From: rtr...@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.internet.services.google,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Tech types think Big Tech is too powerful ....and wants to work
more closely with China
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:49:38 +0800
 by: rtr - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:49 UTC

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:18:53 -0000 (UTC)
"4urEyezOnly" <no@no.com> wrote:

> A news source you may have noticed I’ve picked up lately is Protocol,
> who gives some pretty good coverage of the tech space with a focus on
> what’s going on in China. Recently they undertook a survey with
> 1,578 members of the US tech community. Among the results was a
> surprising consensus among this group that “Big Tech” is both too
> powerful and causes more harm than good.
>
> More than 40% feel that Amazon, Google, Facebook and Apple should be
> broken up.

This is true. The "internet" for the most part are just these 4
companies and it's disgusting to think that is the case.

> Another item is co-operation with Law Enforcement, where 44% of the
> respondents felt that Big Tech should not cooperate with Law
> Enforcement Agencies.
>
> That said, over half the respondents want better relations with China
> and that if a Cold War with China were to erupt (I think we’re a
> little past that, tbh), it would “cripple U.S Tech Companies.”
>
> The issue as I see it is where in the US, Big Tech is emerging as
> another check against state power, à la Network State vs Nation State
> that we talk about in the AxisOfEasy salons so often, in China's Big
> Tech is the State, or at least just an appendage of it.
>
> I think if Big Tech here thinks they can bring China around to a more
> classically liberal economy through osmosis, remember that's what the
> Western diplomats thought would happen since their admittance to the
> WTO, and that isn’t exactly how things have played out.

I doubt they've ever thought about it that way.

> Instead, as per James Green’s lengthy account of US-China relation to
> liberalism:
>
> "China is now presenting itself as an alternative model to liberal
> democracy in the areas of economic management, political governance,
> media manipulation, and technology control. “
> <https://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/viewpoint/defense-of-diplomacy-china>
>
> Let's face it for what it is: Big Tech wants to work with China
> because a) China throws a lot of money around and is one of the
> forces (along with Saudi Arabia) buoying up unicorn valuations in
> Silicon Valley and b) they’re salivating over the prospect of gaining
> access to the Chinese market and are willing (despite their
> performative woke-isms at home) to turn a blind eye to the systemic
> human rights abuses there.
>
> <https://www.protocol.com/newsletters/protocol-china/tech-workers-on-china>

This is the issue isn't it. All these multi-national companies want to
have a share of the "china-pie" that they're willing to turn a blind
eye and even openly supportive to the draconic systems china has been
espousing. No matter how I look at it the future is very bleak for all
of us.