Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

SubjectAuthor
* Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsMichael
+* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsLeon
|`* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsJohn McGaw
| `- Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsClare Snyder
+* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolskrw
|`* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsMarkem618
| +* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolskrw
| |`- Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsMarkem618
| +* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsBob Davis
| |`* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolskrw
| | `* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsBob Davis
| |  `- Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolskrw
| `* Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsMichael
|  `- Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolskrw
`- Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on toolsPuckdropper

1
Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<960f59f7-d91d-4137-89b0-1e16cd701d94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6960&group=rec.woodworking#6960

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools
From: michaeld...@gmail.com (Michael)
 by: Michael - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 14:41 UTC

Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<hLidndkQpNOqnjv_nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6962&group=rec.woodworking#6962

Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 10:16:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:16 UTC

On 6/12/2022 9:41 AM, Michael wrote:
> Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I may be wrong but ultrasonic cleaners remove dirt, not oxidation. It
may remove loose rust but probably not surface rust. It will likely
not get down to the metal surface.

You might ask at a jewelry store. They might be able to tell you what
their ultrasonic cleaners will remove.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<kDnpK.16490$gjlb.16244@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6963&group=rec.woodworking#6963

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: Nob...@Nowh.ere (John McGaw)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:29:17 -0400
 by: John McGaw - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:29 UTC

On 6/12/2022 11:16 AM, Leon wrote:
> On 6/12/2022 9:41 AM, Michael wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools?
>> It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>

> I may be wrong but ultrasonic cleaners remove dirt, not oxidation.   It may
> remove loose rust but probably not surface rust.   It will likely not get
> down to the metal surface.
>
> You might ask at a jewelry store.  They might be able to tell you what
> their ultrasonic cleaners will remove.

What gets removed is really a function of whatever cleaning solution is
being used -- the ultrasonics just accelerate the activity. Cleaning
jewelry calls for a mild detergent. Cleaning rust would require a chemical
concoction that attacks rust and there are many on the market. Of course
most of the commercial rust removers are pretty aggressive and usually
don't need much more than soaking the metal for a while and then a scrub
with a stiff brush followed by a rinse and dry.

--
Noli sinere pessimi nequissimique te tristificare!

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<65jcaht3rl6gb6ppgt2u40q82jkjloe5ma@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6965&group=rec.woodworking#6965

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:35 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
<michaeldwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/

How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
It does blacken the surface though.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<65pcah1ogcdpkp3o9egk9pnp8uut2tc5cp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6966&group=rec.woodworking#6966

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:14:14 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 22:14 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
><michaeldwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
>>
>How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
>stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
>rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
>or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
>It does blacken the surface though.

Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<2d2dah1brts3bqdvnmm0vqanml20n732pm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6969&group=rec.woodworking#6969

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:06:48 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 01:06 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:14:14 -0500, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
>><michaeldwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>>>
>>>https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
>>>
>>How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
>>stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
>>rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
>>or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
>>It does blacken the surface though.
>
>Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.

Electrolysis will plate or deplate the surface, either adding or
removing material. Sometimes that's the right answer. Conversion
doesn't remove or add to the metal, rather replaces the oxygen atom
for a different atom in the metal. Sometimes that matters, sometimes
not.

Iron oxide is porous and will continue until there is no more iron to
oxidize. If it's removed, the oxidation will continue on the exposed
metal. The converted forms aren't porous and will prevent/resist
further oxidation.

Conversion only allows Model-T colors (any you want, as long as it's
black). Plating can do pretty much anything, as we know.

Again, what is the goal? Sometimes a Brillo pad is the right answer.
It's what I do on my cast iron tables.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<rc5dah5pjnre7mtnbm9re7jc0md1jdfraj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6970&group=rec.woodworking#6970

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:41:59 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 01:41 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:06:48 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:14:14 -0500, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>>>How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
>>>stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
>>>rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
>>>or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
>>>It does blacken the surface though.
>>
>>Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.
>
>Electrolysis will plate or deplate the surface, either adding or
>removing material. Sometimes that's the right answer. Conversion
>doesn't remove or add to the metal, rather replaces the oxygen atom
>for a different atom in the metal. Sometimes that matters, sometimes
>not.
>
>Iron oxide is porous and will continue until there is no more iron to
>oxidize. If it's removed, the oxidation will continue on the exposed
>metal. The converted forms aren't porous and will prevent/resist
>further oxidation.
>
>Conversion only allows Model-T colors (any you want, as long as it's
>black). Plating can do pretty much anything, as we know.
>
>Again, what is the goal? Sometimes a Brillo pad is the right answer.
>It's what I do on my cast iron tables.

My general go to to clean surface rust WD40 and 0000 steel wool.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<c6BpK.223228$zgr9.171491@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6971&group=rec.woodworking#6971

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 06:49:44 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 06:49 UTC

Michael <michaeldwilson2@gmail.com> wrote in

> Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off
> tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/
> B01NCJ0N6O/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I have, it took forever. I had to run the parts through several 8-minute
cycles (max of the tool) to make anything happen. I was using just hot
water.

Evaporust worked much better.

Puckdropper

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<67057c6e-d6de-4a94-bf1c-287ce9e56b73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6976&group=rec.woodworking#6976

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:58 UTC

On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:14:36 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
> ><michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
> >>
> >>https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
> >>
> >How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
> >stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
> >rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
> >or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
> >It does blacken the surface though.
> Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.

