zgnieciony
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:25 UTC

> [...]
> RELATED TOPICS
> SOFTWARE
> 3D Design
> videos
> SEE MORE LIKE THIS
> Was the OceanGate Sub Implosion an Engineering Failure?
> The Titan Submersible: A Little Testing Wouldn’t Have Killed Them
> What The Titanic Sub Disaster Can Teach Us About Carbon Composites
> Ill-Fated Titan Submersible Was Based on an Unproven Design
> Bluefin-21 Dives Deep in Search of Malaysia Flight 370
>

> Copyright 2023 engineering.com

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<34b568a9-0c0f-48a1-af23-259483b1cd34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69204&group=soc.culture.polish#69204

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 05:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
o_Titanica_zostal_zgnieciony
From: narcia...@gmail.com (narc...@gmail.com)
 by: narc...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:40 UTC

w ryj jebany skurwysynu spierdalaj!

Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<17cccf3a-02a6-492b-99c2-5aded8101883n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69210&group=soc.culture.polish#69210

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 05:44:08 -0700 (PDT)
o_Titanica_zostal_zgnieciony
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:44 UTC

On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 14:40:30 UTC+2, narc...@gmail.com wrote:
> w ryj jebany skurwysynu spierdalaj!

niestety
choroba umysłowa się pogłębia

Re: Pełne wyjaśnienie, dlaczego Titan nurkujący do Titanica zostal zgnieciony

<903762e1-66b9-4d88-b78f-743771c1a5bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69214&group=soc.culture.polish#69214

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish