From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: first significant rain in a while
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 20:07:13 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 00:07 UTC

we've had a few sprinkles between Apr 5 and now,
but probably all totalled less than a half inch of
rain. normal for us is about 3 inches of rain a
month.

a bit ago we had a whopping 3/8 of an inch of
rain and better yet more chances for tonight and
tomorrow and even through the week.

it will be really nice to not have to water. :)

i finished planting gardens yesterday and did
a bit more today but nothing extensive as it was
outside the fenced area so critters may eat it.
just testing some things out to see how they go.

on the whole most things i've planted have
been sprouting and growing but slowly as they
just do not do as good as they would otherwise
do with rain water. the well water is not so
bad that it would kill plants, but it has some
calcium and rust in it which will eventually
affect the pH of the gardens. along with it
mostly being clay some gypsum and sulfur are
amendments i should get from time to time and
check the pH, but as of yet in almost 20yrs of
gardening here i've not done it. plenty of
organic matter is also a good thing and any
green manure crops i can grow and turn under
are very helpful.

songbird

Re: first significant rain in a while

<u7c882$vhvg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=713&group=rec.gardens.edible#713

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: first significant rain in a while
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:44:27 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 14:44 UTC

On 6/25/2023 8:07 PM, songbird wrote:
> we've had a few sprinkles between Apr 5 and now,
> but probably all totalled less than a half inch of
> rain. normal for us is about 3 inches of rain a
> month.
>
> a bit ago we had a whopping 3/8 of an inch of
> rain and better yet more chances for tonight and
> tomorrow and even through the week.
>
> it will be really nice to not have to water. :)

That's good! It was like that most of May and half of June here, but
the rain started a couple of weeks ago, and we've got a fair bit since.
Gardens have been in, but I should put chicken wire around them. I
just planted a peach tree in my front yard.

Re: first significant rain in a while

<u7clvq$11l10$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=714&group=rec.gardens.edible#714

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 13:38:47 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:38 UTC

On 6/26/2023 9:44 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/25/2023 8:07 PM, songbird wrote:
>>    we've had a few sprinkles between Apr 5 and now,
>> but probably all totalled less than a half inch of
>> rain.  normal for us is about 3 inches of rain a
>> month.
>>
>>    a bit ago we had a whopping 3/8 of an inch of
>> rain and better yet more chances for tonight and
>> tomorrow and even through the week.
>>
>>    it will be really nice to not have to water.  :)
>
> That's good!  It was like that most of May and half of June here, but
> the rain started a couple of weeks ago, and we've got a fair bit since.
>  Gardens have been in, but I should put chicken wire around them.  I
> just planted a peach tree in my front yard.

We've enjoyed a fair amount of rain this year , and mostly well timed
.. We got a half inch yesterday afternoon . Other parts of the county got
more , but it was mostly in the form of destructive hail . Busted every
single skylight at our local WallyWorld . My neighbor was on the road
when it hit , busted his truck windshield and I hear his hood and cab
roof are covered with dents .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .