From: ger...@bigpond.net.au (gerson)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Subject: BB Sudoku April 10
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:48:34 +1000
 by: gerson - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 00:48 UTC

It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super Hard' were swapped

Re: BB Sudoku April 10

<EdydnaGSl47Mx-n9nZ2dnUU78cfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=67&group=rec.puzzles#67

Subject: Re: BB Sudoku April 10
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:33:54 +0100
 by: Mike Terry - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:33 UTC

On 12/04/2021 01:48, gerson wrote:
> It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super
> Hard' were swapped

What leads you say that?

I tried both puzzles, and the solutions for both came quicker than
average, and I wouldn't say I found one harder than the other.
Sometimes it just goes that way. (I was using "show squares with a.."
feature, and allowed myself multiple uses of the "auto pencil marks"
feature.)

I think the difference between the two gradings is the techniques
required to solve them, so a "super hard" puzzle shouldn't be solvable
with just the "very hard" techniques - are you saying you think that it
was? I don't really think about the techniques I use, and have the same
approach regardless of the puzzle grade. I don't instantly recognise
the names of most the techniques listed on the help page!

Mike.

Re: BB Sudoku April 10

<s51n7q$297$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=68&group=rec.puzzles#68

From: richard....@gmail.com (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:59:05 +0100
 by: Richard Harnden - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:59 UTC

On 12/04/2021 15:33, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 12/04/2021 01:48, gerson wrote:
>> It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super
>> Hard' were swapped
>
> What leads you say that?
>
> I tried both puzzles, and the solutions for both came quicker than
> average, and I wouldn't say I found one harder than the other. Sometimes
> it just goes that way.  (I was using "show squares with a.." feature,
> and allowed myself multiple uses of the "auto pencil marks" feature.)
>
> I think the difference between the two gradings is the techniques
> required to solve them, so a "super hard" puzzle shouldn't be solvable
> with just the "very hard" techniques - are you saying you think that it
> was?  I don't really think about the techniques I use, and have the same
> approach regardless of the puzzle grade.  I don't instantly recognise
> the names of most the techniques listed on the help page!

The answer button used to open a new tab with all the required steps set
out in detail. Now it justs populates the grid with the solution.
That's a shame.

Re: BB Sudoku April 10

<25udnfpY2ti4bun9nZ2dnUU78cHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=69&group=rec.puzzles#69

From: ger...@bigpond.net.au (gerson)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:25:52 +1000
 by: gerson - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 01:25 UTC

"Mike Terry" wrote in message news:EdydnaGSl47Mx-n9nZ2dnUU78cfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk...

On 12/04/2021 01:48, gerson wrote:
> It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super
> Hard' were swapped

What leads you say that?

I tried both puzzles, and the solutions for both came quicker than
average, and I wouldn't say I found one harder than the other.
Sometimes it just goes that way. (I was using "show squares with a.."
feature, and allowed myself multiple uses of the "auto pencil marks"
feature.)

I think the difference between the two gradings is the techniques
required to solve them, so a "super hard" puzzle shouldn't be solvable
with just the "very hard" techniques - are you saying you think that it
was? I don't really think about the techniques I use, and have the same
approach regardless of the puzzle grade. I don't instantly recognise
the names of most the techniques listed on the help page!

Mike.

At first I couldn't solve the "very hard" without using "super hard"
techniques, and didn't need any "super hard" techniques to solve
the "super hard". I've just done the "very hard" one again, and
didn't need any "super hard" this time. Obviously overlooked
something. From time to time the "super hard" ones don't need
any of the extra "super hard" techniques.

Re: BB Sudoku April 10

<S6CdnbUDZL4Bler9nZ2dnUU78dPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=71&group=rec.puzzles#71

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:22:04 +0100
 by: Mike Terry - Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:22 UTC

On 13/04/2021 02:25, gerson wrote:

> "Mike Terry"  wrote in message
> On 12/04/2021 01:48, gerson wrote:
>> It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super
>> Hard' were swapped
>
> What leads you say that?
>
> I tried both puzzles, and the solutions for both came quicker than
> average, and I wouldn't say I found one harder than the other. Sometimes
> it just goes that way.  (I was using "show squares with a.." feature,
> and allowed myself multiple uses of the "auto pencil marks" feature.)
>
> I think the difference between the two gradings is the techniques
> required to solve them, so a "super hard" puzzle shouldn't be solvable
> with just the "very hard" techniques - are you saying you think that it
> was?  I don't really think about the techniques I use, and have the same
> approach regardless of the puzzle grade.  I don't instantly recognise
> the names of most the techniques listed on the help page!
>

> Mike.
>>>>>>>> > >

> At first I couldn't solve the "very hard" without using "super hard"
> techniques, and didn't need any "super hard" techniques to solve
> the "super hard". I've just done the "very hard" one again, and
> didn't need any "super hard" this time. Obviously overlooked
> something. From time to time the "super hard" ones don't need
> any of the extra "super hard" techniques.

The last point you make is a little surprising. The puzzles are
computer generated, so it would be straight forward for the generator to
know whether a puzzle can be solved using just the techniques for "very
hard" puzzles. It would just ask is this solvable using "very hard"
techniques and if "yes", then the puzzle is at most "very hard". (It
can then ask if the puzzle is solvable using just "hard" techniques, and
if so then "very hard" is the correct grade, and so on. Simples! :)

Of course, there could be bugs in the solver, or maybe it doesn't do the
checks I suggested but that would be a lot of work to veryify...

Mike.

Re: BB Sudoku April 10

<CISdnZz0ApLyl-r9nZ2dnUU78XOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=72&group=rec.puzzles#72

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:29:52 +0100
 by: Mike Terry - Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:29 UTC

On 14/04/2021 16:22, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 13/04/2021 02:25, gerson wrote:
>>

>> "Mike Terry"  wrote in message
>> On 12/04/2021 01:48, gerson wrote:
>>> It seems to me that for April the 10th the 'Very Hard' and the 'Super
>>> Hard' were swapped
>>
>> What leads you say that?
>>
>> I tried both puzzles, and the solutions for both came quicker than
>> average, and I wouldn't say I found one harder than the other.
>> Sometimes it just goes that way.  (I was using "show squares with a.."
>> feature, and allowed myself multiple uses of the "auto pencil marks"
>> feature.)
>>
>> I think the difference between the two gradings is the techniques
>> required to solve them, so a "super hard" puzzle shouldn't be solvable
>> with just the "very hard" techniques - are you saying you think that
>> it was?  I don't really think about the techniques I use, and have the
>> same approach regardless of the puzzle grade.  I don't instantly
>> recognise the names of most the techniques listed on the help page!
>>

>> Mike.
>>>>>>>>> > >

>> At first I couldn't solve the "very hard" without using "super hard"
>> techniques, and didn't need any "super hard" techniques to solve
>> the "super hard". I've just done the "very hard" one again, and
>> didn't need any "super hard" this time. Obviously overlooked
>> something. From time to time the "super hard" ones don't need
>> any of the extra "super hard" techniques.
>
> The last point you make is a little surprising.  The puzzles are
> computer generated, so it would be straight forward for the generator to
> know whether a puzzle can be solved using just the techniques for "very
> hard" puzzles.  It would just ask is this solvable using "very hard"
> techniques and if "yes", then the puzzle is at most "very hard".  (It
> can then ask if the puzzle is solvable using just "hard" techniques, and
> if so then "very hard" is the correct grade, and so on.  Simples! :)

correction:
... if NOT, then "very hard" is the correct grade...