Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxDMF
+- Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxBob Davis
`* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxLeon
 +- Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxLeon
 `* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimaxkrw
  +- Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxScott Lurndal
  +* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimaxkrw
  |`- Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxLeon
  `* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxLeon
   `* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimaxkrw
    `* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxLeon
     `* Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimaxkrw
      `- Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or MinimaxDerbyDad03

1
Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<16f97e638b99e096$2$1607696$4086ded3@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7008&group=rec.woodworking#7008

From: e8cba3d7...@example.com (DMF)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 19:15:04 +0000
 by: DMF - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 19:15 UTC

I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I was also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a 3 HP motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2 models have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of the brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital motor control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local reseller told me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is soft and prone to wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron trunnion.Anyone out there able to confirm of refute this? I think the Bridgewood is discontinued as I couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book says it is Imported by Wilke Machinery of York, PA)

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/okay-bandsaws-again-bridgewood-laguna-or-minimax-169765-.htm

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<a229f69d-4f91-4a0d-8b42-a84406f96321n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7029&group=rec.woodworking#7029

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 07:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 14:51 UTC

On Friday, June 17, 2022 at 2:15:08 PM UTC-5, DMF wrote:
> I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I was also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a 3 HP motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2 models have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of the brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital motor control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local reseller told me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is soft and prone to wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron trunnion.Anyone out there able to confirm of refute this? I think the Bridgewood is discontinued as I couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book says it is Imported by Wilke Machinery of York, PA)
>
> --
> For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/okay-bandsaws-again-bridgewood-laguna-or-minimax-169765-.htm

Rikon and Laguna are in different leagues, with the Laguna being better.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<8Z6dnS-BAL8Ufiz_nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7030&group=rec.woodworking#7030

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:28:08 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:28 UTC

On 6/17/2022 2:15 PM, DMF wrote:
> I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I was
> also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a 3 HP
> motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2 models
> have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of the
> brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital motor
> control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local reseller told
> me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is soft and prone to
> wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron trunnion.Anyone out there able to
> confirm of refute this? I think the Bridgewood is discontinued as I
> couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book says it
> is Imported by Wilke Machinery of York, PA)

Well you are not really mentioning models. I owned a Rikon for a bout
2 weeks several years ago. I was greatly disappointed. I HATE roller
guides. My experience is that the roller guides get gummed up when
cutting wet wood. And then there is great noise and vibration when that
happens. I was constantly readjusting guides and tension with this saw.
I returned the Rikon 18" band saw.

I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw. Laguna band saws have
ceramic guides that keep the blade clean. And be aware that there are
2~3 lines of Laguna band saws. The better ones, like the one I
mentioned are Italian made. The non Italian built models are likely
Asian built.
My Laguna has cast iron trunions. The only lite weight metal is the
aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.

FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.

If you are concerned about wear of a white metal trunion you are likely
wanting something to last for many years with quite a bit of use. So
was I. Rikon was not going to be my last saw. The Laguna is my last
saw, the Italian Industrial made versions.

When I bought 12+ years ago the Laguna was only about twice the price of
the 18" Rikon.

Band saws can be very fussy. The better the saw the less adjusting you do.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<gJadnc7Z4LK5eyz_nZ2dnUU7-UednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7031&group=rec.woodworking#7031

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:39:16 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:39 UTC

On 6/21/2022 10:28 AM, Leon wrote:
> On 6/17/2022 2:15 PM, DMF wrote:
>> I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I
>> was also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a
>> 3 HP motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2
>> models have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of
>> the brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital
>> motor control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local
>> reseller told me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is
>> soft and prone to wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron
>> trunnion.Anyone out there able to confirm of refute this? I think the
>> Bridgewood is discontinued as I couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark
>> Duginske's Bandsaw book says it is Imported by Wilke Machinery of
>> York, PA)
>>

