From: e3146cd1...@example.com (Painter_Paul)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Minwax Date Codes
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 01:45:03 +0000
 by: Painter_Paul - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 01:45 UTC

The 040 is the batch number and the last three is the number can filled by that batch. If there would happen to be a problem with a product they will remove all of that batch from stores. They know exactly how many cans they filled from that specific batch. Just a FYI I am a painting contractor of 24 years and I have ran into a exact situation with minwax before Sherwin Williams bought the company. It's still the same way today the numbers except you will see a 4 digit number with SCW underneath the batch number. That is coding for Sherwin Williams.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/minwax-date-codes-543580-.htm