Who does not trust enough will not be trusted. -- Lao Tsu

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

SubjectAuthor
* Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Dan Purgert
+* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(songbird
|`- Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Dan Purgert
`* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Robert666
 `* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Dan Purgert
  `* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(songbird
   `* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Snag
    `* Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(Dan Purgert
     `- Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(songbird

1
Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<slrnu90veb.f1p.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=702&group=rec.gardens.edible#702

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:08:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:08 UTC

Checking on my potato plants this morning, it seems they might've been
in the early stages of some kind of infection. Some of the leaves are
starting to have little black spots all over.

Pruned all this infected(?) growth back ... hopefully that helps, and it
doesn't turn out that the severity of the pruning stresses / weakens the
plants further, there's still months to go before they're supposed to be
"ready" :(

Any ideas if I might have a chance to salvage the plants?

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<fbf7mj-dvb.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=704&group=rec.gardens.edible#704

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:26:23 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 02:26 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> Checking on my potato plants this morning, it seems they might've been
> in the early stages of some kind of infection. Some of the leaves are
> starting to have little black spots all over.
>
> Pruned all this infected(?) growth back ... hopefully that helps, and it
> doesn't turn out that the severity of the pruning stresses / weakens the
> plants further, there's still months to go before they're supposed to be
> "ready" :(
>
> Any ideas if I might have a chance to salvage the plants?

i have no idea about potatoes other than some vague
knowledge.

have you grown potatoes in that same space before?
do you rotate your plantings to avoid diseases being
able to persist?

has it been hot and dry or wet and cool or ?

did you apply compost or use some other amendments
or fertilizers or sprays?

it has been rather dry here, if i'd not been able to
water i'd not have much of a garden at all right now.

songbird

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<slrnu92rla.f1p.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=705&group=rec.gardens.edible#705

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:16:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:16 UTC

On 2023-06-20, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> Checking on my potato plants this morning, it seems they might've been
>> in the early stages of some kind of infection. Some of the leaves are
>> starting to have little black spots all over.
>>
>> Pruned all this infected(?) growth back ... hopefully that helps, and it
>> doesn't turn out that the severity of the pruning stresses / weakens the
>> plants further, there's still months to go before they're supposed to be
>> "ready" :(
>>
>> Any ideas if I might have a chance to salvage the plants?
>
> i have no idea about potatoes other than some vague
> knowledge.
>
> have you grown potatoes in that same space before?
> do you rotate your plantings to avoid diseases being
> able to persist?

No, brand new plot. First season growing in it.

> has it been hot and dry or wet and cool or ?

mostly hot and dry. Though we did (finally) get rain last week, after a
few days of rather awful air conditions thanks to the canadian
wildfires.

Wondering a little bit if that didn't stress the plants out. Time will
tell if the pruning was enough to save the plants ...

> did you apply compost or use some other amendments
> or fertilizers or sprays?

Just some slow-release general fertilizer to mix in with the topsoil /
native soil in that plot. I forget the exact N-P-K mix though.

> it has been rather dry here, if i'd not been able to
> water i'd not have much of a garden at all right now.

Same.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<176a8f0ce69b839f$2378$1701657$c9d343d6@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=706&group=rec.gardens.edible#706

From: 25c5f016...@example.com (Robert666)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:31:35 +0000
 by: Robert666 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:31 UTC

Could be a few things as mentioned already. Most common cause, black spots on any type of leaves in the Northern hemisphere lately are mould, due to a lot of rain for a while, in the winter/spring, then dry periods. Fungus/mould spores love these conditions.

*You can safely try this. *
Mix a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into a gallon of water, then spray on all over the entire plant leaves. It will take a while to cure, as will not suddenly disappear.
Mould needs acidic PH levels to grow, and by using/adding Bicarbonate of Soda, you are changing the PH slightly to be more alkaline, which will stop/kill any moulds spores in their tracks.

Another thing, if Potatoes, is use a mulch under the leaves, on top of the actual soil, this helps trap moisture in the mulch, instead of the leaves. The leaves will eventually start to go from green to yellow and fall off, long before end of season, for a few reasons, other than what I mention here.