I built an electrolysis setup years ago. I have had 100% success with it. I believe it gets into nooks and crannies better than a wire brush and steel wool. I like the idea that it requires no elbow grease.

Bob

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<4ovfahpdme0367gnn8gougvcmbko2bs4mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=rec.woodworking#6983

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:23:31 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:23 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:29:17 -0400, John McGaw <Nobody@Nowh.ere>
wrote:

>On 6/12/2022 11:16 AM, Leon wrote:
>> On 6/12/2022 9:41 AM, Michael wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools?
>>> It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>

>> I may be wrong but ultrasonic cleaners remove dirt, not oxidation.   It may
>> remove loose rust but probably not surface rust.   It will likely not get
>> down to the metal surface.
>>
>> You might ask at a jewelry store.  They might be able to tell you what
>> their ultrasonic cleaners will remove.
>
>What gets removed is really a function of whatever cleaning solution is
>being used -- the ultrasonics just accelerate the activity. Cleaning
>jewelry calls for a mild detergent. Cleaning rust would require a chemical
>concoction that attacks rust and there are many on the market. Of course
>most of the commercial rust removers are pretty aggressive and usually
>don't need much more than soaking the metal for a while and then a scrub
>with a stiff brush followed by a rinse and dry.
Use Enviro Rust. The ultrasonic will speed it up somewhat.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<a47hahpmgknvrlusr5iuiq409380sdqbq3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6991&group=rec.woodworking#6991

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:37:04 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:37 UTC

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:58:49 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
<wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:14:36 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>> >How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
>> >stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
>> >rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
>> >or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
>> >It does blacken the surface though.
>> Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.
>
>I built an electrolysis setup years ago. I have had 100% success with it. I believe it gets into nooks and crannies better than a wire brush and steel wool. I like the idea that it requires no elbow grease.

It still removes material, much like the wire brush. A strong acid
will do the same. These might matter in those nooks and crannies
(bearings, ways, ...).

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<630cea74-1e3b-48cb-9955-43dbcee8a400n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6996&group=rec.woodworking#6996

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:23 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 9:37:09 AM UTC-5, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:58:49 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
> <wrober...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.
> >
> >I built an electrolysis setup years ago. I have had 100% success with it.. I believe it gets into nooks and crannies better than a wire brush and steel wool. I like the idea that it requires no elbow grease.
> It still removes material, much like the wire brush. A strong acid
> will do the same. These might matter in those nooks and crannies
> (bearings, ways, ...).

Can you give an example of an object that has bearings, ways, etc that might be of interest for removing rust? I've never put anything like that in electrolysis. If it has fine machined surfaces, I will be concerned with preserving that and probably not trying to remove cosmetic rust.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<flgiah1u3fsir9i5pr6r7di33vbhval5ca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6999&group=rec.woodworking#6999

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:26:30 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:26 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:23:45 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
<wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 9:37:09 AM UTC-5, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:58:49 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
>> <wrober...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I built an electrolysis setup years ago. I have had 100% success with it. I believe it gets into nooks and crannies better than a wire brush and steel wool. I like the idea that it requires no elbow grease.
>> It still removes material, much like the wire brush. A strong acid
>> will do the same. These might matter in those nooks and crannies
>> (bearings, ways, ...).
>
>Can you give an example of an object that has bearings, ways, etc that might be of interest for removing rust? I've never put anything like that in electrolysis. If it has fine machined surfaces, I will be concerned with preserving that and probably not trying to remove cosmetic rust.

Bearings: pliers, ways:jointers, Screws: planes.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<6860eaa1-7170-43e6-96d1-e5e60d2076edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7038&group=rec.woodworking#7038

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaeld...@gmail.com (Michael)
 by: Michael - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 01:33 UTC

On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:14:36 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
> ><michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone tried using ultrasonic cleaners to knock the rust off tools? It looks like an easy way to do it, if it works.
> >>
> >>https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/
> >>
> >How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
> >stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
> >rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
> >or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
> >It does blacken the surface though.
> Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.

I'm going to try electrolysis to get rid of rust on some tools. I paid 25 bucks for a used car battery charger with a 2 amp trickle charge that should work. I have a question, though. What do you do with the sodium carbonate/rust water? Is it hazardous?

Thanks.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners on tools

<0tn9bh584t6c5blohpdpqj5tekm2nlrprr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7040&group=rec.woodworking#7040

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:54:19 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 21:54 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:33:06 -0700 (PDT), Michael
<michaeldwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:14:36 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:35:45 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>> >How about Coke? Phosphoric or tannic acid will convert rust to a more
>> >stable form. The advantage is that they don't actually remove metal,
>> >rather convert it from iron oxide to the more stable ferric phosphate
>> >or ferric tannate. Most acids will remove the rust, etching the metal.
>> >It does blacken the surface though.
>> Electroysis is another way if you have a good dc power supply.
>
>I'm going to try electrolysis to get rid of rust on some tools. I paid 25 bucks for a used car battery charger with a 2 amp trickle charge that should work. I have a question, though. What do you do with the sodium carbonate/rust water? Is it hazardous?

No, not in the concentration or volume you're talking about (it is a
pretty strong base). There probably is some greenie out there who
will clutch their pearls and scream at you for polluting the planet or
causing global warming, or some other nonsense.