The idle man does not know what it is to enjoy rest.

interests / rec.woodworking / Swing out shop doors

SubjectAuthor
* Swing out shop doorsSonny
+* Re: Swing out shop doorskrw
+* Re: Swing out shop doorsrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|`* Re: Swing out shop doorsJ. Clarke
| +* Re: Swing out shop doorsDerbyDad03
| |`- Re: Swing out shop doorskrw
| `* Re: Swing out shop doorsSonny
|  +- Re: Swing out shop doorsSonny
|  `- Re: Swing out shop doorskrw
`- Re: Swing out shop doorsswalker

1
Swing out shop doors

<cac81b11-8021-438a-bd1f-818db4c0c611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7100&group=rec.woodworking#7100

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Swing out shop doors
From: cedarso...@aol.com (Sonny)
 by: Sonny - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:48 UTC

I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/

I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.

Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.

For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.

Sonny

Re: Swing out shop doors

<8bmrbhp8dfno7j1uq6dpkgfbt13ba9rce3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7104&group=rec.woodworking#7104

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Swing out shop doors
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 13:14:49 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:14 UTC

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedarsonny@aol.com>
wrote:

>I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
>
>I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
>
>Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.
>
>For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.

At more than $9K, More plywood to fix the doors now and more plywood
in ten years. Although in ten years a sheet of plywood may be more
than that. I'd make sure nothing was growing near it.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<UXkvK.393734$5fVf.41394@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7105&group=rec.woodworking#7105

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:20:52 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:20 UTC

>On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedarsonny@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
>>
>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>>I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
>>
>>Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.

I suspect the 20' single-wide was a stock item. Assemble the panels,
apply the hardware and go. Your 10' wide double door most likely
requires custom fabrication and the corresponding labor and material
costs. Plus profit.

>>For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.

Not around here, it would cost more just to pour the foundation.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<3677346f-2b8a-4381-9f1b-6432f8119824n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7108&group=rec.woodworking#7108

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:46:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 21:46 UTC

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:48:36 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
> I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
>
> I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
>
> Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.
>
> For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.
>
> Sonny

Suggestions:
1. Make some new swing out doors. Use all green treated wood and plywood. Paint and prime thoroughly. They should last at least 10-15-20 more years.
2. Call up your door guy again, and others in the area, and ask about stock items. What sizes are available? As Scott mentioned, your size might be custom instead of stock. Then you would need to do some carpentry to make the stock door fit.
3. I just checked Menards and they have a single roll up garage door for about $850. Insulated. 9' wide, 8' high. I suspect you could do some easy carpentry work to make it fit your slightly wider opening. I assume when you buy a garage door it comes with the guides and rollers. Or are they extra? But still 10% of your current quote.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<mu9tbhhskob5csmk4if4f6jdd0r24m528a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7112&group=rec.woodworking#7112

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 03:53:43 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 07:53 UTC

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:46:52 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:48:36 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
>> I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
>>
>> Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.
>>
>> For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.
>>
>> Sonny
>
>Suggestions:
>1. Make some new swing out doors. Use all green treated wood and plywood. Paint and prime thoroughly. They should last at least 10-15-20 more years.

Judicious use of vinyl planking might be helpful.

>2. Call up your door guy again, and others in the area, and ask about stock items. What sizes are available? As Scott mentioned, your size might be custom instead of stock. Then you would need to do some carpentry to make the stock door fit.
>3. I just checked Menards and they have a single roll up garage door for about $850. Insulated. 9' wide, 8' high. I suspect you could do some easy carpentry work to make it fit your slightly wider opening. I assume when you buy a garage door it comes with the guides and rollers. Or are they extra? But still 10% of your current quote.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<a04d7d4e-2c9a-4755-8ddb-8009bd28f5a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7113&group=rec.woodworking#7113

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 05:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:40 UTC

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 3:53:48 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:46:52 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:48:36 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
> >> I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
> >>
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
> >>
> >> I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
> >>
> >> Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.
> >>
> >> For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.
> >>
> >> Sonny

..
> Judicious use of vinyl planking might be helpful.

....and very, very heavy. Gonna need some beefy hinges.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<bf5e8b04-e824-4318-a15e-2264577861ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7114&group=rec.woodworking#7114

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 06:22:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: cedarso...@aol.com (Sonny)
 by: Sonny - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 13:22 UTC

The back of the shop, where the doors are, is also the back of the original open car port of the old rent house. When I moved the house to this location I enlarged the garage width by 1' and length by 6' and enclosed it. That garage area is now as deep as the house/shop is wide.... and I poured a 6" slab, there, before construction. That area has 11' wide 23' long workable space, has the 8" & 16" jointers, anvil, 20" band saw and some lumber storage, plus an attic area for storage.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4733388243/in/photostream

A roll up or typical garage door can't be installed, the interior ceiling joists are too low. There is a hang down (from ceiling joists) shelf near the doors and some dust collection hose in the mix, there, as well. The ply doors work find, just rotting in places and I thought to have new more light weight doors made, though the present weight of the doors is not a problem with 4 heavy hinges each.

