You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of people.

interests / rec.birds / What Bird is This?

SubjectAuthor
* What Bird is This?jmcquown
+* Re: What Bird is This?Leon Fisk
|`* Re: What Bird is This?jmcquown
| `* Re: What Bird is This?Leon Fisk
|  `* Re: What Bird is This?jmcquown
|   `* Re: What Bird is This?Leon Fisk
|    `- Re: What Bird is This?jmcquown
`- Update: (WAS: Re: What Bird is This?)jmcquown

1
What Bird is This?

<lQgSI.14975$6h1.7556@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=75&group=rec.birds#75

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Subject: What Bird is This?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 18:47:43 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 22:47 UTC

It appears to be mostly olive green. Seems I should recognize it but I
don't.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4Nh0zTv/001.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9McFLMwv/004.jpg

Thanks!

Jill <-- in Southern South Carolina

Re: What Bird is This?

<sfe02i$9io$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=76&group=rec.birds#76

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: What Bird is This?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 11:26:10 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:26 UTC

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 18:47:43 -0400
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>It appears to be mostly olive green. Seems I should recognize it but I
>don't.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/L4Nh0zTv/001.jpg
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/9McFLMwv/004.jpg
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jill <-- in Southern South Carolina

Guessing... maybe Yellow Warbler. Would like to see the front, breast
area and check for any red streaks. Can you have it re-pose for some
more celebrity photos? ;-)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow_Warbler/id

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: What Bird is This?

<rnASI.22659$WG5.20618@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=77&group=rec.birds#77

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 17:02:13 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 21:02 UTC

On 8/16/2021 11:26 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 18:47:43 -0400
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It appears to be mostly olive green. Seems I should recognize it but I
>> don't.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/L4Nh0zTv/001.jpg
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/9McFLMwv/004.jpg
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jill <-- in Southern South Carolina
>
> Guessing... maybe Yellow Warbler. Would like to see the front, breast
> area and check for any red streaks. Can you have it re-pose for some
> more celebrity photos? ;-)
>
> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow_Warbler/id

Thanks, but I don't think that's it. It really is more olive green than
yellow and no sign of any red at all.

I know it's too big to be a pine warbler. I'm familiar with those and
they are a lot smaller and have more grey/white on their wings.

Here are a couple more photos taken at the same time:

https://i.postimg.cc/T3NW7nQm/003.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PfFsqx6y/006.jpg

I'd "tweet" and ask it to pose but I don't have a twitter account and
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, either. ;)

Jill <-- in Southern South Carolina

Re: What Bird is This?

<sfgbcd$llv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=78&group=rec.birds#78

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:51:25 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 12:51 UTC

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 17:02:13 -0400
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow_Warbler/id
>>
>Thanks, but I don't think that's it. It really is more olive green than
>yellow and no sign of any red at all.
>
>I know it's too big to be a pine warbler. I'm familiar with those and
>they are a lot smaller and have more grey/white on their wings.
>
>Here are a couple more photos taken at the same time:
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/T3NW7nQm/003.jpg
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/PfFsqx6y/006.jpg
>
>I'd "tweet" and ask it to pose but I don't have a twitter account and
>I'm pretty sure it doesn't, either. ;)

This is a bad time of the year for ID'ing many birds. Lots of muted
colors due to molting feathers and even more immature birds that don't
have adult colors yet. Sometimes all we can do is make a guess...

I'm going to stick with my guess though. The immature Yellow Warblers
colors are highly variable. The little streaks of yellow on top of the
tail and on the wings. Plus the beak shape and color are pretty close.
There are immature photos on the page I linked to above. You have to
hit the arrow button on the right of the photo strip to slide them
over...

Another clue might be if it sings. Yellow Warblers have a very
distinctive "Sweet-sweet-I'm-so-sweet" song. I ID more birds by song
nowadays than by sight. Ears work better than the old eyes :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: What Bird is This?

