From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: seed planting question
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:26:19 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:26 UTC

Hi All,

I planted a bunch of very small tomatillo
seeds this year in my ground pots. And
they came up, Yippee!

But I did notice something. Some of them came
up about 8 to 10 inches away from where I
planted them.

I tried not to water gently and not too violently
so I would not wash the seeds up. But apparently,
I did anyway.

Okay, what did I do wrong? Water to violently
by mistake? Not pack them deep enough? (I
did about 1/2 inch.) Not press down on the
fill dirt hard enough? Something else?

Perplexed,
-T

Re: seed planting question

<ueibnj-uod.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=727&group=rec.gardens.edible#727

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: seed planting question
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:00:14 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:00 UTC

T wrote:

> Okay, what did I do wrong? Water to violently
> by mistake? Not pack them deep enough? (I
> did about 1/2 inch.) Not press down on the
> fill dirt hard enough? Something else?
>
> Perplexed,

this sort of thing is why many people will do
starts in seed trays/cells and then transplant
later.

usually for me when this sort of thing happens
it means the seeds were not planted deep enough
for the type of soil and seeds being used. my
method of planting seeds is a bit rough and the
depth may vary but i usually have good enough
results that i've not had to change.

after planting the soil should be moist enough
that when you firm it down a bit then that should
hold the seeds in place at their proper depth. if
your garden soil is too dry to start with then
these goals can be a bit more difficult to
accomplish.

songbird

Re: seed planting question

<u7v878$3pg9g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=729&group=rec.gardens.edible#729

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:40:24 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:40 UTC

On 7/3/23 12:00, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:

>> Okay, what did I do wrong? Water to violently
>> by mistake? Not pack them deep enough? (I
>> did about 1/2 inch.) Not press down on the
>> fill dirt hard enough? Something else?
>>
>> Perplexed,
>
> this sort of thing is why many people will do
> starts in seed trays/cells and then transplant
> later.
>
> usually for me when this sort of thing happens
> it means the seeds were not planted deep enough
> for the type of soil and seeds being used. my
> method of planting seeds is a bit rough and the
> depth may vary but i usually have good enough
> results that i've not had to change.
>
> after planting the soil should be moist enough
> that when you firm it down a bit then that should
> hold the seeds in place at their proper depth. if
> your garden soil is too dry to start with then
> these goals can be a bit more difficult to
> accomplish.
>

> songbird

Hi Songbird,

I think you called it!

The top 1" of the sold was rather fine and dry.
Because the tomatillo seeds were smaller than
onion seeds, I did not want to plant too deep,
so I was still in the dry stuff.

On the other hard, my onions seeds came up nicely
for once (I took Mike's advice a watered them
every day), but what I did differently was carve
a 2" deep trough into the soil, which did hit
the damp/moist stuff.

Nice of the tomatillo to come up anyway! Next
time I turn over about 4" of the soil so I
make sure I get damp/moist stuff.

-T