> Well you are not really mentioning models.   I owned a Rikon for a bout
> 2 weeks several years ago.   I was greatly disappointed.   I HATE roller
> guides.   My experience is that the roller guides get gummed up when
> cutting wet wood.  And then there is great noise and vibration when that
> happens.  I was constantly readjusting guides and tension with this saw.
>  I returned the Rikon 18" band saw.
>
> I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw.   Laguna band saws have
> ceramic guides that keep the blade clean.   And be aware that there are
> 2~3 lines of Laguna band saws.   The better ones, like the one I
> mentioned are Italian made.   The non Italian built models are likely
> Asian built.
> My Laguna has cast iron trunions.   The only lite weight metal is the
> aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.
>

> FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.
>

> If you are concerned about wear of a white metal trunion you are likely
> wanting something to last for many years with quite a bit of use.  So
> was I.   Rikon was not going to be my last saw.   The Laguna is my last
> saw, the Italian Industrial made versions.
>
> When I bought 12+ years ago the Laguna was only about twice the price of
> the 18" Rikon.
>
> Band saws can be very fussy.   The better the saw the less adjusting you
> do.

OK, a follow up on Rikon band saws, it appears that they do offer a
heavier line of machines. They in fact very closely resemble the
Italian Laguna band saws, found in their industrial section. Still the
Laguna ceramic guides IMHO are a superior guide to any roller guide.

Laguna may still offer their guides for other saws.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<7nr4bh1lh7tjhuerem7amcbgr1mdqvnill@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7032&group=rec.woodworking#7032

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 21:44:54 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 01:44 UTC

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:28:08 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 6/17/2022 2:15 PM, DMF wrote:
>> I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I was
>> also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a 3 HP
>> motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2 models
>> have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of the
>> brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital motor
>> control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local reseller told
>> me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is soft and prone to
>> wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron trunnion.Anyone out there able to
>> confirm of refute this? I think the Bridgewood is discontinued as I
>> couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book says it
>> is Imported by Wilke Machinery of York, PA)
>>

>Well you are not really mentioning models. I owned a Rikon for a bout
>2 weeks several years ago. I was greatly disappointed. I HATE roller
>guides. My experience is that the roller guides get gummed up when
>cutting wet wood. And then there is great noise and vibration when that
>happens. I was constantly readjusting guides and tension with this saw.
> I returned the Rikon 18" band saw.

I was going to buy a Rikon (don't remember the model) then looked at
the Laguna 14-SUV. It was a much better saw for little more than a
higher-end Rikon. When I was ready to buy, it seemed that the 14-SUV
went away (couldn't find one, anyway). I ended up buying an 18-BX.

>I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw. Laguna band saws have
>ceramic guides that keep the blade clean. And be aware that there are
>2~3 lines of Laguna band saws. The better ones, like the one I
>mentioned are Italian made. The non Italian built models are likely
>Asian built.

Yes, they're from Taiwan.

>My Laguna has cast iron trunions. The only lite weight metal is the
>aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.
>

>FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.

I bought the bandsaw from Laguna via Amazon but bought my jointer from
Woodwerks. Even though it was a drop-shipped from Laguna, their
shipping was less and they didn't charge sales tax (shhh! Don't tell
anyone). That was a year ago. Don't know how they operate now.

I recently visited their brick and mortar store in Columbus OH. Nice
place.

>If you are concerned about wear of a white metal trunion you are likely
>wanting something to last for many years with quite a bit of use. So
>was I. Rikon was not going to be my last saw. The Laguna is my last
>saw, the Italian Industrial made versions.

Cast wheels, too. The only thing I don't like about the Laguna is the
mobility kit. It's an add-on ($$) and a three-point system. The front
swivel wheel lifts the front and the saw off its pads onto the rear
wheels (a little hard to adjust, at first). It's not the greatest
system. I think the Rikon tow bar is a better idea.

>When I bought 12+ years ago the Laguna was only about twice the price of
>the 18" Rikon.

Only? Laguna had a huge price increase last fall. The 18-BX went up
$400, IIRC. The jointer. $500 (I ordered in June so slipped under the
wire). They're not like Festool with its 5%, or so, annual increase.

