Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 09:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
<a16889ee-2212-43b0-8349-6eef4b963891n@googlegroups.com> <9694b857-e71c-4dfc-8129-6f65cea62bb0n@googlegroups.com>
<bc0230b4-83f0-4b61-8115-b3c28e82b337n@googlegroups.com> <c7599211-36cd-4b68-977c-8d6176e53198n@googlegroups.com>
<17d4caf8-83ec-4c42-8c44-34e8f627efb0n@googlegroups.com> <577816b1-1d3a-4631-8faf-b00a85a493f5n@googlegroups.com>
<ff3e1d0c-f231-4386-834d-78903efa2069n@googlegroups.com> <b489a21b-a7dc-4ac8-9b64-2f42f0926091n@googlegroups.com>
<5dbde1f3-bb8d-4b8d-adeb-f15c3a19b070n@googlegroups.com> <928ebc47-f49d-472c-bfb2-1a1e3a8d147fn@googlegroups.com>
<6f085746-551a-453b-ac11-5423a50da326n@googlegroups.com> <8be76722-daae-407b-82aa-da5d17c14a0an@googlegroups.com>
<ia7vlbFrgbmU1@mid.individual.net> <45dcc462-2e72-45c3-b3f6-d9c5583e342fn@googlegroups.com>
<81a7d488-bb0c-4a08-94de-2bf2c917536dn@googlegroups.com> <133c8654-6078-4557-94f7-c94764b616fen@googlegroups.com>
<ic7e1dFbch0U1@mid.individual.net> <e0c2bc2e-69fe-48a3-9038-02acbc300d07n@googlegroups.com>
<7ace4f4c-f5c9-43f6-bd4c-78c57d1fcf45n@googlegroups.com> <1e041221-12c0-467d-9ba0-0531eb6812den@googlegroups.com>
<ed479eed-7a42-4e49-9e69-10122bfa5a6dn@googlegroups.com> <a49ab74d-5cef-407a-a7ce-569af323fe6en@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Miniatures are the best
From: nastyhor...@gmail.com (Eli Kesef)
 by: Eli Kesef - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:39 UTC

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:53:40 PM UTC+3, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 2:54:03 PM UTC+3, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > Bs"d
> >
> > And here somebody fell victim to the mate of Legal: https://lichess.org/uapS8Nf4eQkR
> >
> > I offered him my queen, he accepted, after which I took his king.
> >
> > Of course nobody is obligated to study opening traps, but punishment comes after the sin.
> >
> > Just saying.
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/queen-sac-striking
> Bs"d
>
> A word of warning concerning the mate of Legal.
>
> If somebody wants to play that queen sacrifice, and after the preliminary moves: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 d6 4. Nc3 Bg4 he wants to smack his horse into e5, he must know that chess is not checkers, meaning that the opponent is not obligated to take his queen. If the opponents ignores the queen, but instead play Nxe5, then white is a horse down.
> White can then take the bishop on g4, but then black takes the unprotected bishop on c4, and white remains a horse down.
> And that is the reason that on move 5 I didn't let my horse smack in on e5, but I played the crucial move h3. After that the enemy retreated his bishop to h5, and then the coast was clear for my horse smacking in on e5, and thereby sacrificing the queen. Still black can refuse the queen, and take the white horse on e5 with his horse from c6. But then the white queen takes the bishop on h5. And then still the black horse on e5 can take the unprotected bishop on c4, but now there is a cure. Because now the white queen on h5 moves to b5, and says "check!" Not only gives the queen check, but it now also attacks the unprotected black horse on c4, and no matter how black gets out of the check, the next move the white queen takes the black horse, and white remains a pawn up.
>
> So the move 5. h3 is absolutely crucial, because the mate of Legal is quite well known, and if you try it against somebody who knows it, and you don't play first h3, you most likely will be a horse down.
>
> And that's bad,
>
> So know your theory, and you'll be fine, and even win regularly a nice miniature, like the one above of 8 moves.
>
> Good luck!
>
> https://tinyurl.com/Q-trap-thank-U

Bs"d

How critical the move h3 is when you want to play the mate of Legal, is clearly demonstrated by this game: https://lichess.org/aoPP8fAFo70Y
Here I went for the mate of Legal, but the enemy refused to accept my kind offer of a queen, and instead he took my horse on e5 with his horse. So I took his bishop in h5, after which he had the audacity to take my bishop on c4.
Now if I would not have played first the move h3, then at this point I would have been down a horse. But thanks to my prophylactic h3, now my queen could switch over to the other side of the board, to b5, give a check there, and at the same time attack the offending horse on c4.
And no matter how the enemy would want to stop the check, I would catch his horse, and be a pawn up in a better position.
So a timely h3 is the difference between being a horse down or being a pawn up with a better position.

This guy must be having a problem with accepting queen sacrifices, because the second time I sacrificed my queen, on move 19, he also refused to take it.
Not that that last refusal did him any good, I got one more move to play and then he run out of the game without resigning.

No harm done, because Lichess sent me the following message: "Your opponent left the game. You can claim victory in 9 seconds."
And when the guy runs away without resigning, than at least you know the guy is pissed. And that is what chess is all about, isn't it?

https://tinyurl.com/break-ego