<vRUSI.220$kr4.24@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=79&group=rec.birds#79

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:19:37 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 20:19 UTC

On 8/17/2021 8:51 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 17:02:13 -0400
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow_Warbler/id
>>>
>> Thanks, but I don't think that's it. It really is more olive green than
>> yellow and no sign of any red at all.
>>
>> I know it's too big to be a pine warbler. I'm familiar with those and
>> they are a lot smaller and have more grey/white on their wings.
>>
>> Here are a couple more photos taken at the same time:
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/T3NW7nQm/003.jpg
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/PfFsqx6y/006.jpg
>>
>> I'd "tweet" and ask it to pose but I don't have a twitter account and
>> I'm pretty sure it doesn't, either. ;)
>
> This is a bad time of the year for ID'ing many birds. Lots of muted
> colors due to molting feathers and even more immature birds that don't
> have adult colors yet. Sometimes all we can do is make a guess...
>
> I'm going to stick with my guess though. The immature Yellow Warblers
> colors are highly variable. The little streaks of yellow on top of the
> tail and on the wings. Plus the beak shape and color are pretty close.
> There are immature photos on the page I linked to above. You have to
> hit the arrow button on the right of the photo strip to slide them
> over...
>
> Another clue might be if it sings. Yellow Warblers have a very
> distinctive "Sweet-sweet-I'm-so-sweet" song. I ID more birds by song
> nowadays than by sight. Ears work better than the old eyes :)

This bird apparently doesn't like to sing in the bathtub. :) I haven't
seen it since. Thanks for your help!

Jill

Re: What Bird is This?

<sfh8ps$b5h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=80&group=rec.birds#80

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:13:31 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:13 UTC

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:19:37 -0400
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>This bird apparently doesn't like to sing in the bathtub. :) I haven't
>seen it since. Thanks for your help!

Not much help I'm afraid... I should have told you it was a Blue Jay.
The fastest way to get replies, answers from people is to state
something that's obviously wrong :)

I've heard that birds kinda key off from the length of day. So as
fall rolls around and sunrise approaches spring time hours they
will start singing again. Albeit briefly. Also that immatures will
sing, sometimes odd, bits and pieces of songs as if they are practicing,
getting the hang of it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: What Bird is This?

<uoYSI.5$D16.4@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=81&group=rec.birds#81

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 20:21:43 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 00:21 UTC

On 8/17/2021 5:13 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:19:37 -0400
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> This bird apparently doesn't like to sing in the bathtub. :) I haven't
>> seen it since. Thanks for your help!
>
> Not much help I'm afraid... I should have told you it was a Blue Jay.
> The fastest way to get replies, answers from people is to state
> something that's obviously wrong :)

I could have pretended I didn't know what a Blue Jay looks like.
Granted, I haven't bought any raw in the shell peanuts and they love
those. They do show up occasionally after it rains to look for worms
and bugs but because they don't find peanuts they don't stick around. :)

> I've heard that birds kinda key off from the length of day. So as
> fall rolls around and sunrise approaches spring time hours they
> will start singing again. Albeit briefly. Also that immatures will
> sing, sometimes odd, bits and pieces of songs as if they are practicing,
> getting the hang of it...

Fall, perhaps. It's close to 90F here and it has been raining a lot.
Humid and not the time to have windows open nor to sit outside to hear
birds singing.

Sometimes I do hear night birds through the closed windows if they are
nearby in the trees. Owls hooting. Sometimes (but not yet this year)
Chuck Will's Widows call at dusk. I never see either one of those birds
but I know they're around.

And I did see a recently fledged hawk in the middle of the street when I
was leaving my driveway to go to work. Didn't have a camera with me but
it was a small one, newly fledged. It could fly, just wasn't sure which
way to go. Please just don't fly up into my car. It went back up onto
a branch.

Jill

Jill

Update: (WAS: Re: What Bird is This?)

<Hid_I.56786$g81.46248@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=84&group=rec.birds#84

Subject: Update: (WAS: Re: What Bird is This?)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 21:19:30 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 01:19 UTC

On 8/15/2021 6:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> It appears to be mostly olive green.  Seems I should recognize it but I
> don't.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/L4Nh0zTv/001.jpg
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/9McFLMwv/004.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill <-- in Southern South Carolina

I think I have discovered what this bird is. The man I work with told
me he's been seeing some Painted Buntings. The females and the immature
(under two years) are green to greenish yellow and look a bit like
Cardinals. Taking a further look, I think this is a Bunting.

I surely do wish I could see the brilliantly coloured mature males.
Apparently they like white thistle seed. I should change the seed in my
feeder to see if I'm right. :)

Jill