>Band saws can be very fussy. The better the saw the less adjusting you do.\

Tracking (then blade changing) is the big deal. The ceramic guides
can be a pain but once they're adjusted they're great.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<Q4GsK.339427$zgr9.105756@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7033&group=rec.woodworking#7033

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 14:56:48 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 14:56 UTC

krw@notreal.com writes:
>On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:28:08 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>wrote:
>

>>I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw. Laguna band saws have
>>ceramic guides that keep the blade clean. And be aware that there are
>>2~3 lines of Laguna band saws. The better ones, like the one I
>>mentioned are Italian made. The non Italian built models are likely
>>Asian built.
>
>Yes, they're from Taiwan.

My LT16 (2007ish) was made in Bulgaria.

>>My Laguna has cast iron trunions. The only lite weight metal is the
>>aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.
>>

>>FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.

I bought mine directly from Laguna. Likewise the horizontal
mortiser.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<h8c6bh1graq447qmu35ap9lnudo9c1b3l3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7034&group=rec.woodworking#7034

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:12:54 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:12 UTC

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 21:44:54 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:28:08 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/17/2022 2:15 PM, DMF wrote:
>>> I was looking at a Laugna as well because it had the brake system. I was
>>> also looking at the Nikon 14" model as well. Their PRO model has a 3 HP
>>> motor which I think is overkill on a 14inch model, the other 2 models
>>> have 1.75 HP which should be plenty. I really liked the idea of the
>>> brake system, but with the Rikon you could go with the digital motor
>>> control option and you'd have electronic braking. A local reseller told
>>> me that the Laguna has a white metal trunnion which is soft and prone to
>>> wear, while the Laguna has a cast iron trunnion.Anyone out there able to
>>> confirm of refute this? I think the Bridgewood is discontinued as I
>>> couldn't find any info onlineDMF (Mark Duginske's Bandsaw book says it
>>> is Imported by Wilke Machinery of York, PA)
>>>

>>Well you are not really mentioning models. I owned a Rikon for a bout
>>2 weeks several years ago. I was greatly disappointed. I HATE roller
>>guides. My experience is that the roller guides get gummed up when
>>cutting wet wood. And then there is great noise and vibration when that
>>happens. I was constantly readjusting guides and tension with this saw.
>> I returned the Rikon 18" band saw.
>
>I was going to buy a Rikon (don't remember the model) then looked at
>the Laguna 14-SUV. It was a much better saw for little more than a
>higher-end Rikon. When I was ready to buy, it seemed that the 14-SUV
>went away (couldn't find one, anyway). I ended up buying an 18-BX.
>
>>I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw. Laguna band saws have
>>ceramic guides that keep the blade clean. And be aware that there are
>>2~3 lines of Laguna band saws. The better ones, like the one I
>>mentioned are Italian made. The non Italian built models are likely
>>Asian built.
>
>Yes, they're from Taiwan.
>
>>My Laguna has cast iron trunions. The only lite weight metal is the
>>aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.
>>

>>FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.
>
>I bought the bandsaw from Laguna via Amazon but bought my jointer from
>Woodwerks. Even though it was a drop-shipped from Laguna, their
>shipping was less and they didn't charge sales tax (shhh! Don't tell
>anyone). That was a year ago. Don't know how they operate now.
>
>I recently visited their brick and mortar store in Columbus OH. Nice
>place.