Another nature product is Neems oil, also mixed and sprayed on, which is safe on any leaf plant, indoors and out, good for a variety of bugs that eat or live in leaves.
This is just another in a line of probable causes and fixes.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/edible/blight-on-my-potatoes-3317842-.htm

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<slrnu95tsu.f1p.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=707&group=rec.gardens.edible#707

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:12:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:12 UTC

On 2023-06-21, Robert666 wrote:
> Could be a few things as mentioned already. Most common cause, black
> spots on any type of leaves in the Northern hemisphere lately are
> mould, due to a lot of rain for a while, in the winter/spring, then
> dry periods. Fungus/mould spores love these conditions.

Well, it's been pretty super dry until we got the rain last week, so
I've been watering by hand (and doing my best to water the dirt rather
than the leaves).

> *You can safely try this. *
> Mix a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into a gallon of water, then
> spray on all over the entire plant leaves. It will take a while to
> cure, as will not suddenly disappear.

I'll keep this in mind if I see any more. I cut out a lot of the
leaves in hope if it was something, I could get to it before it traveled
farther.

This opened up the plot considerably (hopefully not to the detriment of
the plants!), so perhaps the additional light / airflow between the
plants will help things as well...

> [...]
> Another thing, if Potatoes, is use a mulch under the leaves, on top of
> the actual soil, this helps trap moisture in the mulch, instead of the
> leaves. The leaves will eventually start to go from green to yellow
> and fall off, long before end of season, for a few reasons, other than
> what I mention here.

Have woodchips beneath them (probably technically wrong to do for a
vegetable garden, but it's what I could get my hands on ... and the
potatoes grew up through it fine)

> Another nature product is Neems oil, also mixed and sprayed on, which
> is safe on any leaf plant, indoors and out, good for a variety of bugs
> that eat or live in leaves.

Haven't noticed any bug damage ... but I've heard a few references to
neem oil -- it wouldn't affect pollinators or anything, right?

> This is just another in a line of probable causes and fixes.

Thanks for the ideas :)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<m8mbmj-1i3.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=708&group=rec.gardens.edible#708

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:48:54 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:48 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> Haven't noticed any bug damage ... but I've heard a few references to
> neem oil -- it wouldn't affect pollinators or anything, right?

it won't make any difference for potatoes unless you're
planning on collecting the seeds and replanting them.

songbird

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<u6vcns$2vfmp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=709&group=rec.gardens.edible#709

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:41:23 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:41 UTC

On 6/21/2023 11:48 AM, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> Haven't noticed any bug damage ... but I've heard a few references to
>> neem oil -- it wouldn't affect pollinators or anything, right?
>
> it won't make any difference for potatoes unless you're
> planning on collecting the seeds and replanting them.
>

> songbird

Was he wondering about the potatoes not getting pollinated , or was
he concerned about damage to the pollinator population ? I did a little
poking around , neem oil can cause damage to bees and probably other
pollinators if not used properly .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<slrnu986pd.f1p.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=710&group=rec.gardens.edible#710

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:56:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:56 UTC

On 2023-06-21, Snag wrote:
> On 6/21/2023 11:48 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Dan Purgert wrote:
>>> Haven't noticed any bug damage ... but I've heard a few references to
>>> neem oil -- it wouldn't affect pollinators or anything, right?
>>
>> it won't make any difference for potatoes unless you're
>> planning on collecting the seeds and replanting them.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> Was he wondering about the potatoes not getting pollinated , or was
> he concerned about damage to the pollinator population ? I did a little
> poking around , neem oil can cause damage to bees and probably other
> pollinators if not used properly .

Sorry, yes, I was (am) concerned about accidentally killing off the
beneficial bugs from applications of anything ... it's bad enough
suburbia here is a desolate wasteland of mowed lawns without me
accidentally poisoning them.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Blight(?) on my potatoes :(

<j8ghmj-mk8.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=711&group=rec.gardens.edible#711

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:43:15 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 21:43 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> Sorry, yes, I was (am) concerned about accidentally killing off the
> beneficial bugs from applications of anything ... it's bad enough
> suburbia here is a desolate wasteland of mowed lawns without me
> accidentally poisoning them.

look into putting up some insect hotels. :)

songbird