What I originally thought was, might it be more convenient to buy new doors or make new ones, myself. I thought new doors' price would be within a reasonable price. $9K+ was not reasonable, but outrageous. I'll make new doors. I priced 3 sheets of treated 1/2" ply - about $60 each. I'll go look at Lowes' Fabral 5 ribbed roofing panels - 12' long, 3.14' wide, about $70 each, I need 4 panels - and see how much they weight, compared to the ply sheets.

*What I should have said earlier was, I could build a SMALL shop for $9K. A 12'X24' slab would require about 6 yards of concrete, at $150 a yard, the slab would only cost $900.

Sonny

Re: Swing out shop doors

<87f244dc-f915-408e-9f86-7f15b8c7705fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7115&group=rec.woodworking#7115

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 06:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: cedarso...@aol.com (Sonny)
 by: Sonny - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 13:23 UTC

Forgot to add this link.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fabral-5-Rib-3-14-ft-x-12-ft-Ribbed-Metal-Roof-Panel/3054943

Re: Swing out shop doors

<qr5ubhdj5mvqheuvkd4dvbs8thg1343m3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7119&group=rec.woodworking#7119

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 11:52:02 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 15:52 UTC

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 05:40:37 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 3:53:48 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:46:52 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
>> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>.
>> Judicious use of vinyl planking might be helpful.
>
>...and very, very heavy. Gonna need some beefy hinges.

It's hard to tell by the pictures if this is climate controlled space
but maybe barn doors? All of the hardware is available at Tractor
Supply.

Re: Swing out shop doors

<m66ubhlcbnp44l7ih17co9d7lchq97p6kc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7120&group=rec.woodworking#7120

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:01:38 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:01 UTC

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 06:22:22 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedarsonny@aol.com>
wrote:

>The back of the shop, where the doors are, is also the back of the original open car port of the old rent house. When I moved the house to this location I enlarged the garage width by 1' and length by 6' and enclosed it. That garage area is now as deep as the house/shop is wide.... and I poured a 6" slab, there, before construction. That area has 11' wide 23' long workable space, has the 8" & 16" jointers, anvil, 20" band saw and some lumber storage, plus an attic area for storage.
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4733388243/in/photostream
>
>A roll up or typical garage door can't be installed, the interior ceiling joists are too low. There is a hang down (from ceiling joists) shelf near the doors and some dust collection hose in the mix, there, as well. The ply doors work find, just rotting in places and I thought to have new more light weight doors made, though the present weight of the doors is not a problem with 4 heavy hinges each.

I put in overhead doors with just short of an 8' ceiling. Overhead
Door Company had special low-overhead rails for that purpose. It was a
few bucks extra.

>What I originally thought was, might it be more convenient to buy new doors or make new ones, myself. I thought new doors' price would be within a reasonable price. $9K+ was not reasonable, but outrageous. I'll make new doors. I priced 3 sheets of treated 1/2" ply - about $60 each. I'll go look at Lowes' Fabral 5 ribbed roofing panels - 12' long, 3.14' wide, about $70 each, I need 4 panels - and see how much they weight, compared to the ply sheets.
>
>*What I should have said earlier was, I could build a SMALL shop for $9K. A 12'X24' slab would require about 6 yards of concrete, at $150 a yard, the slab would only cost $900.

Plus a *lot* of labor. I want to price a couple of slabs, one behind
my house (limited access) but will wait until I'm ready to spend the
$$. I'm wondering what it'll cost finished. $500/yd? 1000/yd? Each
would be somewhat under 3 yd (4" thick).

Re: Swing out shop doors

<erq0chh4f254v9kna4aracr9mm39rclkbi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7136&group=rec.woodworking#7136

From: sw...@newsguy.com (swalker)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 11:05:00 -0500
 by: swalker - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:05 UTC

wrote:

>I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/52184627459/in/dateposted-public/
>
>I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.
>
>Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.
>
>For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.
>
>Sonny

If weight isn't a problem then take a look at Advantech for the doors.
Painted well they will last a long time.
I had a piece approximately 5" X 8' long left over from some work I
did and left it outside unpainted for 5 years and it had minimal
damage from rain.