BTW, though it may not be practical for many stationary tools, if you
order from a Woodcraft store and pick it up, there is no shipping
charge.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<2ridnSDuHcd0yy7_nZ2dnUU7-YXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7035&group=rec.woodworking#7035

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:52:40 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:52 UTC

On 6/21/2022 8:44 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> [...]
> shipping was less and they didn't charge sales tax (shhh! Don't tell
> anyone). That was a year ago. Don't know how they operate now.
>
> I recently visited their brick and mortar store in Columbus OH. Nice
> place.
>>
>> If you are concerned about wear of a white metal trunion you are likely
>> wanting something to last for many years with quite a bit of use. So
>> was I. Rikon was not going to be my last saw. The Laguna is my last
>> saw, the Italian Industrial made versions.
>
> Cast wheels, too. The only thing I don't like about the Laguna is the
> mobility kit. It's an add-on ($$) and a three-point system. The front
> swivel wheel lifts the front and the saw off its pads onto the rear
> wheels (a little hard to adjust, at first). It's not the greatest
> system. I think the Rikon tow bar is a better idea.

My mobility kit is 2 wheels, left front and left back, and a Johnson bar
to lift and pull/push from the right side. It works.

>> When I bought 12+ years ago the Laguna was only about twice the price of
>> the 18" Rikon.
>
> Only? Laguna had a huge price increase last fall. The 18-BX went up
> $400, IIRC. The jointer. $500 (I ordered in June so slipped under the
> wire). They're not like Festool with its 5%, or so, annual increase.

Well the 18" Rikon was $999.99 + tax, about $1082.50, the Laguna with
mobility, ReSaw King blade and 5~6 additional blades and delivery/tax,
was $2600 total. That saw today is $5100 for the saw and delivery.
Plus Tax, mobility and any other blades.

>> Band saws can be very fussy. The better the saw the less adjusting you do.\
>
> Tracking (then blade changing) is the big deal. The ceramic guides
> can be a pain but once they're adjusted they're great.

With mine the guides only have to be close. I have never noticed any
difference in cutting quality from one blade to the next. I think if
tracking/guide adjustment was critical I would at least notice a
difference some o the time.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<sOKdnaV50u9GxC7_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7036&group=rec.woodworking#7036

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:05:15 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:05 UTC

On 6/22/2022 10:12 AM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 21:44:54 -0400, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:28:08 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>>> Well you are not really mentioning models. I owned a Rikon for a bout
>>> 2 weeks several years ago. I was greatly disappointed. I HATE roller
>>> guides. My experience is that the roller guides get gummed up when
>>> cutting wet wood. And then there is great noise and vibration when that
>>> happens. I was constantly readjusting guides and tension with this saw.
>>> I returned the Rikon 18" band saw.
>>
>> I was going to buy a Rikon (don't remember the model) then looked at
>> the Laguna 14-SUV. It was a much better saw for little more than a
>> higher-end Rikon. When I was ready to buy, it seemed that the 14-SUV
>> went away (couldn't find one, anyway). I ended up buying an 18-BX.
>>
>>> I soon after bought a Laguna LT16HD band saw. Laguna band saws have
>>> ceramic guides that keep the blade clean. And be aware that there are
>>> 2~3 lines of Laguna band saws. The better ones, like the one I
>>> mentioned are Italian made. The non Italian built models are likely
>>> Asian built.
>>
>> Yes, they're from Taiwan.
>>
>>> My Laguna has cast iron trunions. The only lite weight metal is the
>>> aluminum fence and the aluminum guide blocks.
>>>

>>> FWIW you can or could buy direct from Laguna.
>>
>> I bought the bandsaw from Laguna via Amazon but bought my jointer from
>> Woodwerks. Even though it was a drop-shipped from Laguna, their
>> shipping was less and they didn't charge sales tax (shhh! Don't tell
>> anyone). That was a year ago. Don't know how they operate now.
>>
>> I recently visited their brick and mortar store in Columbus OH. Nice
>> place.
>
> BTW, though it may not be practical for many stationary tools, if you
> order from a Woodcraft store and pick it up, there is no shipping
> charge.

There is that! Around Thanksgiving 2020 I was going to buy a Hammer
12" or 16" combo planer jointer. Pricey machine then but shipping was
about a 6 month wait and shipping was $500 for the 16 and $455 for the 12.

AND NO GUARANTEE OF A LIFT GATE DELIVERY.

I went with the Jet 12" combo from WoodCraft, it was on sale at about
$3650, about $2,000 less than the Hammer. I am very happy with it.
Very quiet compared to my old 15" Delta planer.

So Laguna has a store in Columbus?

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<2g57bhhvvf2s89co0mkfmtlmho3jtp7jru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7037&group=rec.woodworking#7037

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:29:33 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 22:29 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:52:40 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

> [...]
>> swivel wheel lifts the front and the saw off its pads onto the rear
>> wheels (a little hard to adjust, at first). It's not the greatest
>> system. I think the Rikon tow bar is a better idea.
>
>My mobility kit is 2 wheels, left front and left back, and a Johnson bar
>to lift and pull/push from the right side. It works.

>>> When I bought 12+ years ago the Laguna was only about twice the price of
>>> the 18" Rikon.
>>
>> Only? Laguna had a huge price increase last fall. The 18-BX went up
>> $400, IIRC. The jointer. $500 (I ordered in June so slipped under the
>> wire). They're not like Festool with its 5%, or so, annual increase.
>
>Well the 18" Rikon was $999.99 + tax, about $1082.50, the Laguna with
>mobility, ReSaw King blade and 5~6 additional blades and delivery/tax,
>was $2600 total. That saw today is $5100 for the saw and delivery.
>Plus Tax, mobility and any other blades.

I paid about $2K for the 18-BX. They had a 10% sale. We're not
likely to see that again anytime soon.

>>> Band saws can be very fussy. The better the saw the less adjusting you do.\
>>
>> Tracking (then blade changing) is the big deal. The ceramic guides
>> can be a pain but once they're adjusted they're great.
>
>With mine the guides only have to be close. I have never noticed any
>difference in cutting quality from one blade to the next. I think if
>tracking/guide adjustment was critical I would at least notice a
>difference some o the time.

What I meant was that tracking and ease of blade changes are one of
the biggest differences between a good bandsaw and an also ran. The
saw has to have a pretty stiff spine to hold tracking, particularly
across blades.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<vKSdnU8ZXat25in_nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7039&group=rec.woodworking#7039

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:42:50 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:42 UTC

On 6/22/2022 5:29 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
Snip

> What I meant was that tracking and ease of blade changes are one of
> the biggest differences between a good bandsaw and an also ran. The
> saw has to have a pretty stiff spine to hold tracking, particularly
> across blades.

Absolutely! Many saws will bend/give to the strain of a properly
tensioned 1.25" blade.

And yes, switching blades can be time consuming.

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<ibo9bhh9hpbnbmi2in6ci2guobu3fjoauq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7041&group=rec.woodworking#7041

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 18:00:51 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:00 UTC

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:42:50 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 6/22/2022 5:29 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>Snip
>

>> What I meant was that tracking and ease of blade changes are one of
>> the biggest differences between a good bandsaw and an also ran. The
>> saw has to have a pretty stiff spine to hold tracking, particularly
>> across blades.
>

>Absolutely! Many saws will bend/give to the strain of a properly
>tensioned 1.25" blade.
>

>And yes, switching blades can be time consuming.

But a 1-1/4" Resaw King doesn't scroll worth squat. ;-)

Re: Okay...Bandsaws again...Bridgewood, Laguna, or Minimax

<61d13d79-67ab-4147-811d-98f0416e24bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7042&group=rec.woodworking#7042

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 19:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 02:45 UTC

On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 6:00:54 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:42:50 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
> >On 6/22/2022 5:29 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> >Snip
> >

> >> What I meant was that tracking and ease of blade changes are one of
> >> the biggest differences between a good bandsaw and an also ran. The
> >> saw has to have a pretty stiff spine to hold tracking, particularly
> >> across blades.
> >

> >Absolutely! Many saws will bend/give to the strain of a properly
> >tensioned 1.25" blade.
> >

> >And yes, switching blades can be time consuming.
> But a 1-1/4" Resaw King doesn't scroll worth squat. ;-)

You just have to make really wide turns. 1-1/4" should handle
a 10" radius fairly easily. ;-)